[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Jul 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #287 of 781
so.......... i replaced the filter and now it's working again. i'm not sure if it's because i unplugged them a while or did that, but either way, they're working... for now. scared the hell out of me.

That's good to hear.

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #288 of 781
If anyone has a problem with their RE-400s, contact customerservice@hifiman.com Does not have to be purchased from Head-Direct to get warranty service but you are welcome to go through your dealer, if you prefer. 

Early RE-400s had a known problem with the connector and that has been addressed.

Peter

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #289 of 781
Quote:
If anyone has a problem with their RE-400s, contact customerservice@hifiman.com Does not have to be purchased from Head-Direct to get warranty service but you are welcome to go through your dealer, if you prefer. 

Early RE-400s had a known problem with the connector and that has been addressed.

Peter

Thanks for your response. You have excellent customer service at Hifiman.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #291 of 781
As a new HiFiMan customer I have been nothing but impressed with the company and it's products! Let's see, I just got a pair of HE-400 AND a pair of RE-400 for the price of a pair of Sennheiser HD650 and I couldn't be happier, both products are such a value and performer at such a high level to the more expensive competition it's remarkable. Between newer companies like HiFiMan and Schiit Audio an audiophile on a budget can get AMAZING hifi for a fraction of what it used to cost.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #293 of 781
I never found the RE0 that special. The mids were nice, but I couldn't forgive the lack of sub bass either. Music had no impact, rhythm was gone. RE400 fixes this and is a wonderful choice. I wish it had more highs though, it is a bit too polite.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #295 of 781
Quote:
I never found the RE0 that special. The mids were nice, but I couldn't forgive the lack of sub bass either. Music had no impact, rhythm was gone. RE400 fixes this and is a wonderful choice. I wish it had more highs though, it is a bit too polite.

+1. IMO, it's a big step up from the REO. The REO's mids were recessed to me. RE400's mids are forward and really special.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #296 of 781
Agreed, RE-400 is a clear upgrade in the mids too. If RE-600 is a RE-400 with a wider soundstage, more presence and less highs roll off I'd be happy. I wish it was priced at 250-300 though.

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #297 of 781
Sound stage too small, not enough treble, lack of musicality.
Amazing! I think lack of treble and soundstaging are a function of the tips and you depth of placement. I don't find them lacking in either of these areas. They have the best high frequency balance of anything I have used. The tpeos h 100 was noticeably brighter and the TDK BA 200 a bit softer. I actually put an extra layer of thin stretchy double knit between the exiting foam and fabric. This slightly smoothes and softens just a hint. Definetly better and a bit more air and soundstage size This boot. You do have to tinker to get all the magic out of them!

HAPPY LISTENING!

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #298 of 781
Amazing! I think lack of treble and soundstaging are a function of the tips and you depth of placement. I don't find them lacking in either of these areas. They have the best high frequency balance of anything I have used. The tpeos h 100 was noticeably brighter and the TDK BA 200 a bit softer. I actually put an extra layer of thin stretchy double knit between the exiting foam and fabric. This slightly smoothes and softens just a hint. Definetly better and a bit more air and soundstage size This boot. You do have to tinker to get all the magic out of them!

HAPPY LISTENING!

If you say so. Having tried a he'll of a lot of different tips out on them, I have given up. Life shouldn't be this complicated. I have said this elsewhere, but thirty quid Sounagic E10s sound a huge lot better and I don't have to faff around for hours getting increasingly frustrated with them.

Maybe you're easily pleased or somefink.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #299 of 781
Well good luck regardless!

Everyone hears differently and over many years of listening to high-end audio I found even some of my best audio buddies had substantially different opinions.

So enjoy the Soundmagics, until you find something else.

Either way happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back