Review: Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof
Feb 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #121 of 259
I don't suppose anyone has used the EF6 as a preamp yet?  If you did, what are your impressions?  Right now I have a Cary Audio V12 running a pair of Zu Omens.  I am using the Decco2's preamp right now and do wonder how this would compare.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #122 of 259
Thanks for a very detailed and interesting review. Clearly EF-6 is a different grade of amp and power to drive the HE-6; are you in any position to say (even hypothesise!) how the EF-5 might compare with the HE-6 (running the HM-801 player)? Hifiman bundles EF-5 with HE-6 currently so one assumes that this configuration is "optimised" to some degree? I listen to jazz (instrumental and vocal) and some classical.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #124 of 259

Quote:
Thanks for a very detailed and interesting review. Clearly EF-6 is a different grade of amp and power to drive the HE-6; are you in any position to say (even hypothesise!) how the EF-5 might compare with the HE-6 (running the HM-801 player)? Hifiman bundles EF-5 with HE-6 currently so one assumes that this configuration is "optimised" to some degree? I listen to jazz (instrumental and vocal) and some classical.

If you don't listen at high volumes the EF5 is not bad with HE-6.  It's a little less airy and spacious sounding, with a little less micro-detail, while giving up about 4-6 dB in dynamic headroom.  But with the HE-6 headphones I'd take the EF-5 over an HDP, WA6 or DACmini (listed in order of ascending price).

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #125 of 259
Quote:
I also agree the HE6 with the Realiser and a great PRIR is quite amazing for MCH, and it is how you describe it. .

My preference is also the velor pads (original).

Now that you have the SR-009 + the SRM-727II are you primarily using that setup with the Realiser?  Or both that setup and the HE-6 plus the Liquid Fire?  
Sounds like some interesting choices to explore.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #126 of 259

Quote:
Quote:

Now that you have the SR-009 + the SRM-727II are you primarily using that setup with the Realiser?  Or both that setup and the HE-6 plus the Liquid Fire?  
Sounds like some interesting choices to explore.

Because of the top shelf size and the smaller foot prints of the two amps, I can put both the Liquid Fire and the SRM-727 on the same self. I use the RCA terminals for the Liquid Fire and the XLR terminals for the SRM-727 of my W4S DAC. So switching from one amp to the other only requires changing the headphones and switching the PRIR's. The W4S Dac is connected to my Realiser via toslink, very clean and I can use between 1/2M or 1M cables.
I also have both PRIR/HPEQ's presets in my Realiser for the HE6's and the SR-009's, so its just a matter using the Realiser's remote to change between the presets.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #127 of 259
Quote:
If you don't listen at high volumes the EF5 is not bad with HE-6.  It's a little less airy and spacious sounding, with a little less micro-detail, while giving up about 4-6 dB in dynamic headroom.  But with the HE-6 headphones I'd take the EF-5 over an HDP, WA6 or DACmini (listed in order of ascending price).

With all of those amps one would be much better off with the less-demanding HE-500 than the HE-6.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #128 of 259
Quote:

With all of those amps one would be much better off with the less-demanding HE-500 than the HE-6.

Of course. I was focused on the question and not the best answer.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #129 of 259
No worries, just chipping in. Agreed that the EF5 offers a bit more power than the other amps mentioned.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #130 of 259

Quote:
Because of the top shelf size and the smaller foot prints of the two amps, I can put both the Liquid Fire and the SRM-727 on the same self. I use the RCA terminals for the Liquid Fire and the XLR terminals for the SRM-727 of my W4S DAC. So switching from one amp to the other only requires changing the headphones and switching the PRIR's. The W4S Dac is connected to my Realiser via toslink, very clean and I can use between 1/2M or 1M cables.
I also have both PRIR/HPEQ's presets in my Realiser for the HE6's and the SR-009's, so its just a matter using the Realiser's remote to change between the presets.

Do you find yourself using the two setups for different types of material (for example the HE-6 for movies and the SR-009 for music)?  Or is one used more than the other? 
I'm guessing that both are staying since the room is there.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #132 of 259

Quote:
Do you find yourself using the two setups for different types of material (for example the HE-6 for movies and the SR-009 for music)?  Or is one used more than the other? 
I'm guessing that both are staying since the room is there.

Any well mastered movie or music, I use the SR-009/SRM-727 combo with. I have only used the LF/HE6 combo for comparison. As you know using a Realiser and great MCH PRIR's, the Stax combo is simply amazing with well mastered Blu Ray 5.1/7.1 movies.

Yes both are staying, but I will probably have to sell my mighty WA5LE to recoup some of the money that I spent for the Stax combo. If I had the room I would keep my WA5LE and sell my Liquid Fire amp.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #133 of 259
Hi Larry/Headphone Addict,

Thanks for the feedback...just as I was listening to HE-6+EF-5 for the first time.

Your comments seem dead-on. I listen to a very wide range of instrumental jazz+female vocals and not loudly...but I am having to turn the EF-5 vol full up (daytime) to get a comfortable to mildly uncomfy volume level (mind you I have not burnt in the HE-6 at all, Hour 1 only!; not changed any gain switch on the EF-5). In contrast, plugging in my HE-300, I achieve the same at maybe 30% of EF-5's volume ! The sound stage is also - as you rightly say - noticeably narrower with the HE-6 than the same amp + HE-300 but clarity is much better. So it seems EF-5 is just about able to run the HE-6 comfortably....

And, regretfully, the badly recorded wonderful Bill Evan's "Live at Ronnie Scott's" [Emily] do sound quite bad alas with the great HE-6, no surprises there. Unforgiving...

Anyone tried headphone.com's BUDA balanced amp with HE-6 ? I'd be very interested to know how that works compared to a single amp like EF-5. Huge price jump of course.
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-balanced-ultra-desktop-amp-buda.php

Regards,

Nishy.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #134 of 259

Quote:
Hi Larry/Headphone Addict,

Thanks for the feedback...just as I was listening to HE-6+EF-5 for the first time.

Your comments seem dead-on. I listen to a very wide range of instrumental jazz+female vocals and not loudly...but I am having to turn the EF-5 vol full up (daytime) to get a comfortable to mildly uncomfy volume level (mind you I have not burnt in the HE-6 at all, Hour 1 only!; not changed any gain switch on the EF-5). In contrast, plugging in my HE-300, I achieve the same at maybe 30% of EF-5's volume ! The sound stage is also - as you rightly say - noticeably narrower with the HE-6 than the same amp + HE-300 but clarity is much better. So it seems EF-5 is just about able to run the HE-6 comfortably....

And, regretfully, the badly recorded wonderful Bill Evan's "Live at Ronnie Scott's" [Emily] do sound quite bad alas with the great HE-6, no surprises there. Unforgiving...

Anyone tried headphone.com's BUDA balanced amp with HE-6 ? I'd be very interested to know how that works compared to a single amp like EF-5. Huge price jump of course.
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-balanced-ultra-desktop-amp-buda.php

Regards,

Nishy.

Why not try the the EF-6????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back