REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Jan 28, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #601 of 1,534
Great, I was charged by UPS for C.O.D, again! This time I was not at home while the replacement charger (sent for ''free'') arrived so I suppose someone in my family covered up for the costs.
 I find this actually quite ridiculous, if it's Head-Direct it's fault or not (UPS its fault/business practices). This time the item was valued at $2 (instead of $30) but seeing the total costs still were above $30 I have to pay up?! I sent an e-mail out to Head-Direct and will wait for their response. 

The good news is that the new charger seems to work just fine!

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #602 of 1,534
You can't really blame them for customs fees. They don't have anything to do with those charges. 

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #603 of 1,534
It would have been cheaper to get an old Nokia phone charger, 5V and the right plug.

I have only found 2 sort of commonly used plugs for 5V, after a quick look, and they are the Nokia type and the Sony PSP type. the Nokia type work fine and I use a USB version to charge my 601.

EDIT: I better mention that the Nokia plug is the old 3mm one and not the new smaller one.

Quote:
Great, I was charged by UPS for C.O.D, again! This time I was not at home while the replacement charger (sent for ''free'') arrived so I suppose someone in my family covered up for the costs.
 I find this actually quite ridiculous, if it's Head-Direct it's fault or not (UPS its fault/business practices). This time the item was valued at $2 (instead of $30) but seeing the total costs still were above $30 I have to pay up?! I sent an e-mail out to Head-Direct and will wait for their response. 

The good news is that the new charger seems to work just fine!

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #604 of 1,534
Yes they are, If you write 20$ on the customs declaration it goes in for free, if however the value is set to 30$ you get hit by a customs fee. Around 30$ here in Norway if the value is set to 30$ and mercendice. I keep it as a rule to newer buy again from companies that states value higher than 20$
I guess whoever ships out the goods may be a newbee in writing the customsdeclation.

Quote:
You can't really blame them for customs fees. They don't have anything to do with those charges. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #605 of 1,534
I've just tried charging my player for the first time, plugged the wall charger in and switched the player on, it shows the charging animation but after about 5 minutes the screen goes off, is this normal? If I try pressing the navigation buttons nothing happens, only if I power on again.

Nevermind, I think its just the auto-poweroff feature, i've turned that off now
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #607 of 1,534
Quote:
Yes they are, If you write 20$ on the customs declaration it goes in for free, if however the value is set to 30$ you get hit by a customs fee. Around 30$ here in Norway if the value is set to 30$ and mercendice. I keep it as a rule to newer buy again from companies that states value higher than 20$
I guess whoever ships out the goods may be a newbee in writing the customsdeclation.

Norway sets and collects the customs fee, so Norway is responsible. Also, the value thresholds vary between countries and sometimes even between goods, so the poor shipping guy would have to be an international customs expert to keep track of maybe thousands of regulations, just in order to help the customer commit tax evasion. Mind you, I don't criticize people for doing that, but it is what it is and most jurisdictions won't like it. I'm in Germany, and when sellers send me packages with a low declared value, usually the customs office will keep the package and ask me (via snail mail, two days delay) to show up with paperwork documenting the value - so I end up paying the full amount anyway and I lose a lot of time in the process. I hate it when sellers underdeclare.

Besides, a seller declaring a lower value puts you or himself at risk - if the package gets lost, the delivery company will only replace the declared value. Depending on who is assuming the risk after shipping (see the TOS), either you or the seller may lose a lot.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #608 of 1,534
When the seller sets value to 30$ on a 200$+ object he or she is allready underdeclearing the goods, in this case its just a question of getting it right. and i think the 20$ and merchandice is pretty safe and a world wide standard to avoid customs fees, pleace correct me if i`m wrong on this point. I have been asked about paperwork 1 time out of around 250+ international transactions so its a pretty slim chance to take imo. The buyer can also top up his or hers paypal account in their own contry and pay via paypal balance, that way an international transaction via visa or other is not tracable. A trade between privates have 0% chance of C.O.D. if you top up your paypal and pay via paypal balance and the seller mark the goods as 20$ and gift, then there is no paperwork to show if its a "gift". The postal system is pretty safe, i dident experience a single miss from their side even sellers have tried to get my name somewhat wrong so they could collect the goods in return when it dident find its destination  this is my experiences.   

Quote:
Quote:

Norway sets and collects the customs fee, so Norway is responsible. Also, the value thresholds vary between countries and sometimes even between goods, so the poor shipping guy would have to be an international customs expert to keep track of maybe thousands of regulations, just in order to help the customer commit tax evasion. Mind you, I don't criticize people for doing that, but it is what it is and most jurisdictions won't like it. I'm in Germany, and when sellers send me packages with a low declared value, usually the customs office will keep the package and ask me (via snail mail, two days delay) to show up with paperwork documenting the value - so I end up paying the full amount anyway and I lose a lot of time in the process. I hate it when sellers underdeclare.

