REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Nov 8, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #1,036 of 1,670
If I want to use the HDP's dac only, and connect a separate amp with rca cables from the HDP, this is possible yes? What happens to the HDP's volume control in this situation? Do I need to just turn the HDP on and handle the volume from the connected amp? I'm really close to ordering both a bigger desktop amp and also a smaller amp for iem's - the HDP doesn't work too well with my iem's.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #1,037 of 1,670

Quote:
If I want to use the HDP's dac only, and connect a separate amp with rca cables from the HDP, this is possible yes? What happens to the HDP's volume control in this situation? Do I need to just turn the HDP on and handle the volume from the connected amp? I'm really close to ordering both a bigger desktop amp and also a smaller amp for iem's - the HDP doesn't work too well with my iem's.

The HDP volume control works with the RCA outs as well, you can use it as a pre-amp for driving a power amplifier.  But if you are talking about connecting it to another headphone amp, then I'd just leave it at max volume and use the volume control of the amp.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #1,038 of 1,670
Hello!

Earlier in this topic I told about comparisions I had done with the HDP and hd650,k701 and k601. I wasn't too happy with the HDP/HD650 combo, but the particular pair of hd650's I used were pretty rugged. Since everyone is telling how great combo the 650/HDP is, I had to try the combo again. Now I loaned another pair of hd650's and all I can say is wow! Awesome combo. How could this be? Placebo? Better pair of hd's? Amp burn in? 

This combo sounds great overall, but when i plug the HDP as a dac to my active monitors I feel like the dac is doing WAY more than it does with the HD650. I compared the HD650 trough the HDP amp dac'd and undac'd(from imac's hp. out to the HDP). Then I did the same thing with my monitors and I felt the difference was bigger with the monitors, or even with a crappy 50 euro "mini stereo" set.

Is my HDP's amp not burned in yet? Or do I need a better amp to get more benefit out of the dac section? 

Btw, I do think the HDP/HD650 combo is colored, but it is a great value for money.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #1,039 of 1,670
Although I might be mistaken, I think when you run active monitors off the HDP's RCA outs, the HDP is not only acting as a DAC but also a preamp.  So perhaps the preamp accounts for some of what you are hearing through the active monitors.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #1,040 of 1,670
Hello

The HDP DAC/amp is capable of receiving 96kHz/24bit signal but isn't this signal downsampled to 16/44 when it comes out of the computer's USB port? Somewhere i read that when i play high resolution audio files the high res is downsampled by the USB chip.

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #1,041 of 1,670

Quote:
Hello

The HDP DAC/amp is capable of receiving 96kHz/24bit signal but isn't this signal downsampled to 16/44 when it comes out of the computer's USB port? Somewhere i read that when i play high resolution audio files the high res is downsampled by the USB chip.

Not all USB receiver chips on a DAC downsamples the sample to 16/44, the one in HDP does not. I believe the HDP uses a Tenor USB chip since the HDP cannot handle 88.2kHz samples.

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #1,043 of 1,670
Hi

I'd like to setup a small system with amp and speakers. I'd use the Icon HDP as a pre-amp.
What speakers would you suggest?

Also, Can i use the HDP to drive the speakers or do i need a power amp that drives the speakers and the HDP is only used as a DAC/pre-amp?

I don't need a loud system, and the speakers' depth can not be more than 22-23 cm.

please let me know about your thoughts

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #1,044 of 1,670
If you use powered speakers (also called "active" speakers), then you don't need an additional power amp.  Just the HDP will do fine.  But if you use unpowered or "passive" speakers, then you would need a power amp in addition to the HDP.

Unless you already have a power amp, I would recommend using powered or active speakers with the HDP.  Such speakers come with an amp built in that is designed to be an optimal match for the speakers.  With such active speakers, the HDP will act as a preamp if the speakers are connected to the RCA outs on the back of the HDP and you would probably want to control the speaker volume mostly with the HDP.

As to which specific speakers to get, that is a hard one that depends on personal preference plus budget and space considerations.  I'm also in the process of trying to decide what powered speakers to get to connect up to the HDP.  At the low end, a lot of people seem to like the Audioengine A2's or A5's but I haven't personally heard them so can't say whether they would be a good choice or not.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #1,045 of 1,670

Quote:
I'd like to setup a small system with amp and speakers. I'd use the Icon HDP as a pre-amp.
What speakers would you suggest?
Also, Can i use the HDP to drive the speakers or do i need a power amp that drives the speakers and the HDP is only used as a DAC/pre-amp?
I don't need a loud system, and the speakers' depth can not be more than 22-23 cm.

