[REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600
Mar 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 260
Quote:

Cheers. I'll have to give the Somics a try soon.

I just got a pair of HE-400/500 velour pads in the mail, and slipped them on my Somic's........my god the soundstage increase, now I see why you say the soundstage is so big on the HE-500, big pads.  They fit a little loose on the Somic's but they work for me!

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 260
I feel like I'm the only one who seems to like the look of the HD600 a lot. It actually looks better than the HD650 to me but I know many people think that granite color looks horrifying. I must be crazy. I really love the sound of the HD600. Miss it so much and I'm slowly waiting for a good deal to come up to reclaim it back into my collection. 

Great read as well. Thanks for the comparison. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #18 of 260
Nice comparison eke!

Having owned the HD600s I definitely agree with your views on it. I still think that it has been one of the best headphones I have bought these past few years! I only got rid of it because I don't use it as much (I only use closed-back headphones at work due to sound leakage).

Now you need to try the Mad Dogs or LFF's Paradox... and compare them with the HD600s :p

HD600s SHOULD be FOTM... (flavor of the millenium!) I doubt that for the price there are much better headphones out there!

Would like to test the HE500s one of these days... maybe :wink:

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 260
Thanks for the writeup. 

I have not yet heard the HD600, but I have auditioned the HD650 and to my ears, they are tonally extremely similar to HE500. However there is a jarring difference between the two, that is the way the music is delivered, where the planar magnetic sound is just so different from the electrodynamic sound. There is a sense of cohesiveness of organic focus with the dynamic presentation, which contrasts a lot against the layered and "surround-sound" effect with the planar presentation.

And that is really where the preference dictates. You can have affinity to either presentation, and that can be enough to override most other technical pros/cons.

Sorry, just seeing your comment. I find the main difference is that the HE-500 just sounds so diffuse. It pans out strangely in a L/R manner..it almost sound like an oblong tube in comparison. 

Quote:
On which amp ? (apologies if you already mentioned it and I didn't notice)

I don't think it has a name. It was custom built by a MOT who raffled it off at a member meet-up.

Quote:
Nice comparison eke!

Having owned the HD600s I definitely agree with your views on it. I still think that it has been one of the best headphones I have bought these past few years! I only got rid of it because I don't use it as much (I only use closed-back headphones at work due to sound leakage).

Now you need to try the Mad Dogs or LFF's Paradox... and compare them with the HD600s :p

HD600s SHOULD be FOTM... (flavor of the millenium!) I doubt that for the price there are much better headphones out there!

Would like to test the HE500s one of these days... maybe :wink:

The Mad Dogs are probably the only phone I have a desire to try now. I hope you do get a chance to audition the HE-500, so we can compare notes.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #21 of 260
Comfort can be argued further in the HD600's favor though, assuming one was to stretch the metal headband adjusters to get rid of the nasty vice grip.

BTW, great review! My two favorite headphones.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #22 of 260
Quote:
Comfort can be argued further in the HD600's favor though, assuming one was to stretch the metal headband adjusters to get rid of the nasty vice grip.

BTW, great review! My two favorite headphones.

On the comfort front I can argue that Hifiman headband shape is fully remoldable since it's just a spring-steel core with leather around, plus the cups have 1 more axis of rotation than the HD6X0s, so the fit can be adjusted to be better.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #23 of 260
Quote:
I feel like I'm the only one who seems to like the look of the HD600 a lot. It actually looks better than the HD650 to me but I know many people think that granite color looks horrifying. I must be crazy. I really love the sound of the HD600. Miss it so much and I'm slowly waiting for a good deal to come up to reclaim it back into my collection. 

Great read as well. Thanks for the comparision

i like the HD600 look wayyyyyy more then the HD650. The granite colour is so sexy :p

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Mar 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #26 of 260
Quote:
On the comfort front I can argue that Hifiman headband shape is fully remoldable since it's just a spring-steel core with leather around, plus the cups have 1 more axis of rotation than the HD6X0s, so the fit can be adjusted to be better.

Oh, I had no problem with the way the HE-500 fit. I just found it too heavy. Clamp was pretty tight, but I guess that could be adjusted via the steel core headband you've mentioned.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #27 of 260
Quote:

Oh, I had no problem with the way the HE-500 fit. I just found it too heavy. Clamp was pretty tight, but I guess that could be adjusted via the steel core headband you've mentioned.

Yeah, the weight takes getting used to, once you do though it's no bother.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #28 of 260

I'm a rabid fan of the HE500, but if the HD600 is as like the HD650 in comfort, then the HD600 would slaughter it, comfort-wise. I have a rather small head though, and never felt the 'death-clamp'. The superior sound trumps the comfort though.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #29 of 260
Quote:
I'm a rabid fan of the HE500, but if the HD600 is as like the HD650 in comfort, then the HD600 would slaughter it, comfort-wise. I have a rather small head though, and never felt the 'death-clamp'. The superior sound trumps the comfort though.

I find that very debatable.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #30 of 260
Quote:

I find that very debatable.

Agreed.

Quote:
I'm a rabid fan of the HE500, but if the HD600 is as like the HD650 in comfort, then the HD600 would slaughter it, comfort-wise. I have a rather small head though, and never felt the 'death-clamp'.

Last time I compared the two, there is literally no difference in comfort between the HD600 and HD650. The headband padding design change is undetectable, although I prefer the HD650s "cut out" design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back