Besides, a seller declaring a lower value puts you or himself at risk - if the package gets lost, the delivery company will only replace the declared value. Depending on who is assuming the risk after shipping (see the TOS), either you or the seller may lose a lot.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #609 of 1,534
I've been having an odd problem with the 601 and my SM3's. Some of the songs are slightly off centre, with the vocals leaning towards the right side, which is annoying the hell out of me. I've tried the same songs on the 601 with other phones and have no problem and the SM3's work fine with other sources as well, so I'm at a loss. Anyone else had 601 & SM3 problems?

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #610 of 1,534
I am loving the 601 with my Little Dot Mk1+ into my MS-1 and for more portable use the Arrow 1G into my RE-0. To me the sound is so much better with an amp than the headphone out.

I have a question though. I have seen AD900's at a good price so I was wondering has anyone used these with the 601(or I suppose the 602) with the AD900? If you have how do they work together?

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #611 of 1,534
I received the 601 in the mail today, having received the GR8s Friday. Wow. Seriously awesome sound. Blows my Sony out of the water. I'm so glad I read this review last week, and decided to order this player. I originally was going to also order the RE-262 IEMs, but they're nowhere to be found. They go so fast on the Trade Forum, you pretty much have to see the For Sale post right away to get a pair. So I decided to go with the Grado GR8, and I'm not disappointed. Great pairing.

I don't have much music on it yet. Just put on Chopin: Trio Polonaise briliante for Cello & Piano, Poloniase briliante for Piano. Emanuel Ax, Pamela Frank, Yo-Yo Ma, Eva Osinska. Used Media Monkey, FLAC files. I mostly listen to classical music. Not big orchestral stuff. Currently a lot of piano, some classical guitar, quite a bit of cello. Other than classical I listen to Queen, James Taylor, Diana Krall, Eagles, Sheryl Crow, Little Big Town, Clapton, B.B. King...

Tomorrow I'll play with it some more. Tonight I'm happy.

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #612 of 1,534
although it is tempting to get a player with audiophile grade components, but this player got too many drawbacks for me to get it,and i honestly don't get all those who decide to purchase it upon other players which give much more value for the money..like the cowon j3 for example.
first of all when i say "drawbacks" i mean that those players (801,601,602) are very (very!) expensive for what they give,  they have very limited space memory and the battery life simply makes me laugh (sorry..but it is true).    should i start talking about the size..?   they have software bugs, and they are even not accurate/neutral sounding
smile.gif
        I am not bashing this player or something..just got a strong feelinig to talk about this.
this players are the most NOT-IDEAL players for portable use.  
is the sound that good??  

my j3 sound FANTASTIC..! (not to mention the EQ possibilities)  it has 32GB internal space memory,and i can put another 32GB with sd card if i want. I can put all my library in high quality mp3's in this baby.     the battery life is truly impressive,it can decode all the popular audio and video formats,it got amazing screen and video capabilities (which i don't even use ),and all the features one could ever want in a portable player.   it is also much more portable in size and have bunch of cases for it if one wants to protect it.    and you know i can keep going..  and it is cheaper than HM players..at least from the 602 and 801.

I never heard the HF players..but i am in doubt that it sounds much better than cowon..maybe a little better,but is it worth all the drawbacks?
maybe in the future an audiophile grade player with more modern features will existed and it will be worth for me to get, but for now i will stick with the cowon j3 for all the things i need in a portable player.

thanks for letting me share my thoughts with you guys ..those are just my thought and this is just for the great pleasure of conversation,not anything beside that!

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #613 of 1,534

Quote:
although it is tempting to get a player with audiophile grade components, but this player got too many drawbacks for me to get it,and i honestly don't get all those who decide to purchase it upon other players which give much more value for the money..like the cowon j3 for example.
first of all when i say "drawbacks" i mean that those players (801,601,602) are very (very!) expensive for what they give,  they have very limited space memory and the battery life simply makes me laugh (sorry..but it is true).    should i start talking about the size..?   they have software bugs, and they are even not accurate/neutral sounding
smile.gif
        I am not bashing this player or something..just got a strong feelinig to talk about this.
this players are the most NOT-IDEAL players for portable use.  
is the sound that good??  

Have to agree 100%..........I owned a HM601 that I ended up returning.
It was a fantastic sounding DAP, but the SQ did not overcome the myriad of drawbacks.

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #614 of 1,534
don't know about you guys..but the sound i am getting from my j3 and bunch of headphones i use it with (see sig) sound pretty audiophilic to me. it is that good that i can even compare it to my main headroom rig..and that says a lot!

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #615 of 1,534

Quote:
don't know about you guys..but the sound i am getting from my j3 and bunch of headphones i use it with (see sig) sound pretty audiophilic to me. it is that good that i can even compare it to my main headroom rig..and that says a lot!

Plonter, I just got a Cowon iAudio9 last night, and I have to agree with you, the Cowon sound is pretty good! The EQ and JetEffects are very effective if used carefully....it is possible to go overboard with them and get an unnatural sound, but if you're careful they work very well.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back