[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Jul 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #301 of 781
Quote:
If you say so. Having tried a he'll of a lot of different tips out on them, I have given up. Life shouldn't be this complicated. I have said this elsewhere, but thirty quid Sounagic E10s sound a huge lot better and I don't have to faff around for hours getting increasingly frustrated with them.

Maybe you're easily pleased or somefink.

Maybe he's not a monkey. It isn't rocket-science to get these things properly fitted. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #302 of 781
Oh I think I got them 'properly fitted' alright - it's just that no matter what tips I use, the music sounds dull and not what my ears want to continue listening to.

The magic is missing.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #303 of 781
Understandable. This is a subjective game. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #308 of 781
Quote:
Man, you want to hear dull? Try my Shure SE310, you'll fall asleep!

Lol. 

It astounds me that an iem can be produced that makes exciting music sound boring. I mean, whats the point?

As for the re-400, well I dunno, I just think ithey compromise soundstage, treble, bass and impact, They sound dry to me, lacking fluidity.  I can see how you might praise the fact that they are 'laidback' and allow for long listening sessions, but music should never become wallpaper or background noise, which is what I think these do.

Maybe it's because they're so small? Certainly I don't see why they have to be that tiny.

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #309 of 781
Quote:
The RE-400 are more mid forward. Maybe, that's what you don't like about them. I personally like my vocals, so the 400's really suit me well.  

Some people find that as you merge closer to neutral, the sound gets more boring.  I disagree with this, but they are free to disagree with me, everyone has their preferences. Remember, as you merge closer to neutral, what you feed it is what you get.  You begin to hear the errors in the recording itself.  If you match a neutral headphone with a good recording, it sounds like, well music.  If you match a colored headphone with a good recording, it can sound too boomy and dark.  However, if you match a compressed recording with a neutral headphone, you hear the compression (and the loss of detailing and musicality).  If you match that same recording with a colored headphone, it don't sound that bad anymore (it helps compensate for what was lost in the compression) :wink: 

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #311 of 781
Quote:

Some people find that as you merge closer to neutral, the sound gets more boring.  I disagree with this, but they are free to disagree with me, everyone has their preferences. Remember, as you merge closer to neutral, what you feed it is what you get.  You begin to hear the errors in the recording itself.  If you match a neutral headphone with a good recording, it sounds like, well music.  If you match a colored headphone with a good recording, it can sound too boomy and dark.  However, if you match a compressed recording with a neutral headphone, you hear the compression (and the loss of detailing and musicality).  If you match that same recording with a colored headphone, it don't sound that bad anymore (it helps compensate for what was lost in the compression) :wink: 

Nah.

If that were the case, how is it that when I play flac files of really well recorded music through my Re-400s, it sounds more boring and less enticing than the same files played through my Soundmagic E10s?  I am guessing you would say the Re-400s are more 'neutral' than the 'coloured' (your words) E10s?   By your logic, music should sound 'too boomy and dark' through the E10s, but it actually sounds wonderfully real and beautiful and makes me want to lie back and let it absorb me.

Compression and recording quality has nothing to do with it. Says me.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #312 of 781
Everyone has different taste in phones, just like our taste in women. Some like their phones on the more neutral side, while others like a more musical phone. There is no right or wrong phone here, it totally depends on the individual. Different flavors for different folks.   

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #313 of 781
Quote:
Everyone has different taste in phones, just like our taste in women. Some like their phones on the more neutral side, while others like a more musical phone. There is no right or wrong phone here, it totally depends on the individual. Different flavors for different folks.   

I like my women to be musical, exciting and laidback,

You?

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #314 of 781
Quote:

Nah.

If that were the case, how is it that when I play flac files of really well recorded music through my Re-400s, it sounds more boring and less enticing than the same files played through my Soundmagic E10s?  I am guessing you would say the Re-400s are more 'neutral' than the 'coloured' (your words) E10s?   By your logic, music should sound 'too boomy and dark' through the E10s, but it actually sounds wonderfully real and beautiful and makes me want to lie back and let it absorb me.

Compression and recording quality have a lot to do with it, there is a clear and audible difference between a highly compressed song and a song that isn't compressed as much.  What songs are you listening to through your E10s.  FLAC files are high quality iff they were recorded that way XD

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #315 of 781
Quote:
Nah.

What are you looking for in an upgrade to your E10? It sounds like you already know what you like, but went in the opposite direction. No need to try and force yourself to like anything, just look for something more similar to the E10.

ClieOS puts the E10 in the "balanced" category (note: his interpretation of "balanced" is a treble and bass enhanced sound), so maybe you can look at this post to find what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back