Review: Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof
Mar 27, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #152 of 259
I agree with earlier comments of the HE6 being particularly well-suited to movies and soundtracks. For me, it has a lot to do with their large, open presentation and visceral bass.

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #153 of 259
I concur, I've yet to hear better headphones for movies, I can use them instead of my main HT system and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing (except the physical impact from my big subs).

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #154 of 259
Are the photos of the drivers inside those HE6? I'm intrigued.. Want to see the technology used.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #155 of 259
he-6_driver.jpg

About as close as I could find: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/HE-6/images/he-6_driver.jpg

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #156 of 259

Quote:
he-6_driver.jpg

About as close as I could find: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/HE-6/images/he-6_driver.jpg

Certainly looks much sexier than what my HE-400's look under the pad lol.

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #157 of 259

Quote:
Certainly looks much sexier than what my HE-400's look under the pad lol.

That's because that's real gold. A little bling never hurts.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #158 of 259

Quote:
That's because that's real gold. A little bling never hurts.

Nah not just that... There's plastic reinforcements for the magnets in the 400's instead of metal ones here. The aluminum traces on mine look like they are glued on, unlike the properly plated gold traces on these. Just in general the HE400's look crappy under the hood in comparison even if we disregard the gold application here.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #159 of 259

Quote:
Nah not just that... There's plastic reinforcements for the magnets in the 400's instead of metal ones here. The aluminum traces on mine look like they are glued on, unlike the properly plated gold traces on these. Just in general the HE400's look crappy under the hood in comparison even if we disregard the gold application here.

Recently received the HE-500's (replacing my problematic HE-400's) and see and feel a distinct difference in overall build quality.  Much more solid inside and even the plastic bits seem more rigid. Not to mention they sound very, very good. While there is no excuse for the lack of QC and the cluster **** attempt at getting owners to self-repair defective product, the HE-400's are clearly built to a budget price point with a different ODM.  As I have stated in the past, while not wart free, they sounded pretty damn good -- especially when the price was factored in.   

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #160 of 259

Quote:
Recently received the HE-500's (replacing my problematic HE-400's) and see and feel a distinct difference in overall build quality.  Much more solid inside and even the plastic bits seem more rigid. Not to mention they sound very, very good. While there is no excuse for the lack of QC and the cluster **** attempt at getting owners to self-repair defective product, the HE-400's are clearly built to a budget price point with a different ODM.  As I have stated in the past, while not wart free, they sounded pretty damn good -- especially when the price was factored in.   

Oh definitely, I really quite enjoy them, especially after now about 80 hours of burn-in, everything's stabilized and treble is blissfully smooth compared to how it was out of the box, and mids are quite natural now with majority of the cupped sound gone.

I don't really see much room for complaint for my pair... honestly the build feels way more solid than any major brand headphone I've handled. But I guess for a planar magnetic headphone not to implode they need such a rigid design.

Ugh I wish I did not look under the pads though, it seriously looked ugly down there lol. Could you take a picture of what your HE-500 driver looks like under the pad sometime? Just curious.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #161 of 259
I just received my EF-6 amplifier. It's a shame my HE-6 are still overseas...

Initial impressions: This thing runs HOT! Like, Schiit hot and beyond.

This thing has enough power output to make my woodied MS2i drivers play at volumes that seem more appropriate for speakers. I predict that'll be just about enough power for the HE-6. :wink:

I'll post some actual impressions once the HE-6 arrive. :p

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #162 of 259

Quote:
Oh definitely, I really quite enjoy them, especially after now about 80 hours of burn-in, everything's stabilized and treble is blissfully smooth compared to how it was out of the box, and mids are quite natural now with majority of the cupped sound gone.

I don't really see much room for complaint for my pair... honestly the build feels way more solid than any major brand headphone I've handled. But I guess for a planar magnetic headphone not to implode they need such a rigid design.

Ugh I wish I did not look under the pads though, it seriously looked ugly down there lol. Could you take a picture of what your HE-500 driver looks like under the pad sometime? Just curious.

Ok maybe this isn't the best pic but you get the idea.  The pads are still on.  I'm just using beyer pads instead.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #163 of 259

Quote:

Ok maybe this isn't the best pic but you get the idea.  The pads are still on.  I'm just using beyer pads instead.

Thanks for the photo! I wonder what those yellow corner pieces between the diaphragm and the magnet layer are.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #164 of 259
I ordered EF-6 and HE-6 on Feb. 16.  I received the both of them today March 5.  Does the EF-6 come with a power cord. Because mine did not.  I thought I had asked Head-Direct and they said it did come with power cord.  Is there an inexpensive alternative-any suggestions for power cord.  Kinda of sucks that I'm looking at amp but unable to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back