[REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600
Mar 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #31 of 260
Quote:
The HE-500 benefits by adding extra padding to the headband. I own the HD650 and its comfort is far better than the HE-500.

Having said that, its comfort does become less of an issue as you spend time with it. It sounds NOTHING like the HD650 unless it's underpowered, IMHO. Since the HD650 and HD600 are said to be so similar, I'm tempted to think that you may be under-powering it.

So true.  This is the only way I fly.

Eke,  Thanks for the objective review.  It's good to read a review with a variety of music where one headphone may excel against the other on one title, then take a step back when the next track gets played.  All too often, we see comments get posted here on the forum like "Man, my new XYZ just smashed the boogers out of the old DEF that it was replacing."  When those comments are made, I don't learn much from them.  As to pitting the HD-600 against the HE-500, I guess it can be a somewhat fair fight, given how both headphones are relatively popular.

In my case, I have the HE-5LE as well as the HD-600.  As much as I like the HE-5LE, I then put on my HD-600s and am amazed each time that I listen to them.  The conclusion?  Well, both are staying in my collection and neither will be leaving.  And, for good measure, the HE-500 will be joining the ranks of the other two a bit later this week.  I'll then swear that this is the end ... honestly.  
size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #32 of 260
Quote:

I find that very debatable.

And you're welcome to it.  It's not like I think the HD6x0 family are bad headphones.  They rock!  And they're comfortable.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #33 of 260
Quote:

Eke,  Thanks for the objective review.  It's good to read a review with a variety of music where one headphone may excel against the other on one title, then take a step back when the next track gets played.  All too often, we see comments get posted here on the forum like "Man, my new XYZ just smashed the boogers out of the old DEF that it was replacing."  When those comments are made, I don't learn much from them.  As to pitting the HD-600 against the HE-500, I guess it can be a somewhat fair fight, given how both headphones are relatively popular.

In my case, I have the HE-5LE as well as the HD-600.  As much as I like the HE-5LE, I then put on my HD-600s and am amazed each time that I listen to them.  The conclusion?  Well, both are staying in my collection and neither will be leaving.  And, for good measure, the HE-500 will be joining the ranks of the other two a bit later this week.  I'll then swear that this is the end ... honestly.  
size]

Can you show me where to get that headband bolster thingie?

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #35 of 260
Quote:

Eke,  Thanks for the objective review.  It's good to read a review with a variety of music where one headphone may excel against the other on one title, then take a step back when the next track gets played.  All too often, we see comments get posted here on the forum like "Man, my new XYZ just smashed the boogers out of the old DEF that it was replacing."  When those comments are made, I don't learn much from them.  As to pitting the HD-600 against the HE-500, I guess it can be a somewhat fair fight, given how both headphones are relatively popular.

tongue_smile.gif

Thanks! That's exactly why I do my reviews like this. I hate when people make those kinds of statements, especially when other people's money is at stake.

On a side note, that stand in your picture worries me. It looks like the weight of the cups is disfiguring the headband, and might ultimately compromise the connections....

Quote:

And you're welcome to it.  It's not like I think the HD6x0 family are bad headphones.  They rock!  And they're comfortable.

We'd hardly be human if we all had the same opinion 
beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #36 of 260
Quote:

size]

Would love to hear your impressions on a head to head of these vs a Grado/Magnum. As these will be your last cans... 
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #37 of 260
Quote:

On a side note, that stand in your picture worries me. It looks like the weight of the cups is disfiguring the headband, and might ultimately compromise the connections....

Actually, it is OK.  The shape of the HifiMAN curve that you see would appear as though the cups are pulling on the band.  However, that's just the curvature of the band in its factory state.  I've never really ever adjusted any of my HifiMAN bands to have a bit less grip on my head when wearing them.  Others may have, which is why the view might seem different.  As to the Woo Audio headphone stands, I'll be sewing on leather (padded) sleeves over the round metal component that the headphone headband rests on.  I figure it will ease up on any permanent indentations that could be created into the foam on my pad.

