REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Oct 24, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #1,021 of 1,670
Hello

I loaned some headphones and did some testing with the HDP during this weekend.

The headphones I used were: dt880/250, hd-650, k601 and k701. As mentioned before, the hd-650 is a good match with this amp/dac. Personally I still don't like the hd-650 with its boomy bass and all. The dt880/250 with the HDP wasn't either good. It had too high sound pressure & treble which was actually very painful. 

The k601 was quite neutral/good mach with the HDP, but when I heard the k701 with the HDP it made me wonder which one should I get. k601 or the k701? I think the k701 is a better headphone, but the brithgness with the HDP is causing me a little fatigue & some headache.

Will I get more used to the k701/HDP combo or will it be as fatiguing after a couple of weeks/months of use?

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #1,022 of 1,670
I would consider the HD 600 based on how well the HDP does with the HD series as it is known for being more balanced with less emphasis in the bass region. I think the HDP is perfectly fine with the K701 (haven't heard it with K601), but if you are already feeling it is a tad too analytical and fatiguing I would definitely look elsewhere. Overall, I think the HDP is a fairly analytical dac/amp so I personally wouldn't pair it with AKG's or even Audio Technica's. To me, it pairs better with Sennheiser's and Denon's. I also like it with certain Grado's like HF2. Then again I love my HD 650 with it so YMMV.

Also, almost all of the impressions that I have read or heard about with HDP and Beyers are pretty negative for the reasons you outlined in your comments.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #1,025 of 1,670
Judging from what I´ve read the new HD 650´s with the white mesh behind the grill are quite different from the originally "fun bass heavy" version. Could be he has the older version with the black mesh...

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #1,026 of 1,670
Thanks for the help! I will check the hd600 out next weekend.

I don't know which version it was, but I liked the other phones bass better. Has any one used the HDP with grados sr60? I like the k701 very much, but it would be nice to have other, more musical phones too.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #1,027 of 1,670

Quote:
Judging from what I´ve read the new HD 650´s with the white mesh behind the grill are quite different from the originally "fun bass heavy" version. Could be he has the older version with the black mesh...

Hmm.  I don't remember seeing any with a white mesh.  How old is the black mesh?  Is that version pretty much gone now from retailers' shelves?

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #1,028 of 1,670

Quote:

The version I used looked pretty bumed out. They had probably had about 5 years of use. So could the problem be what this article is all about? http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd650-600-and-580-updated-drivers/

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #1,029 of 1,670
I just got an HDP (my first DAC/headphone amp!) about 3 or 4 days ago and have been either listening (or just leaving it burning in) almost constantly since I got it.  I'm using it as a USB DAC and headphone amp plugged into my W7 laptop running Foobar/wasapi at zero db to the HDP.  I've really been enjoying the upgrade in sound the HDP provides over the stock sound of my HP laptop which I had previously thought was pretty good with my 530's.  But now after experiencing the difference the HDP makes, I know better. 

Compared to many here, I don't have a lot of money that I can spend on lots of audio equipment so the HDP's value proposition is very important for me.  Although I don't have anything besides my previous stock setup to compare it to, the increased fidelity, clarity, space, transparency, etc. it provides has been dramatic and a wonderful revelation for me, especially with lossless source material.  I didn't know my 530's could sound so good.  I have already started to rebuild my music library with more lossless material.

After seeing some of the comments in this thread about hiss and various volume pot issues, I feel really lucky because the pot on my unit is as close to flawless as I could reasonably expect.  I have zero detectable channel imbalance even at very soft volumes and I cannot discern any hiss at any volume I can reasonably tolerate with music playing through my Shure 530 IEM's which should certainly reveal it if any is there.  I can only hear some very faint, barely detectable hiss if I listen hard for it with the volume turned all the way to max while no music is playing.  Also when no music is playing, I can hear some faint crackling as I rotate the pot, but it only starts to occur when the pot has been turned past the 3:00 level (with HDP in vertical orientation).  But this is a complete non issue because the maximum volume I can comfortably listen to the HDP with the 530's is at about 9 to 9:30 with most material. 

