REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Mar 26, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #571 of 1,670
I have been searching amps.dacs for my Ultrasone HFI-780's. I was thinking about a Little Dot Mk V as a amp and then a dac but wasn't sure on which to get.
While searching i came across this thread and it seems the unit is pretty decent.
So i'm curious if this unit being used for both Dac and Amp would do a good job rather than continue to search for a dac to pair with the Little Dot?

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #572 of 1,670
Has anyone had the chance to compare the HDP to the dacmagic for purely DAC performance?

Mar 27, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #573 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by pj_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone had the chance to compare the HDP to the dacmagic for purely DAC performance?

I've got both but they are in separate locations so I can't really accurately say which one is better as all my associated equipment is completely different as well.

But so far, what I can say about the HDP is this:

-As an amp, when using the HD800 I feel the HDP sounds much better than the XP-7 with AD797. Where the HDP sounds neutral and transparent, the XP-7 sounds too thick and muffles details. The HDP also sounds effortless while turning up the volume, it just sounds louder. The XP-7 seems to change sound as you try to raise the volume, maybe struggling with the HD800?

-As a source, I feel the Rega Saturn into the HDP through analog inputs sounds better than the HDP being fed by a computer to drive the headphones. I generally use the HDP through the computer when I'm listening to a lot of different things and working on the computer. But when I really want to focus on music, I'll burn a cdrw of a set of songs and play it on the saturn instead. The Saturn has more control of the bass, deep notes are much more obvious. It also seems more dynamic, even at lower volumes the beat is more obvious and the music sounds more pleasing. Drums hit harder with a more agressive snap, piano sounds more real as it seems more full bodied than on the HDP. I think I need to compare the HDP with something else or just based on what I said it seems the HDP sucks. But no, the HDP is a very good sounding unit, it just cannot beat the Saturn. I don't really have time to do a full comparison or review yet.

When I have time I'll do a more careful comparison of my gear. But the saturn is a cd player and the HDP a dac/preamp/headamp, so they aren't really even meant to be compared. But maybe this will give someone a reference for how the HDP sounds.

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #574 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got both but they are in separate locations so I can't really accurately say which one is better as all my associated equipment is completely different as well.

But so far, what I can say about the HDP is this:

-As an amp, when using the HD800 I feel the HDP sounds much better than the XP-7 with AD797. Where the HDP sounds neutral and transparent, the XP-7 sounds too thick and muffles details. The HDP also sounds effortless while turning up the volume, it just sounds louder. The XP-7 seems to change sound as you try to raise the volume, maybe struggling with the HD800?

-As a source, I feel the Rega Saturn into the HDP through analog inputs sounds better than the HDP being fed by a computer to drive the headphones. I generally use the HDP through the computer when I'm listening to a lot of different things and working on the computer. But when I really want to focus on music, I'll burn a cdrw of a set of songs and play it on the saturn instead. The Saturn has more control of the bass, deep notes are much more obvious. It also seems more dynamic, even at lower volumes the beat is more obvious and the music sounds more pleasing. Drums hit harder with a more agressive snap, piano sounds more real as it seems more full bodied than on the HDP. I think I need to compare the HDP with something else or just based on what I said it seems the HDP sucks. But no, the HDP is a very good sounding unit, it just cannot beat the Saturn. I don't really have time to do a full comparison or review yet.

When I have time I'll do a more careful comparison of my gear. But the saturn is a cd player and the HDP a dac/preamp/headamp, so they aren't really even meant to be compared. But maybe this will give someone a reference for how the HDP sounds.

Is your computer a Window or Mac computer, and if Windoze are you using any software to bypass the KMixer in the OS, like ASIO4ALL or something?

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #575 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So,I have been looking at this thread and reading all of HeadphoneAddict impressions(Incredible work by the way!),and I am searching for my first dac but I have a question.

Will the dac have a significant improvement to the headphone like an amp does?I am really considering one but I really don't know if any dac in general will have a great effect on the sound.If it will add some more little detail,slighlty airier presentation...I will pass.
So is any dac make a difference or is it just subtle?
Thanks for any help.

Can anyone please answer my question?thanks.

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #576 of 1,670
Quote:

Can anyone please answer my question?thanks.

Source is important, and it make a big difference depending how good your source is already. I have no idea how the HDP as a DAC might change the sound vs your "Sony" DVD or CD player's RCA out. I don't know if any of us can answer the question with the limited data we have about your gear. The HDP is an upgrade over my Marantz CD5001, which normally keeps up with other $300-400 DACs.

Sometimes "some more little detail and slightly airier presentation" is exactly what one needs to have the sound transform into a more transparent and realistic window into the music. So, if the HDP can offer that, why would you not want it?

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #577 of 1,670
It's just I am trying to sell my d5000 and I will have about $400 so I can get a dac or a headphone.And if the dac will have small difference,I better get a different sounding headphone.The HDP is out of my price range,how about a used pico dac?will it be good with my wa6?
Thanks.

Mar 27, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #578 of 1,670
The Pico DAC, while IMO bettered by the DAC in the HDP in areas of transparency and detail, sounds great with WA6... there's no doubt about that.

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #579 of 1,670
Quote:

It's just I am trying to sell my d5000 and I will have about $400 so I can get a dac or a headphone.And if the dac will have small difference,I better get a different sounding headphone.The HDP is out of my price range,how about a used pico dac?will it be good with my wa6?
Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pico DAC, while IMO bettered by the DAC in the HDP in areas of transparency and detail, sounds great with WA6... there's no doubt about that.

What he said...

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #580 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry, but I don't quite understand you (I'm not english... ) Did you mean that the HDP is a better performer than the Pico or was it the other way around
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #582 of 1,670
Yes, IMO, HDP is a better performer than Pico as a DAC overall... especially in terms of detail retrieval, overall clarity and balance. This does not mean Pico is a bad DAC at all of course; Pico is still pretty well balanced overall (though more towards the "fun" side of things IMO, being slightly more coloured than HDP), has the soundstage just as big as HDP and has little more extra bass weight and impact if you're more into the bass range.

If you are on a budget and just strictly looking for a DAC for your computer/laptop setup, then Pico DAC is a more sensible buy than the HDP. But if you have the extra money, would like a good amp to go with a DAC and need more options for input (coax/optical) for other sources besides your computer, then HDP is more suited for you.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #584 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is your computer a Window or Mac computer, and if Windoze are you using any software to bypass the KMixer in the OS, like ASIO4ALL or something?

Windows 7, foobar -> wasapi, 100% volume, no dsp active, essentially bitperfect output.

Are you skeptical of the Saturn sounding better than the HDP?

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #585 of 1,670
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows 7, foobar -> wasapi, 100% volume, no dsp active, essentially bitperfect output.

Are you skeptical of the Saturn sounding better than the HDP?

No, I'm just asking. I'm a Mac user, so I don't even know the difference between wasapi and ASIO4ALL. I just wanted to make sure you were getting the best performance you can with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back