REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Sep 22, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #946 of 1,670
From two customer reviews in Amazon:

"With my HD650, a normal listening volume for me is at 10 o'clock with my Windows 7 computer sound set at 100% and my Winamp set at 80% sound. If the album is fairly soft like the Head-Fi "Open Your Ears" album, I need to turn it up a little to 11 o'clock. "

"The headphone amp is sufficient to drive my 650's louder than I would want to. I usually have volume between 1/2 to 3/4 (depending on source material) when using headphones. That's a bit higher than I would have expected, but means I still have some headroom so I think it's sufficient."

With my HD580 I am always between 1-3 o'clock (optical or windows at 100%, no gain, etc). Am I getting deaf or my unit is defective?

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #947 of 1,670
First review seems like he was using it horizontally, which in vertical it would be about 2 oclock. With D2000 I also have it around 1-2 oclock with a replaygain (3 oclock is too loud). Without the replaygain I'm guessing It'd be around 11-12 oclock.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #948 of 1,670
I have Nuforce HDP and HD 650. I always have my HDP in the vertical position and usually listen at 12 o'clock with the majority of my music and up to 1 o'clock with a few quieter albums. I have stumbled across an album or two that seem to be recorded so quietly that I will take it up to 2 o'clock.

I use foobar2000 with Wasapi output, but can't remember if I left replay gain on or not. However, when using my HDP and HD 650s through my Onkyo ND-S1 digital iPod dock and iPod classic 7g, I usually have the volume at the same settings listed above.

Overall, your volumes sound pretty realistic with my experiences and I would think you unit is perfectly normal. While I listen at 12 o'clock most often, this is the lowest volume that seems to cure my itch to keep turning it up. I could definitely listen closer to 2 o'clock, but try and keep it as low I can without feeling that I missing out. Hope that helps.

Quote:
From two customer reviews in Amazon:

"With my HD650, a normal listening volume for me is at 10 o'clock with my Windows 7 computer sound set at 100% and my Winamp set at 80% sound. If the album is fairly soft like the Head-Fi "Open Your Ears" album, I need to turn it up a little to 11 o'clock. "

"The headphone amp is sufficient to drive my 650's louder than I would want to. I usually have volume between 1/2 to 3/4 (depending on source material) when using headphones. That's a bit higher than I would have expected, but means I still have some headroom so I think it's sufficient."

With my HD580 I am always between 1-3 o'clock (optical or windows at 100%, no gain, etc). Am I getting deaf or my unit is defective?

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #949 of 1,670
I have my HDP vertical and my normal listening position with my HD800 is 9-10 o'clock.  It makes me wonder if everyone is sure they are running at 100% volume for both master volume and the player (asio) and mixer (if not using asio/wasapi, etc..)

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #950 of 1,670

Quote:
I have my HDP vertical and my normal listening position with my HD800 is 9-10 o'clock.  It makes me wonder if everyone is sure they are running at 100% volume for both master volume and the player (asio) and mixer (if not using asio/wasapi, etc..)

I am between 1-3 o'clock even using the optical input.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #951 of 1,670

Quote:
First review seems like he was using it horizontally, which in vertical it would be about 2 oclock. With D2000 I also have it around 1-2 oclock with a replaygain (3 oclock is too loud). Without the replaygain I'm guessing It'd be around 11-12 oclock.

No, he is using it vertically!

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #952 of 1,670

Quote:

Well HDP is known for having crappy volume pot. Guess we have to wait for Jason to comment on this.

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #953 of 1,670
Hey, don't keep calling the volume pot crappy.
confused_face_2.gif

Measurement test of 25 models (most expensive cost $20,000) of DACs and headphone amps showed that Icon HDP has the best overall plot.  We tried more expensive volume pot on Icon HDP, but it doesn't sound good.
I stated many times already, if it doesn't work for you, perhaps it is not compatible with your system, headphones (or ear
smily_headphones1.gif
).  Headphones is notoriously very personal listening experience and even the best product can't fit everyone.
We have a generous return policy so just send it back for refund
confused_face.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #954 of 1,670

Quote:

No complaints of any kind here:

1. Using Beyerdynamic DT 800 - 600 ohm
  2. HDP in vertical position
  3. Toslink optical output used on Windows 7 Sony computer
  4. Volume controls on player & computer up all the way
  5. Normal listening @ 3 o'clock to maximum (~ 4:30)

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #955 of 1,670

Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

Measurement test of 25 models (most expensive cost $20,000) of DACs and headphone amps showed that Icon HDP has the best overall plot.  We tried more expensive volume pot on Icon HDP, but it doesn't sound good.
I stated many times already, if it doesn't work for you, perhaps it is not compatible with your system, headphones (or ear
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />).  Headphones is notoriously very personal listening experience and even the best product can't fit everyone.
confused_face.gif

LOL sorry about that, I'm just restating what's been said. In terms of performance I have no problem with it so I'm definitely keeping it, but it's weird how all of us are disagreeing about the volume control. 9-10 oclock with HD800 makes absolutely no sense to me. I mean that's hardly even turning on since the minimum is at 8 oclock.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #956 of 1,670
Oh, common. I am not a noob and pretty able to find the problem origination. Volume pot of my HDP is bad. Period. And it is too expensive to send unit back and forth. I'd better sell it or replace the pot right here in Russia.

Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

" class="bbcode_smiley" files.head-fi.org="" height="" http:="" images="" smilies="" span="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />.  Headphones is notoriously very personal listening experience and even the best product can't fit everyone.

confused_face.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #957 of 1,670
Just to help balance out this complaint that has been repeated, I think its worth restating for readers considering HDP that my volume knob is completely silent when turning the unit on and turning up the volume. I have very balanced sound just past turning it on at 8 o'clock as well as throughout the entire range and, in my opinion, the knob has a very high quality feel to it and is very smooth. A lot of impressions I have read have stated the same experiences that I have had (not to take away from those that may have had different experiences). I'm attending a local meet in Arizona this weekend and will ask a few members to audition my HDP and post some impressions here...

I have auditioned several high-end dedicated DACs and headphone amps lately that cost several times more than HDP each and, in my opinion, the HDP is much closer to them in sound quality than it is to gear in its price range. As much as I would like to save for some of the high end gear I have been able to audition, the performance I am getting from my HDP and HD 650 combo for the price is just flat out awesome. I'm thinking a lot less about gear since I picked up HDP and am just enjoying the music and building my library.

Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" width="" />).  Headphones is notoriously very personal listening experience and even the best product can't fit everyone.
confused_face.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #958 of 1,670

Quote:
Just to help balance out this complaint that has been repeated, I think its worth restating for readers considering HDP that my volume knob is completely silent when turning the unit on and turning up the volume. I have very balanced sound just past turning it on at 8 o'clock as well as throughout the entire range and, in my opinion, the knob has a very high quality feel to it and is very smooth. A lot of impressions I have read have stated the same experiences that I have had (not to take away from those that may have had different experiences). I'm attending a local meet in Arizona this weekend and will ask a few members to audition my HDP and post some impressions here...

I have auditioned several high-end dedicated DACs and headphone amps lately that cost several times more than HDP each and, in my opinion, the HDP is much closer to them in sound quality than it is to gear in its price range. As much as I would like to save for some of the high end gear I have been able to audition, the performance I am getting from my HDP and HD 650 combo for the price is just flat out awesome. I'm thinking a lot less about gear since I picked up HDP and am just enjoying the music and building my library.

Yeah. I have read how well it's done, but I have to admit I'm getting a little bit worried after the reports on the uDac2 thread and here as well especially in recent times. According to jasonl, the uDac2 may be a better option for IEMs due to noise floor issues, but you have gotten none and people are hearing the hiss as well on the uDac2. If I can be very honest, I am worried and a little unsure about this now.

I agree with you that most people in times past, in this thread have praised the HDP and its quality and I too felt that the HDP was built very well IMHO; it looks sleek, it's powerful and pretty mobile as well which is a great bonus for me especially. At the end of it all, I was hoping that I was the only one experiencing issues in the sense that it was a one off, but at the same time, I don't feel so "alone" on this anymore. I wish I had your HDP!
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #959 of 1,670
Comments about hissing issues made me little curious so I did some testing on uDAC and HDP:

uDAC with full size - No hiss whatsoever
uDAC with iems - Hiss on maximum volume, but this should be irrelevant since no one listens that loud

HDP with full size - Hiss on maximum volume
HDP with iems - Hiss even when the amp is turned off, and gets louder when you turn it on (minimum volume is where the hiss is most noticeable), but the
                      hiss gradually gets quieter as I turn up the volume.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #960 of 1,670

Quote:
Comments about hissing issues made me little curious so I did some testing on uDAC and HDP:

uDAC with full size - No hiss whatsoever
uDAC with iems - Hiss on maximum volume, but this should be irrelevant since no one listens that loud

HDP with full size - Hiss on maximum volume
HDP with iems - Hiss even when the amp is turned off, and gets louder when you turn it on (minimum volume is where the hiss is most noticeable), but the
                      hiss gradually gets quieter as I turn up the volume.

For reference I'll give what I found.

For me, none of my amps hiss with the HD800.

With monster turbine pro copper:
-uDac - hiss at any volume
-uDac2 - hiss at any volume
-HDP - massive hiss at any volume or off
-XP7 - original op-amp - massive hiss, AD797 - a bit of hiss
-tomahawk - no hiss at listening volumes, but listening volume is generally just when the channels balance out
-pico slim - something detectable at listening volume for lower recorded albums like the HD tracks headphone testing album.  Not quite a hiss really, but I detect something.  (12 o'clock on the dial"  For louder albums where I have the dial at 9 o'clock, I can't hear any hiss.  If I try a more sensitive headphone I may be able to pick up more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back