In sum, hiss is absolutely not a problem for me at all with the HDP.  However, I'm 58 and my ability to hear high frequencies is most certainly diminished, probably a bit more than normal for my age.  So someone with more sensitive hearing would probably hear more hiss with my unit than I do.

The only disappointment I've experienced so far is that I don't find that the HDP sounds as good as the somewhat processed sound my stock sound card/driver puts out for ripped HD movies and I'm not sure why that would be.  Perhaps I haven't got my media player (Daum Pot Player) configured optimally for watching movies through the HDP. . . ?  This is something I need to investigate further.  But for music, the HDP is simply awesome compared to what I was used to listening to before.

Another thing I should mention is that I initially found I was getting some occasional annoying glitches in the sound that were obviously being generated by my computer through the USB connection.  Fortunately, these glitches appear to have been completely eliminated since I switched to using the HDP with Foobar with wasapi.  That appears to be a very significant advantage to using wasapi on my system.  And so far I'm finding it convenient to leave the default sound set to my computer's sound card, but keep Foobar set to use the HDP.

To sum up, although it was a significant chunk of change for me, I'm really glad I decided to spend the money on the HDP as it's providing me with a huge upgrade in sound for music in a nice looking and small easily transportable package. 

Edit:  Well, I've played with the audio settings in my video player and I'm pleased to find that after making some adjustments the HDP sounds much better for movies than I initially reported and is now providing an upgraded experience similar to what it does for music. 

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,030 of 1,670

Quote:
The version I used looked pretty bumed out. They had probably had about 5 years of use. So could the problem be what this article is all about? http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd650-600-and-580-updated-drivers/

I spent a lot of time investigating this, reading and experimenting. Here is a report of my experience:

Quote:
I compared new (white mesh) vs my old (black mesh), both were well burned-in.

Bad news: the sound is really different. Black is bassier, warmer and has "veil". White is lighter on bass, seems faster and has sibilance.

Not so bad news: It is hard to say which is better. Black is better with female vocals (Eva Cassidy), white is better with metal (Nightwish). I like different genres, so both cans suits me well.

Good news finally: Old pair has pads well-worn, so drivers are closer to ears. So I pressed new pair cups towards my ears... And the difference is gone!

I hope this helps if you are worried like I was: "Is my HD650 best of all these different HD650s?".

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #1,031 of 1,670

Quote:
The only disappointment I've experienced so far is that I don't find that the HDP sounds as good as the somewhat processed sound my stock sound card/driver puts out for ripped HD movies and I'm not sure why that would be.  Perhaps I haven't got my media player (Daum Pot Player) configured optimally for watching movies through the HDP. . . ?  This is something I need to investigate further.  But for music, the HDP is simply awesome compared to what I was used to listening to before.

It could be that your sound card is processing the movies' surround coding properly, while the HDP's DAC via USB is not. If you have an optical output to play with it would make for an interesting comparison IMO.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #1,032 of 1,670

Quote:

It could be that your sound card is processing the movies' surround coding properly, while the HDP's DAC via USB is not. If you have an optical output to play with it would make for an interesting comparison IMO.

Unfortunately, my HP DV8 laptop which is my only source available atm, doesn't have any optical outs afaik.  I know my laptop's internal card is processing movies surround correctly, down mixing it to stereo.  Not sure about the HDP's USB DAC.

But I've been enjoying music so much through the HDP and my 530's since I got it that I have had a hard time tearing myself away from that to watch any videos lately.  But I'm curious whether other people use the HDP for watching video files or not?

Edit:  Well, I've played with the audio settings in my video player and I'm pleased to find that after making some adjustments the HDP sounds much better for movies than I initially reported and is now providing an upgraded experience similar to what it does for music. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #1,033 of 1,670
Your DV8 has HDMI output right? There are HDMI to optical converters available.

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #1,035 of 1,670

Quote:
HeadphoneAddict, how did the HDP sound together with the HE6?

I thought they got along very well, although the EF5 and ZDT were a better match musically for their warmer tubey sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back