REVIEW: HiFiMan HE-500 Orthodynamic Headphones....Less Is More!
Jun 3, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #46 of 140
I have some paypal dollars saved up from all the items I've sold recently, I was going to buy the Wesone ES5 online but I demoed the Fitear MH334 locally http://fitear.jp/music/sp/334sp.html and picked that up instead. I will post a review of my Fitear's when they come in.

Hmmm, now what to do with all these paypal dollars, hmmmmmmm.

Thanks to your review LFF I'm tempted, very tempted to pickup a pair
happy_face1.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #47 of 140

Quote:
I have some paypal dollars saved up from all the items I've sold recently, I was going to buy the Wesone ES5 online but I demoed the Fitear MH334 locally http://fitear.jp/music/sp/334sp.html and picked that up instead. I will post a review of my Fitear's when they come in.

Hmmm, now what to do with all these paypal dollars, hmmmmmmm.

Thanks to your review LFF I'm tempted, very tempted to pickup a pair
happy_face1.gif

You will NOT be sorry if you do! I can't wait to save up and order mine!!!

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #48 of 140
Excellent review LFF! I ordered the "Richard Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra; Camille Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 (Organ)" based on your review. My ultimate headphones would be the custom-cabled LCD-2. I will also definitely be considering the HE-500 now. I suppose the choice of tube or SS amp would be user preference since the HE-500 seems to be fairly neutral? I'm guessing I would prefer tube. I presume you used the stock cable for your review?

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #49 of 140

Quote:
Excellent review LFF! I ordered the "Richard Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra; Camille Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 (Organ)" based on your review. My ultimate headphones would be the custom-cabled LCD-2. I will also definitely be considering the HE-500 now. I suppose the choice of tube or SS amp would be user preference since the HE-500 seems to be fairly neutral? I'm guessing I would prefer tube. I presume you used the stock cable for your review?

I am happy to have read that you ordered that CD. It's awesome and I am sure you will enjoy it.

SS or tube is really up to you and what sound you prefer. The HE-500 is definitely the most neutral of the bunch. I did use the stock cable for my review. It's the only cable I had for those headphones. It would be interesting to see how an aftermarket cable would change the sound. I'm slowly saving up for my HE-500's and can't wait for the day I actually own them.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #50 of 140
Quote:
I am happy to have read that you ordered that CD. It's awesome and I am sure you will enjoy it.

SS or tube is really up to you and what sound you prefer. The HE-500 is definitely the most neutral of the bunch. I did use the stock cable for my review. It's the only cable I had for those headphones. It would be interesting to see how an aftermarket cable would change the sound. I'm slowly saving up for my HE-500's and can't wait for the day I actually own them.

You would be surprised at how much a cable change could alter the sound.

I was experimenting with my HE-4's cable, and the results were quite interesting. The entire spectrum gained more brightness, and dare I say possibly slightly more neutral than the Canare cable. But unfortunately, midrange took a punch (not too bad) and so did the warmth. Bass is slightly a bit more recessed as well. Generally, it transformers it more toward a HE-4 or a DT880. With some songs, I actually thought the Canare cable sounded slightly "off" on some songs, while the HE-4's cable sounded perfect. But after even further testing a few weeks later (aka today), I'm finding the sound the Canare puts out more to my preference, as they sound is that much more friendly, enveloping, and rich. There is just something magical about that Canare.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #51 of 140

Quote:
You would be surprised at how much a cable change could alter the sound.

I was experimenting with my HE-4's cable, and the results were quite interesting. The entire spectrum gained more brightness, and dare I say possibly slightly more neutral than the Canare cable. But unfortunately, midrange took a punch (not too bad) and so did the warmth. Bass is slightly a bit more recessed as well. Generally, it transformers it more toward a HE-4 or a DT880. With some songs, I actually thought the Canare cable sounded slightly "off" on some songs, while the HE-4's cable sounded perfect. But after even further testing a few weeks later (aka today), I'm finding the sound the Canare puts out more to my preference, as they sound is that much more friendly, enveloping, and rich. There is just something magical about that Canare.

I wouldn't be that surprised really but I wish I could have had a few cables to test when I had them for review. As I mentioned in my review, I found them to be very neutral with just a tad of brightness added in. If I could get a cable to eliminate that wee bit of brightness and bring the high end in line with the rest of the audio spectrum on the HE-500, I would be ecstatic!

