[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Aug 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #451 of 781
Moldex Spark Plugs. Best comfort, best isolation and (in some cases) best sound. Just cut the foam to a length of your liking and pinch in a hole.
The advantage: these do not extend far beyond the nozzle (depends on at which length you cut them, obviously) and thus also allow really deep insertion. This is not recommended for all IEMs, but in case of the RE400 it works well. Especially since it brings out the treble a lot. (Especially when compared to Complys, so I have no idea what tinyman is talking about.)
YMMV
What did you use to pinch the hole?

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #452 of 781
Quote:

Moldex Spark Plugs. Best comfort, best isolation and (in some cases) best sound. Just cut the foam to a length of your liking and pinch in a hole.
The advantage: these do not extend far beyond the nozzle (depends on at which length you cut them, obviously) and thus also allow really deep insertion. This is not recommended for all IEMs, but in case of the RE400 it works well. Especially since it brings out the treble a lot. (Especially when compared to Complys, so I have no idea what tinyman is talking about.)
YMMV

The video has been posted at least 3 times between the two RE-400 review threads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Zc5meSooI

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #453 of 781
Quote:
The video has been posted at least 3 times between the two RE-400 review threads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Zc5meSooI

Never seen the video before but this is the normal way I insert Complys. I just noticed that's how I do it subconsciously. However, it also makes little sense. Because the the Comply will push the IEM outward upon release as the foam tries to push itself into its original state. Of course it doesn't show in the vid because Tyll is pushing it against the glass, but I have tried this before (TS400 + StageDiver) and it pushes the earpiece away from the reference plane.

And even if this were not the case, the plastic ring still extends further over the nozzle. While it's not reducing treble, it also cannot bring it out like DIY foams ("yellow squishy things" as they're called in the video) do. And IMO the RE400 needs this.

Just try it out, you can get the Spark Plugs for 0.10-0.20 €/pair.

@spurxiii:

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #454 of 781
Quote:
The RE-400s do lack depth and definition down low, that was already well established XD  In the low-bass it's actually quite strong though to give the bass a nice thickness as a whole.  RE-600 does have much better depth IMO, and similar mids, but you do lose some highs :frowning2: 

RE400 and RE600 have nearly identical bass depth according to measurements. I do agree about the definition though - RE400 is somewhat one note sounding compared to the best dynamics and definitely lacking in quality compared to good BAs like Etys or Phonak PFE and orthos. Compared to most dynamics, RE400 bass is still great though.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #455 of 781
Quote:

RE400 and RE600 have nearly identical bass depth according to measurements. I do agree about the definition though - RE400 is somewhat one note sounding compared to the best dynamics and definitely lacking in quality compared to good BAs like Etys or Phonak PFE and orthos. Compared to most dynamics, RE400 bass is still great though.

The RE-600 have an overall 1-2 dB bass boost from 20-100 Hz region throughout (from InnerFidelity).  So no, the RE-600 actually does have better depth.  The decay characteristics of both are actually different.  The quicker decay of the treble of the RE-600, as well as the softer treble qualities, will also create a perceived increase response to the bass.  I'm comparing back and forth right now between the RE-600 and RE-400, the bass depth on the 600 is simply more present.  The something like the Phonak PFE232, in contrast to the RE-400, you really can't tell the 232's bass does roll off, compared to the 600, which is more linear in the lower bass, you can definitely hear this. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #456 of 781

Thanks Ultrazino, I like how it sounds and feels. Better and cheaper than Complys. Might try it for my other phones also

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #457 of 781
Been listening to these RE400s with the DIY tips and I take back everything I said about them sounding thin. The hollow knock on wood type sound comes back now and again (I guess that's part of the sound signature) but the bass is like something I've never heard on these before. I guess the complys and all the tips I've tried did not seal well enough for me. I've now got all the bass these phones can deliver without losing any of the mids and highs. I tried this mod on my GR07 BEs also and they sound better than all the other tips I've tried. Not sure how long they will last though, but I get these plugs free anyway so the best isolation, comfortable and best sounding tips for me costs $0. What a surprise. Here's them on my GR07 BEs. I know, bright pink and yellow, but who cares when they sound this good.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #458 of 781
Quote:
Been listening to these RE400s with the DIY tips and I take back everything I said about them sounding thin. The hollow knock on wood type sound comes back now and again (I guess that's part of the sound signature) but the bass is like something I've never heard on these before. I guess the complys and all the tips I've tried did not seal well enough for me. I've now got all the bass these phones can deliver without losing any of the mids and highs. I tried this mod on my GR07 BEs also and they sound better than all the other tips I've tried. Not sure how long they will last though, but I get these plugs free anyway so the best isolation, comfortable and best sounding tips for me costs $0. What a surprise. Here's them on my GR07 BEs. I know, bright pink and yellow, but who cares when they sound this good.

Where did you get the tips from, or the material?

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #460 of 781
The shape of those DIY tips sort of reminds me of how the original JAYS foam tips looked. Some people here (putente, shotgunshane, eke2k6) said that the JAYS foam tips were the best tips for the GR07. However, they have been discontinued since a while ago, I believe because of patents that Comply hold.

350x700px-LL-c0ac99c8_jays_foams.jpeg

I'm only aware of one place that one can obtain these rarities now: a store in South Korea called ZOUND seems to have stockpiled them a while back. I never ordered any since shipping costs alone to the USA is around $18 (the tips themselves cost around $2 a pair in packs of 8/16) and I don't have a GR07 so I didn't want to spend that much money on tips unnecessarily. Perhaps these DIY tips are the economical alternative to those.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #461 of 781
The shape of those DIY tips sort of reminds me of how the original JAYS foam tips looked. Some people here (putente, shotgunshane, eke2k6) said that the JAYS foam tips were the best tips for the GR07. However, they have been discontinued since a while ago, I believe because of patents that Comply hold.

350x700px-LL-c0ac99c8_jays_foams.jpeg

I'm only aware of one place that one can obtain these rarities now: a store in South Korea called ZOUND seems to have stockpiled them a while back. I never ordered any since shipping costs alone to the USA is around $18 (the tips themselves cost around $2 a pair in packs of 8/16) and I don't have a GR07 so I didn't want to spend that much money on tips unnecessarily. Perhaps these DIY tips are the economical alternative to those.

Give it a go, it costs next to nothing

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #462 of 781
Quote:
Hmm " Reference" is a so vague. The RE400 is pretty flat on the DF reference, its just a downsloap (272s are also downsloap). Vsonics studio monitor is GR07, Sonys the 7550 and UE the UERM, the RE400 is just as flat as these, all which are downsloap. ER4S itself is not purely DF. Flat iems are flat on the downsloap, or using a Olive Welti curve if that's an aid

Lol waterline isn't anything

What is downsloap?

Couldn't find it in Webster's online dictionary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back