Quote:
Would love to hear your impressions on a head to head of these vs a Grado/Magnum. As these will be your last cans... 
biggrin.gif

In all honesty, I don't own any more Grado or Grado-Magnum hybrid headphones.  After getting into the orthodynamic headphones and others, I just found myself falling in love with other sound signatures.  However, I did find a pair of the HF-2 Grados that were being sold somewhat locally a bit over a half a year ago.  I took the hour drive to pick them up on a Saturday.  This would have been the 2nd pair of the HF-2 that I had owned as the previous pair had been sold off a few years earlier.  The result?  I spent the greater part of Saturday trying to re-acclimate myself to the sound of the HF-2 and what I had remembered when I owned it before.  I realized I didn't really have the love for that sound anymore.  I couldn't relate to it.  It was actually tough, so I put the HF-2 up for sale the following day as I didn't see any compromise in sight.

I think Grado is a "gateway headphone".  Many people get their start with Grado.  Some really love what it offers, so they stay with them..  But, with others, they get used to other, weightier headphones with a different sound signature or bass presence and they never look back.  But, it's all about personal preference.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #38 of 260
Mar 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #39 of 260
Since I really like the HE-400 the HE-500 will be my next ortho purchase.  I know I'll probably like the HE-500 more because its less colored than the 400 and more balanced as well.  I also have wanted the HD600 for quite awhile so that's one I'm going to get also.  Now that I've finally got a good open-back HP and how much I like it I don't see me getting anymore IEM's for quite a long time, I'm even thinking of selling the ones I do have and just keep 1 pair.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #40 of 260
Since I really like the HE-400 the HE-500 will be my next ortho purchase.  I know I'll probably like the HE-500 more because its less colored than the 400 and more balanced as well.  I also have wanted the HD600 for quite awhile so that's one I'm going to get also.  Now that I've finally got a good open-back HP and how much I like it I don't see me getting anymore IEM's for quite a long time, I'm even thinking of selling the ones I do have and just keep 1 pair.

I've seen people "upgrade" to the 500, only to go back to the 400. I'd suggest auditioning it first before jumping all in.

I know what you mean about IEMs though. I've listened to mine a total of 10 times since getting my DT880 and HD600. There's just something so great about the presentation of a full sized open back.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #41 of 260
Nice review, I have both HE500 and HD600, and I love both of them. My preference is HE500 though. Driven by same amp Lyr, HE500 shows off more details, clarity, and is airier. HE500 is definitely a step ahead in bass department. Still, I will say HD600 is better price/performance ratio, and is my worthiest purchase. I can live happily with HD600, save sometimes when I need to reach denons for better isolation or bedside listening sessions.HD600 sits on top of my head more than HE500. You see, I can use HD600 multi-purpose, for gaming, movies, and music alike. But HE500 cannot really help me enjoy watching movies for long. The longer it stays on my head, the more I am aware of its 'existence' on my head. :frowning2:

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #42 of 260
Quote:
Nice review, I have both HE500 and HD600, and I love both of them. My preference is HE500 though. Driven by same amp Lyr, HE500 shows off more details, clarity, and is airier. HE500 is definitely a step ahead in bass department. Still, I will say HD600 is better price/performance ratio, and is my worthiest purchase. I can live happily with HD600, save sometimes when I need to reach denons for better isolation or bedside listening sessions.HD600 sits on top of my head more than HE500. You see, I can use HD600 multi-purpose, for gaming, movies, and music alike. But HE500 cannot really help me enjoy watching movies for long. The longer it stays on my head, the more I am aware of its 'existence' on my head. :frowning2:

I share a very similar view.  There are times in this forum where someone will make a comment about the Sennheiser headphones (6## series) being so costly.  Granted, some of these comments might come now due to the pricing enforcement by Sennheiser.  However, I still very much believe that they are a very good value for what one gets.  Clearly, Sennheiser has put a lot of R&D dollars into the efforts of making some good sounding headphones.  That alone, can lead to a somewhat clostlier product.  However, their model is a proven one.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #43 of 260
Quote:

I guess I have more of a focus on the natural timbre of things, which the HD600 portrays much better than the HE-500. Maybe if you listened primarily to electronic music, the HE-500 would be the better bet.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #44 of 260
I guess I have more of a focus on the natural timbre of things, which the HD600 portrays much better than the HE-500. Maybe if you listened primarily to electronic music, the HE-500 would be the better bet.

Once again, I only have experience with the HD650, but between the HE-500 and HD650, the HE-500 is vastly better for female vocals and acoustic or indie rock and the HD650 might have an edge on electronic music.

I really need to hear the HD600...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back