I am running the Audioengine 5's with my HDP.  They are an excellent choice for the type (powered speakers).  But, I do know someone who is running a solid state outboard 50 wpc amp with some oversized desktop ribbon speakers and his sound is downright amazing.  I am thinking of making an upgrade to separates like his, but I need to try and clear some room on my desk first.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #1,046 of 1,670
Hi,
Thanks for your message regarding the Nuforce HDP Icon.
Harpua is right-on with his comments.  The Icon needs amping if you choose passive speakers.
As for choosing active speakers, your tastes, budget, and footprint specs will determine your choices.
Yamaha, M-Audio, Dynaudio, and Genelec are among the many brands that make great monitors.
I have Genelec 8030as active monitors and they sound substantially more detailed and defined than
when I use the Icon vs the Mac's IO or the Mbox alone.  You can always couple the power of my NAD 3556bee
receiver and push thtough a pair of KEF  q35's.  The Icon delivers great clean details.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #1,047 of 1,670
Hi guys

Thanks for your reply.

The footprint is quite small, my entire system is placed on a shelf with depth of 26 cm. (width is not a problem - 120 cm) The music i listen to is on a wide range. Some of my favourites: Massive Attack, Björk, Beethoven, Shakti...many. Whenever i listen to a system i always use acoustic songs. Acoustic instruments are the most important to me. My current setup is as follows:

iPod -->  Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod Transport -->  Nuforce HDP DAC/pre-amp  -->  Sennheiser HD650

I have had a look at various amps and speakers and tried to find the ones whose footprint matches my requirements.
Here's the speaker list:
-------------------------------
- Paradigm Micro Monitor - passive speaker - (WxHxD - 24.7 cm x 16.5 cm x 23.1 cm)
- TASCAM VL-M3 - Acitve speaker - with a built in 24w power amp.  Dimensions: 3.9" W x 6.0" H x 5.4" D
- Cambridge audio SL20 bookshelf - passive speaker - 198 x 129 x 178mm
- Cambridge audio S30 bookshelf - passive speaker - 226 x 160 x 235mm
- TEAC LS-H250-BK - passive speaker - 190 x 280 x 210 mm
- KEF C1 - passive speaker - 260 x 150 x 221 mm

Here is the amp list:
----------------------------
- russ andrews RAVE usb 1 amp
- nuforce Icon Amp
- kingrex
- peachtree audio (quite pricy compared to the others)

If i go with any of the passive speakers then i will need an amp. As i already have the Nuforce HDP, the Nuforce Icon Amp sounds like a logical choice. (please let me know if not or you have any experience with any of the other amps). I'm not familiar with all the technical specs. What should i consider when buying an amp and speakers to ensure the amp is powerful enough for the speakers?

Please let me know if you have any experience with any of the above amps and speakers. My intention is really to find the amp+speakers with great synergy.
Any help,idea is welcome.

Cheers,
David

EDIT: ah! and one more important thing! The back of the speakers will be very close to the wall - (2-3 cm) Is it a problem or sg i have to take into consideration when deciding upon the speaker to go with?

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #1,048 of 1,670
If you're looking at the Nuforce gear, might as well check out their speakers as well.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #1,049 of 1,670
Yes, just having a look at the Nuforce S-1 speakers. Do i need the Nuforce Icon stereo amp to drive these or can the HDP drive them?
I reckon i will need the stereo amp but please correct me if i'm wrong. I can't see any pictures of the back of the S-1 don't know what type of connection it has.

Could you also comment on the Icon Stereo amp with the Paradigm Micro Monitor speakers?
or the RAVE amp with the Paradigm Micro Monitor speakser ?

here is the tech. specs for the RAVE:
http://www.russandrews.com/viewindex.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&article_id=ravespecs&customer_id=PAA2373114710617WQQWVUKGJXJRDKPG

and specs for the Paradigm micro monitor:
http://www.paradigm.com/products/paradigm/bookshelf/monitor-series/micro-monitor

Thanks,
David

Nov 24, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #1,050 of 1,670
The Nuforce speakers are a little funny in that I don't think they can connect with a regular amp since they use RJ45 connectors. Maybe drop the HDP and consider the Icon-2 setup with the S-X speakers. That will simplify your gear and take up less desk space, as well as being cheaper overall. The headphone amp isn't quite as powerful, but you're also spending about half as much since this is an all-in-one unit as opposed to two separate pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back