REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Nov 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #1,051 of 1,670
I've heard the S-1 speakers and however they were ok i won't go with them.
I need something that's less like a tipical desktop sound.
I will try to the paradigm micro monitors but i can only do that with normal sized amps, which would not fit onto my shelf system.

Do you have any suggestions for an amp with small footprint and capability to drive the paradigm?

Nov 26, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #1,052 of 1,670
I'm using the HDP with my headphones in the bedroom and in the living room as a dac with my speakers. I move the HDP around the house several times a week. Is there a risk of the rca connectors of the HDP wearing out? What would be the best sollution? 

I already happend to own this cable: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-RCA-PHONO-MALE-3-5MM-JACK-SOCKET-CABLE-ADAPTER-/310252063601?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item483c76cb71#ht_2251wt_907

Would it be okay to just plug that in to my HDP and use an 3.5mm to rca cable for my speakers?

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #1,053 of 1,670

I'm using the HDP with my headphones in the bedroom and in the living room as a dac with my speakers. I move the HDP around the house several times a week. Is there a risk of the rca connectors of the HDP wearing out? What would be the best sollution? 

I already happend to own this cable: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-RCA-PHONO-MALE-3-5MM-JACK-SOCKET-CABLE-ADAPTER-/310252063601?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item483c76cb71#ht_2251wt_907

Would it be okay to just plug that in to my HDP and use an 3.5mm to rca cable for my speakers?

I doubt you'll wear it out moving it around.

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #1,054 of 1,670
How much will I benefit from the Nuforce HDP over the Udac-2 RCA out with the Grado RS1i?
Will there be enough difference to merit the price in just the Dac performance alone?

I could see how with something like HD800, the HDP Dac will be perceivable, but with a Grado RS1i, I'm not sure it will really benefit?  

Thank you

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #1,055 of 1,670
HDP vs uDAC-2 as DACs, RS1i will not benefit much

However as you may have already figured, HDP's headphone amplifier is much better than the one in uDAC-2

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #1,056 of 1,670
Thank you.  I was going to upgrade to hdp, but I guess I will save my money.

Quote:
HDP vs uDAC-2 as DACs, RS1i will not benefit much

However as you may have already figured, HDP's headphone amplifier is much better than the one in uDAC-2

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #1,057 of 1,670

Quote:
How much will I benefit from the Nuforce HDP over the Udac-2 RCA out with the Grado RS1i?
Will there be enough difference to merit the price in just the Dac performance alone?

I could see how with something like HD800, the HDP Dac will be perceivable, but with a Grado RS1i, I'm not sure it will really benefit?  

Thank you

Well, to be honest the RS-1 will benefit more from a nice tube hybrid being fed by the uDAC-2...

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #1,058 of 1,670
Thanks.  I know this sounds weird but I guess it's about synergy but I found that my Setton Vintage Amp which is quite warm (in a good way, great bass authority without compromising treble detail) did better job than the Woo Audio 6(upgraded) for my grado.  So I guess the consensus is to keep the udac-2 over the hdp as a dac for my grado.

thank you

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #1,061 of 1,670

Quote:
Hi HeadphoneAddict, How does HDP compared with pico for HF-2? both as amp and dac.
And which amp you've tried is the best for hf-2 around 400 dollars? Thank you!

That's not as easy to answer as it seems.

For the HF-2 I think either HDP or Pico original with DAC sound good with them; however, with most Grados I still prefer a tube hybrid like EF1, EF2, EF5, Cavalli CTH, Millett Hybrid or a transformer coupled tube amp like WA6 or ZDT (The ALO amphora is an exception as it is a nice warm smooth battery powered SS amp that drives Grados well).  The HDP makes the HF-2 sound a little more aggressive but not bad, while the Pico was not quite warm enough sounding with most of my Grados except the HF-2 which did pair well with it.  The Pico is a little more laid back sounding and a little smoother than the HDP, but it's also less powerful and slightly less detailed.  That laid back and smooth signature makes Pico a good match for the HF-2 which are already a bit forward in the mids, upper mids and lower treble.  In my original Pico review I felt that it could stand to be a little warmer with the RS-1 which are not as warm and robust sounding as the HF-2 or PS-1000.  Basically the HDP amp section sounds quite similar to the balanced Protector portable amp but with more power than the Protector, and if I recall Skylab preferred that sound over the original Pico in his big portable amp review.

The sound is good enough with either amp that it's what else you plan to do with the DAC/amp that should be used to help make the decision - i.e. What other phones will you use with it?  Do you need portable?  How small does it need to be?  Do you need a lot of power?  Do you want to use the DAC as a pre-amp for a full size amp? Do you need optical and coax input in addition to analog and USB?  Do you want native 24/96 or up-sampled USB DAC?  Do you need the finer low volume control for IEM that the Pico offers?  (HDP's very low volume channel imbalance can be an issue with very sensitive IEM, but if listening with USB you can turn the volume down lower with the computer system volume)

For instance, I would reach for the HDP first with the LCD-2, HE-5 LE and HD600 that are hard to drive and laid back themselves; as well as with HE-6 and AKG K240M 600 ohm due to the extra power, or with the D2000/5000/D7000 where it brings out their mids better.  I'm not sure I prefer either amp with my HD800, which sound a little better on the full size amps that I mentioned above for Grados.  Although the Pico Slim has the extra warmth I like with the HD800 it lacks the power to play loud.  The ATH-ESW10 sound great with either amp, but my ATH-AD900 sound better with the HDP.  The HDP also seems to control the bass better with my UE11Pro where the bass was boomy with my Pico and Pico Slim.  And the HDP fills in the mids of my JH13Pro and UE11pro better than the Pico which mades them feel very slightly recessed.  On the other hand, the Pico was a better match with my Westone ES3X than the HDP. NOTE - I sold the original Pico around May before I got the ES5 this August, but the ES5 are good with Slim and HDP.  Having the Pico DAC-only feeding both the Pico Slim and Protector balanced amp made more sense than keeping the original Pico.

