REVIEW: Head-Direct RE2 IEM and Fiio E5 amp
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #33 of 89
Sorry to revive old threads, but this was the one that made me pull the trigger on the RE2 + E5, except if I waited it would've been even cheaper (now 50 bucks together) since my E5 only shipped like today from Hongkong after 2 weeks. I got my RE2 TODAY and my first and only experience with IEM is the Creative EP-630, which unfortunately broke a month or so ago, so the majority of my impressions will be weighed against that and couple of cheapo earbuds I used for substitute meanwhile.

Once again this is my out of box impressions. First thing I noticed is that the wires are quit a bit stiffer than my EP630, and as soon as I put it on I noticed the microphonics which is a lot worse than the EP630 as well. The EP-630 also suffers from the same problem but nowhere as bad as this, as it stands I'll be taking a walk with these tomorrow but these are definitely not for you if you want to jog around - then again maybe you should look into earbuds. For me I will primarily be using these at work as well as on the bus (roughly 2 hours each day), so the microphonics is not the end of the world, however isolation is something I'll have more thoughts on in the coming days.

As for sound, having read some negative reviews since on this forum I was quite afraid that it'd turn out to be disappointing and make me regret not getting NE-7M - but so far I'm reserving judgement.. When I started I tried all the tips but I never inserted them any deeper than I did with my EP-630 which is quite shallow. The result of that with biflanges of course is that the seal was probably not good and the bass was severely lacking. I then switched to the regular tips, and even used my EP-630 one that previously fit me perfectly, but the result just didn't seem to be as good and there certainly was not the boomy bass I was used to with the EP-630, but then again the 630 is pretty much known for that and nothing else. So at this point I was beginning to wish for my e5 to get here, and I began playing some music and compare different tips on left and right - and suddenly entirely by accident I started hearing the bass I was looking for. Turns out since the biflanges go way deeper in comparison I never did insert them properly and deep enough to create a good seal, and my accidental push and twist motion did the trick with the default white biflanges. Of course the bass still doesn't match the EP-630, but I'm willing to wait it out and see, plus the real test is when I'm on the bus listening to nonstop roaring of the engines. However I will say that the biflanges aren't as comfortable to me due to the deep insertions, so as a first impression, I have to give comfort to the EP-630 but obviously I need to give it time, but I would say that the build quality etc of the EP-630 appeared to be better.

While looking for bass the other thing I noticed was that the sound stage, at least what I think is the sound stage mentioned on these forums, to be a lot bigger than I was used to. And, surprise, I was able to hear things, well, rather, notice guitars etc in songs that I've never noticed before with the EP-630. At last here is the thing that people have been raving about for the RE2, and I'm quite pleased that this is the case...

I expect to receive my E5 within the week, and of course between then there'll be plenty of burn in, psychological, physical, or both, so I'll try and report back further impressions, though at the moment it appears that RE2 has fallen out of favor and everyone is singing praises for the NE-7M.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #34 of 89
Agree that seal/fit are critical for RE2s, but that's true of any phone that goes in your ear. Burn-in will help, and since I do own a pair of RE2s, in my view they are high-quality phones but really do require an amp, even if it's just the E5, to shine. No shock there. I prefer them to the NE-7M, to be honest, because I like their overall balance much more.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #35 of 89
The seal I get from the RE2 big biflange tips is great: when I push them firmly in, I can feel them sucking the air inside my ears, and when I pull on them, I enjoy (ouch!) a very telling vacuum effect.

[Edit:] Waitaminute. I do get a vacuum effect, but, but, but how is that possible? The RE2 is an open design!
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #36 of 89
RE2 can only be counted as semi-opened design, since the part that facing the ear canal is fully sealed in used (thus the vacuum) while the back is opened. Something like Sony EX85 will be fully opened.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #37 of 89
The RE2 do improve with burn-in and the E5 as I stated, so don't worry.

Also, a vaccum is still possible to occur between the ear drum and the diaphragm of the RE2 driver - as it's only the back of the driver that is open to the outside, but there is no vent from the ear-drum side of the driver.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #38 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE2 can only be counted as semi-opened design, since the part that facing the ear canal is fully sealed in used (thus the vacuum) while the back is opened. Something like Sony EX85 will be fully opened.

You posted while I had 25 windows open, and by the time I got to answering I didn't see your's till after I said the same thing.
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #39 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You posted while I had 25 windows open, and by the time I got to answering I didn't see your's till after I said the same thing.
tongue.gif

Ha, I only have 8 windows open, me win!
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #41 of 89
i really wanna to buy one of theses E5 looks like a relly improve for the ipod sound

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #43 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by rutgersftw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review! I bought a pair sans amp.

I saw your original post - they will loosen up with some hours on them (see my review) and bass does fill in more over time, although they still sound best with a warm amp. They actually play very low (to 20-25Hz if I recall), but they're just not a bassy headphone.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #44 of 89
Thanks, once I shoved the bi-flanges in deep enough for them to airlock the bass became very present in most of the music I listen to. I played some Nas and Ghost Face and realize these can't do the loose 808 bass thing like cheaper, bassier phones can, but for the rock, folk, and jazz I normally stick to - these are just heavenly. Other than some serious microphonics (attenuated with the clip), I have no further issues. What a great deal for $44 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back