REVIEW: HiFiMan HE-500 Orthodynamic Headphones....Less Is More!
May 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #31 of 140
I really hope these synergize well with the EF5, because I don't want to have to waste more money on a Lyr.
redface.gif

May 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #32 of 140
So you definitely prefer it to the HE-6? A more in-depth A/B of the two once you feel that the 500s have settled would be very interesting.

May 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #33 of 140
From the description, I gues He-500 is much easier to get good sound and focus on mid and low more,
so if you can drive the HE-6 thoroughly, I guess He-6 should be still best. but can you?

May 8, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #34 of 140
I took the 500s to a poker game last night. These guys play music and have a decent ear for it. Every one was stunned at the clarity and impact they gave. They also said they never expected a headphone to sound as good or better than their systems at home. When I gave them the price, all hell broke loose. How many people would spend that much money on headphones? I've told them that the big brother 6s have sold 25 sets so far on our forums. I'm sure there are more sold that hasn't been listed. When the 500s hit the street, there will be a backorder for them.

Bravo to HiFiMan for such a solid effort to establish a reference on their first foray into the headphone world. I'm stunned at the quality of sound.

May 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #35 of 140
Just got the HE-500s today and couldn't resist hooking it up to my portable gear shown--iPad/Algorithm Solo/iBasso DB2/RSA SR71B--with the HE-6 stock balanced cable using Whiplash TWag adapters.  Really, just a few minutes worth of listening, nothing solid. But...the last time I heard "Gypsy" from Bella Sonus quite like this was from my balanced R10s.  I no longer own those, but that's what this brief experience has recalled in me.  Very alluring, indeed.

The HE-6 paired to the same gear is much harder to drive and quite different experience even though the headphones external design is very similar.  The HE-6 is more detailed with better treble extensions and slightly better instrument separation.  But for certain genres and most portable digital sources and solid/state amps out there, I suspect the HE-500 will be a preferred choice, based on its own merits alone, and not the price difference vs. the HE-6.

If only the Ultrasone Edition 10s sounded like these for $2,500, I would still own them.  And that just underscores the value statement here.  I suspect Head-Direct will not have any problems selling every single pair they can make.

May 11, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #38 of 140
May 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #45 of 140
For anyone that wants more pictures. I got mine in today.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549413/hifiman-introduces-new-he-500-planar-magnetic-headphones/405#post_7484811

Users who are viewing this thread

Back