[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Aug 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #498 of 781
Quote:
I don't know what others are using, but I've been using the single-flanged tips from JLabs. Bore is right around the size of the nozzle opening. Sound/fit great to me.

Right now I'm testing the stock small double flange tips.  I have a set of tips from the stock IEMs that came with my Galaxy SIII that fit perfectly and have an opening that is the same size as the nozzle that I'll sample next.  I also have the set that come stock with the RE-600 on the way from Head-Direct http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=164# and I think I may try out the Auvio tips from RadioShack since people say they are similar to Sony hybrids.  Another option are the Meelectronics M9 tips: http://www.meelec.com/category_s/378.htm I know these fit the other HiFiMans (I had a set for my former RE-ZERO).  Once I've tried a few different aftermarket tips I'll report back.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #499 of 781
Hello,
I just got the RE400 today and I need some help. I think I might have faulty pair. The sound from IEMs is nothing I thought it would be. Shortly: the bass is almost non existant. I didnt expect to be very warm, but it should be kind of neutral. I could hardly call that neutral.  Unfortunatelly this are my first pair of IEMs besides Samsung pair that I recieved with galaxy phone. I always thought that samsung IEMs are very harsh and hardly usable for listening to music. Compared to my pair of RE400 they sound much much better ... smoother warmer with tangible bass lines.
Since I dont have much experince with IEMs I am not exactly shure what to expect from them. Is it normal to have such drastiacly cut-off bass? ... I think the rolloff point  even extends to lower mids. Is it possible for both drivers to be faulty at the same time ... Because left and right sound the same.
I would appreciate any feedback ...

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #500 of 781
Annnddd...the build quality bug got me. My headphones have begun to fail me a month or so after I got them. This is quite annoying, both sides have started to fail depending on how the cable falls.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #501 of 781
Quote:
Hello,
I just got the RE400 today and I need some help. I think I might have faulty pair. The sound from IEMs is nothing I thought it would be. Shortly: the bass is almost non existant. I didnt expect to be very warm, but it should be kind of neutral. I could hardly call that neutral.  Unfortunatelly this are my first pair of IEMs besides Samsung pair that I recieved with galaxy phone. I always thought that samsung IEMs are very harsh and hardly usable for listening to music. Compared to my pair of RE400 they sound much much better ... smoother warmer with tangible bass lines.
Since I dont have much experince with IEMs I am not exactly shure what to expect from them. Is it normal to have such drastiacly cut-off bass? ... I think the rolloff point  even extends to lower mids. Is it possible for both drivers to be faulty at the same time ... Because left and right sound the same.

It's all about using the right tips that fit your ears so that you get a good seal.   

What you are describing is typical of an IEM that is not sealed correctly in your ear canal.   Use the following test when checking that seal:
http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #502 of 781
Quote:
Hello,

I also thought I had a faulty one until I got a second one and realised that, that is their sound signature and started trying out all the different tips from my other IEMs. None of the tips gave me the bass I thought was required. The bass sounded really thin and hollow to me so I resricted my RE400s to be used for only acoustic tunes which I don't listen all that much. I almost gave the RE400s away after I got a new set of IEMs and someone on this thread suggested DIY foam tips which I made and it did the trick. The bass which I've never heard from the RE400s in the 4 month period I had them was there. Give it a go, its virtually a free upgrade. Theres a thread which shows you how to do it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/383917/how-to-best-custom-tips-for-iems-ever-imho-with-pics

Here's mine

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #503 of 781
It's all about using the right tips that fit your ears so that you get a good seal.   

What you are describing is typical of an IEM that is not sealed correctly in your ear canal.   Use the following test when checking that seal:
http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

Hm, I will give that a try. I however did try to make a proper seal in ear. I use earplugs regulary, so it is not something I am unfamiliar with.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #504 of 781
Quote:
Hm, I will give that a try. I however did try to make a proper seal in ear. I use earplugs regulary, so it is not something I am unfamiliar with.

Even the most experienced users on Head-Fi still can't always get that perfect seal on feel, or even their own hearing (through music).  That's why the Sensaphonics Seal test is always important.  It's made at least a few people realized they should test a seal completely, especially in the Brainwavz B2 thread a long while back :wink:  Myself included, even though I've been using IEMs for the past 4 years (I think), I still use that seal test to confirm a proper seal. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #505 of 781
Quote:

Even the most experienced users on Head-Fi still can't always get that perfect seal on feel, or even their own hearing (through music).  That's why the Sensaphonics Seal test is always important.  It's made at least a few people realized they should test a seal completely, especially in the Brainwavz B2 thread a long while back :wink:  Myself included, even though I've been using IEMs for the past 4 years (I think), I still use that seal test to confirm a proper seal. 

O, jeeez. I almost send them back :wink: Thanks ... I would never thought that kind of change is possible. Well it sounds great now. It is not very comfortable, but maybe I can try with smaller tips.
Thanks again.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #506 of 781
Quote:
O, jeeez. I almost send them back :wink: Thanks ... I would never thought that kind of change is possible. Well it sounds great now. It is not very comfortable, but maybe I can try with smaller tips.
Thanks again.

I'm still testing various tips out, but I've found the best tips so far to be the black tips from this set: http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=164 I know it's pricey if you're just seeking that one pair, and the other tips are a bit large in comparison, but those are slightly smaller than the stock double flanges with a wider bore that's the size of the nozzle.  The shape seems to work great, and I've not seen a silicone tip like this before.  Not sure why these weren't included with the RE-400, but they've been working the best so far for me.  Apparently all these come with the RE-600 though,  I have yet to try any of the Meelectronics or Auvio tips for an extended period.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #507 of 781
Hm,
It seem that I have inadvertently pushed in one of the little black (foam?) protection pieces (at the end of RE400). Not much (about 1mm) ... and it doesn't affect the sound. Is this bad? Maybe I should stick to full size headphones :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #508 of 781
Quote:
I'm still testing various tips out, but I've found the best tips so far to be the black tips from this set: http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=164 I know it's pricey if you're just seeking that one pair, and the other tips are a bit large in comparison, but those are slightly smaller than the stock double flanges with a wider bore that's the size of the nozzle.  The shape seems to work great, and I've not seen a silicone tip like this before.  Not sure why these weren't included with the RE-400, but they've been working the best so far for me.  Apparently all these come with the RE-600 though,  I have yet to try any of the Meelectronics or Auvio tips for an extended period.

Those tips are included with the RE-600. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #509 of 781
Are there any benefits in removing the small circular things protecting the tips that torta above mentioned?

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #510 of 781
Quote:

Yup.  I have those tones sitting on my desktop and before I leave the house, I always run the test to check the seal.   It seems like about every 3rd time I put in my IEM's, I have to go back and re-insert and run the test again before I'm satisfied.    I know it sounds a bit OCD, but it really does make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back