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #52 of 140
Quote:
I wouldn't be that surprised really but I wish I could have had a few cables to test when I had them for review. As I mentioned in my review, I found them to be very neutral with just a tad of brightness added in. If I could get a cable to eliminate that wee bit of brightness and bring the high end in line with the rest of the audio spectrum on the HE-500, I would be ecstatic!

Well, I guess I meant, you may be surprised at what the HE-4's cable does to the HE-500's sound that is totally and completely apparent.

I actually find their brightness to be juuust right. The bass is definitely nice and balanced, yet of high quality as well. Probably the closest thing to perfection as I've ever heard, not to mention the closest thing I've heard to being neutral. It's apparent the midrange is the most noticeable of the trio, but it's just so addicting! I really just cannot get over how good these sound, and I'm trying to think of anything I would change about it.

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #53 of 140

Quote:
You will NOT be sorry if you do! I can't wait to save up and order mine!!!

You're right, I just got mine in and they sound great!!! I'm really liking these and they are a nice step up from my Grado SR-325. I tried alot of cans lately including the RS1, JVC DX-1000, the Denon D7000, the Audeze LCD2(not sure which version but newer stock with a Blossom amp), the T1, HD800, and Hifiman HE-5LE. I think these compare very well to the others I've auditioned, I'm really liking the balanced sound the HE-500 have, very enjoyable and seems like its quite versatile for various types of music, a good all rounder in my opinion. I'm enjoying these off of my uDac2! I can't wait to unbox my Luxman DA-200 DAC(in the process of moving and setting up) and hooking it up!!!

I think the HE-500 will be last purchase in a while, I'm pretty happy with my setup now.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #54 of 140
Totally agree with Katun. I have a HE headphone cable made of Siltech G7 which is a silver gold blend cable. It was made by a well known person at one of the Chinese headphone forums. The best headphone cable i have ever experienced. You know sometimes when you try a new cable and don't hear any difference initially, which makes you wonder if this whole thing is just a marketing hype.
Well, the sonic difference my G7 makes is very obvious. It gives a richer, more open, relaxed and airy sound. it works very well with my HE-6 and HE-500.

here is a pic of my cable.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #55 of 140
Hmm... where can we find this cable guy? he has any page or anything?

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #56 of 140
well...he is no longer making this one, because he ran out of the Siltech G7 cable, and it's almost impossible to get the raw G7 from Siltech. Howevery, he is currently taking order of a newly designed HE headphone cable called Timeline SA which is made of a silver-glod-copper blend made in Japan. there are two versions: Classic version and Vocal version. I just ordered a Classic version for my HE-500 which is suppose to bring HE500's sonic performance closer to HE-6. We will see. 
Unfortunately he only advertise in Chinese web site. for what it worth, here is the link http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12445064635

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #57 of 140
I have had a gap in my heart ever since I got to hear it a few months ago.  I made a huge mistake in buying the LCD2, as I ended up hating it.  It just didn't mesh with me as much as the He500 did.  There is a great chance I will end up buying them for myself sometime soon.  I didn't enjoy the size of the can or the terrible cable, but the sonic qualities were enough to satisfy me. It and the T1 were the only hi fi sets I would want to keep for myself.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #59 of 140
I did not hear a significant difference from the T1 to the He500 in sonic quality, only in soundstage size and overall coloration which the HE500 was simply bigger, more spacious and more airy. I wouldn't say the hifiman is significantly more clear sounding across the board, I can say the stage was better.  Thats all I feel comfortable in saying.   The T1 is my absolute favorite expensive set, I have yet to decide for sure if I will be purchasing the HE500, I chose it as a potential buy because I already owned the T1, loved it, but wanted yet more of an upgrade in all areas.  I recall the HE500 stage being noticeable larger, and that is all I care about.  The biggest stage size for my budget ( under $900 ) would definitely be the HE500.  The terrible cable is a deal breaker, but its more easily driven than the T1.  Its a hard choice for me right now

T1 Rebuy + great amp
He500 + decent amp + $200 replacement cable  

Either way I'll have to invest in something else along with the set I choose. :[

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #60 of 140
The reason i chose to re-purchase the T1 over the HE500 was build quality. The HE500 finish is lacking and the pads were poorly designed. but I know Fang addressed the pad issue. I used an HE6 cable. The 6 was much better  The T1 has more focus IMO and nmore definition in its soundstage. I have no regrets. I do not miss having the planar and had them all and the two I started with the T1 and D7000 are the only headp[hones I have owned twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back