Review: HeadAmp Pico w/ DAC
Jul 16, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #31 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the Pico as an all-in-one solution. It's so convenient. Plug into any usb port on any computer and Presto! Sweet sweet music.

No drivers. No fuss. Just music.

-Ed

Couldn't have said it better....

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #33 of 92
How could I have missed this???

Great review as always Asr, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Most of the amps I've heard have had too high gain for low impedance headphones. Headfive had too high gain with my DT990 32ohm. I could only use the dial from 7 to 9. With the Zero internal amp, I can use from 7 to about 8.5 with my AD2000. With my Little Dot MKIII on lowest gain i use 7 to 8 with AD2000.

EDIT: The Zero amp have channel imbalance at low volume, so the dial is more like 8 (volume without imbalance) to 8.5.

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #36 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here able to shed some light, I am thinking of getting either K701 or HD650 - I know Asr advised not to have this as primary solution, but thats my intent.

Any ideas

Why not sell one of the two DAC/Amps you own for some reason and get a good home amp to drive them? You could get a good desktop amp and have money left over with the sale of one of those.

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #37 of 92
Well I am selling the Predator, but I don't want to commit to a desk amp, last time I tried I hardly used it. I just want the Pico as my all around baby for anything I need her to do (I am a one amp/multi earphone guy lol)

Gonna loan K701s from a friend to see how they go, I may not even get either depending on what I feel with the K7s

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #38 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I am selling the Predator, but I don't want to commit to a desk amp, last time I tried I hardly used it. I just want the Pico as my all around baby for anything I need her to do (I am a one amp/multi earphone guy lol)

Gonna loan K701s from a friend to see how they go, I may not even get either depending on what I feel with the K7s

You should consider other things (ie. other than K701 and HD650) as well, such as the HD600, K500/K501, Denon D2000, etc.

The Denons in particular are much more likely to be driven properly through the Pico.

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #39 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons in particular are much more likely to be driven properly through the Pico.

This intrigues me as I have the Denon D5000's and can't really afford a desktop or tube amp. I'm looking for something to tighten up their bass but without taking away the warmth or making the highs harsher, is the neutrality people are talking about with the Pico here what I'm looking for?

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #40 of 92
I'm finding the Pico is my favorite with my APS V2 cabled D2000 (no other mods) and with Klipsch Image X10 and Freq Show customs.

So, that may or may not translate to the D5000, but with the above 3 phones and highs are smooth and warmth is still present.

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #41 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm finding the Pico is my favorite with my APS V2 cabled D2000 (no other mods) and with Klipsch Image X10 and Freq Show customs.

So, that may or may not translate to the D5000, but with the above 3 phones and highs are smooth and warmth is still present.

I thought you preferred the pred with your FreQs?

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #42 of 92
More recently I have been trying the Pico with the Freq Show because the Freq Show are still just a little too forward in the mids for me, and the Pico pulls the mids back, while at the same time it boosts the highs that my Freq Show are missing.

So, I have been trying to use the Pico like an EQ for those two IEM as I add more items to my synergy review, which I will update soon by adding the Image, SA6, Micro Amp, TTVJ millett and D2 Boa. But, the Predator and Pico have been switching places between 1st and 2nd when used with the Freq Show for the past 2-3 weeks. I should note I only get this improvement in the Freq Show when feeding the Pico DAC from my laptop, but not with my iMod and Pico.

The mids problem is so pervasive with my Freq Show, using a wide assortment of sources and amps, that I feel it is a problem with the interaction of the Freq Show IEM and my ear canals, and not the amp's fault. I had posted about the mids problem in the Freq thread a while back, when I almost asked for a refund. A refit and amping them fixed 80% of the mids problem to the point that I could enjoy them with any amp, at the time of my IEM/Amp synergy review. And for several weeks I stayed with the Predator with them. But I think the Pico might fix another 3-5% of the problem with the mids ringing in my ears.

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #43 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should note I only get this improvement in the Freq Show when feeding the Pico DAC from my laptop, but not with my iMod and Pico.

I get what you mean... I've read other reports that the PICO via DAC sounds much better than just amp alone, so I guess that's where the magic lies. Thanks for the clarification!

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #44 of 92
Please recommend, does Pico match to my Sony Net MD, Etymotic ER4P with PtoS cable, and MicroShar cable?

I do not use any computor as a source, and classical music is my favorite.
Any comment is much appreciated.

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #45 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by thirawatjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please recommend, does Pico match to my Sony Net MD, Etymotic ER4P with PtoS cable, and MicroShar cable?

I do not use any computor as a source, and classical music is my favorite.
Any comment is much appreciated.

It's difficult to make ER4S sound bad.
etysmile.gif

I once had a low-end Sony Hi-MD player and it sounded great with my ER4P alone. I mainly use my Pico with computer as source but my ER4P>S sounds excellent. I give classical 20% or more of my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back