REVIEW: HiFi ET MA9 - a new reference level DAP
Nov 23, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #77 of 92
I should have replied to this thread ages ago. I actually did contact Alex and bought the last modded MA9 he had. It was used but in good condition. Compared with some other portable players I have or tried, it isn't quite as airy as some, but it has a "natural", more full bodied sound that I can't usually get with other players, at least not without a separate external amp. It's definitely a long term keeper in my collection. I just have to get back to trying to get Rockbox installed on a higher capacity card.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #79 of 92
Four batteries sets
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #80 of 92
anybody have compare it with hdpr10?
i have hdpr10 and yesterday i try ma8 with er4pt and my hdpr10 sounds "thick" which i don't like it
so, someday i use the IA when plugged er4pt to hdpr10

i interested with the removable ampcard

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #84 of 92
And a few Golden ones (like mine) were custom-upgraded with Black Gate caps :)
I think not more than a couple of dozens Golden Cards were made, but no proof.
Black Gate Golden Card sounds so much better than standard or regular balanced.

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #86 of 92
Guys, I need help. I have a semi-broken MA9. It should be in working order but somehow it stops playing music after 5 minutes and there is only hum... resetting doesn't help. Tried to switch software versions to no avail, on some versions I get 5 minutes of music (or not) and then it breaks and there is only hum / noise. It's a new unit for me bought from a friend here on head-fi. Could you please help me get it in working order?

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #87 of 92
Guys, I need help. I have a semi-broken MA9. It should be in working order but somehow it stops playing music after 5 minutes and there is only hum... resetting doesn't help. Tried to switch software versions to no avail, on some versions I get 5 minutes of music (or not) and then it breaks and there is only hum / noise. It's a new unit for me bought from a friend here on head-fi. Could you please help me get it in working order?
What firmware do you use? stock or rockbox?
What file format you're playing when having that issue?

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #88 of 92
Is the unit fully charged? If one of the batteries is very low, it may cause a shutdown.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #89 of 92
The issue that a file plays for a while and then there is a constant noise usually appears on a stock firmware with a flac files encoded with high compression settings.
With stock firmware I suggest using flac with compression no more that 4, or even decode them in wav.
Also there are issues with 24bit files

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #90 of 92
What firmware do you use? stock or rockbox?
What file format you're playing when having that issue?
I've used various Rockbox builds. Maybe I could test stock? Can you provide me with files?
Formats were various, nothing special here, normal flac files, 16bit 44k CD quality.
Is the unit fully charged? If one of the batteries is very low, it may cause a shutdown.
Yeah, one rockbox build shown me one of batteries was down (other builds didn't!) and it shut down the device. So I charged it. And other build weren't shutting down the device. That makes me think maybe one of the batteries is broken?
(Where to buy new batteries?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back