[REVIEW] HifiMan RE262 – A Beautiful Voice
Mar 15, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #31 of 86
Excellent review, ClieOS.. how do these compare to the Silver Bullet?  Obviously the SB is bassier, but they seem to share a lot of other characteristics..

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #32 of 86
Yes, they both have a kind of a warmish sound, but SB has more of a mild U shaped sound while RE262 is more bass and mid oriented. When powered adequately, RE262 can sound just as bassy as SB. The difference is RE262 has a stronger and more texture vocal and the bass holds on well with power, but SB's bass tends to sound smear / boom up when there is too much power. Compared them directly and you will find RE262 to be darker sounding because the the treble is more roll-off, though SB isn't the brightest either. For a general purpose IEM, I'll say SB is more fun and immersive / enveloping. In comparison, RE262 is more vocal centric, musical, relaxing and well textured - and it is the texture that's the reason why I prefer RE262 over SB.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #34 of 86
I just got it and I can confirm that the only thing that changed is the trrs plug. No metal housing for 262... maybe reserved for the 272. It comes with a luxurious(?) box that resembles a mini HM-602 box, but still without a carrying case.

It comes with 3 soft adapters with 3 different colors, all with different functions.

The white one has a TRRS input but reverses the channels for over the ear wearing.
The grey one has a TRS input and reverses the channels.
The black one has a TRS input but does not reverse the channels.

There is no hard adapter like the one that came with the RE-Zero.

First impressions? Hmm... it was not able beat EQ'ed DDM+Cowon X7. Maybe that will change as time passes and it burns in. Nevertheless I'm happy with the purchase.

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #36 of 86
How do these compare with Xcape V2's? 
In one of your posts, you mentioned that it was "too thick for your tastes"
and I 100% agree. The V2's are seriously bothering me, so I was wondering if these have the same characteristics? 

I'm faulting the V2's on their mid bass hump and general dry sound. So if thick mids/congestion are not my problem I can jump on the 262's safely. 

Thank you very much!

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #37 of 86
Quote:
How do these compare with Xcape V2's? 
In one of your posts, you mentioned that it was "too thick for your tastes"
and I 100% agree. The V2's are seriously bothering me, so I was wondering if these have the same characteristics? 

I'm faulting the V2's on their mid bass hump and general dry sound. So if thick mids/congestion are not my problem I can jump on the 262's safely. 

Thank you very much!

IMO, Xcape v2 is not quite as good as the v1. Since I don't think even the v1 is quite as good as RE262, the simple conclusion is that the v2 is no comparable to RE262 in anyway. RE262 is just more musical and smooth sounding, without any of the thickness.

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #40 of 86

Quote:
If I jump on the 262's will the PA2v2 AMP with LOD out of an iPhone 4 work? 

Amping is always good for RE262, but I haven't heard the PA2V2 so I can't give you any confirmation regarding synergy.

Quote:
I just realized that you were from Malaysia... Me too! 

cool.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #41 of 86
hi clieos, 

will these have enough power through a S:flo2? would you recommend the combination or would another amp with ipod LOD be a better idea?

cheers

p.s. this review made me buy a pair... hope i like it when it gets here! :p

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #42 of 86

Quote:
will these have enough power through a S:flo2? would you recommend the combination or would another amp with ipod LOD be a better idea?

S:flo2 has more than enough power for RE262, and the synergy is quite good. You don't need another amp for it.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #45 of 86
just got the re-272 and sorry to say so but 272 >> 262 especially after fixing the treble roll-off

i am still in the burn-in period as i got them yesterday , but i am really glad my 262 broke as i had to go out and buy myself a pair of 272

just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back