For slightly more money the HDP gives you many more features than Pico and can still sound decent your HF-2 while you save up for a bigger and better amp.  In my home laptop rig I've been using the HDP DAC to drive my ALO Amphora amp, where I use the Amphora with HD800 and HF-2, and the HDP built-in amp with the LCD-2, HE-5 LE, HE-6, ESW10, AD900, LA7000, K240M and HD600.  I also use the Pico DAC-only to drive my Pico Slim for ES5 and my Protector for a very small balanced JH13pro rig. (to avoid the hiss in the amphora with sensitive IEM).  

In your case, if you plan to drive very efficient phones and IEM, and you need portable, then the Pico would be a good choice, although at that point I might still suggest considering the iBasso D4 or D10 with upgraded opamps instead.  While the DACs are not quite as good as the HDP, these will save you a bit of money vs the Pico.  The D4 USB DAC is difficult to differentiate from the Pico DAC, while the stock amp section sounds like a cross between the Pico and P-51 - with new opamps it's a P-51 clone.  The stock D10 is a Predator clone, but with new opamps it sounds closer to the P-51 but not quite.  The D10's USB DAC is very slightly behind the Pico, but it's optical 24/96 DAC keeps up well.  I do find the HDP DAC to be a little more resolving, mostly with 24/96 hi-res downloads, and so I use it the most as my laptop's DAC.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #1,062 of 1,670
Thank you so much for so much useful informations!
I need an amp for home use only, but I prefer to carry the 'system' around my room, in most case I only need an headphone amp.
I felt hf-2 a bit soft for my personal preferance, so an amp could make the sound of hf-2 more agressive is desireable.
I don't have any iem at the moment (had several), and I will use iems or earbuds for portable use only. So the amp is intended to use for full size headphone(s).
My source is an ipod classic.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #1,063 of 1,670
Larry,

Is the HDP really capable of allowing the LCD-2, HE6, or HE5LE to offer a significantly better SQ experience than say HDP with HD600? I've read several of your previous comments about how good these ortho's can sound on your PWD and ZDT and how they are on another level compared to your HDP with the orthos. I'm specifically wondering if upgrading my HD650 to HE5LE or LCD-2 for use with my HDP would still offer an exciting upgrade now until I can upgrade to a really high end DAC and amp, which will take me forever (although I'm convinced I'll save for them). Any insight would be really appreciated.

Thanks-
Dave
Quote:
Quote:
Hi HeadphoneAddict, How does HDP compared with pico for HF-2? both as amp and dac.

...For instance, I would reach for the HDP first with the LCD-2, HE-5 LE and HD600 that are hard to drive and laid back themselves; as well as with HE-6 and AKG K240M 600 ohm due to the extra power...

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #1,064 of 1,670

Quote:
Larry,

Is the HDP really capable of allowing the LCD-2, HE6, or HE5LE to offer a significantly better SQ experience than say HDP with HD600? I've read several of your previous comments about how good these ortho's can sound on your PWD and ZDT and how they are on another level compared to your HDP with the orthos. I'm specifically wondering if upgrading my HD650 to HE5LE or LCD-2 for use with my HDP would still offer an exciting upgrade now until I can upgrade to a really high end DAC and amp, which will take me forever (although I'm convinced I'll save for them). Any insight would be really appreciated.

Thanks-
Dave
Quote:
Quote:

...For instance, I would reach for the HDP first with the LCD-2, HE-5 LE and HD600 that are hard to drive and laid back themselves; as well as with HE-6 and AKG K240M 600 ohm due to the extra power...

As I've posted before, I find that the HD600 and HDP are an excellent match, but those orthodynamic headphones above will step things up a notch over the HD600/650 in terms of speed, micro-detail, clarity, transparency, etc.  Even with the HDP driving them you will hear the upgrade in performance over something like the HD600/650.  

I've never been a big fan of the HD650 which seem to me to have a little less clarity and sparkle than the HD600 when under-amped, although with Blutarsky's Zana Deux I did really appreciate the HD650.  I bought those used HD650 from Blutarsky, but they never sounded as good in my rig at the time, and I only kept them for a month before I sold them over 2 years ago. 

I think that if you are a big HD650 Fan you will appreciate the HE-5 LE and LCD-2 more than the brighter HE-6, and the HDP will definitely let you enjoy the new phones until you can upgrade your amp. Although I'm on "Team Source First" now and the Perfectwave DAC improves the sound of any amp connected to it, with these orthodynamic headphones I think the HDP DAC feeding a high-end amp will sound better than a high-end DAC feeding the HDP amp. 

I'd say the LCD-2 are more like an HD-650 on steroids, and the HE-5 LE are more like a supercharged HD600.  So I also lean slightly toward the HE-5 LE due to my love for the HD600, while you may lean towards the LCD-2.  However, on the HDP the LCD-2 sound a little better than the HE-5 LE, while on the ZDT which has more power for difficult to drive phones I think the HE-5 LE are a little better than the LCD-2.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #1,065 of 1,670
I sold my dt880 and was going to get the HD650 for my HDP. I haven't yet purchased the HD650 because thomann just raised their prices. Anyhow, those comments above made me wonder should I get the HD600 after all. I can't find the HD600 used anywhere. New it costs 269€ when HD650 is usually around 250€ (now 285€). Which one should I go for? I'm planning to keep this setup for a very long time, at least for two to five years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back