REVIEW: Head-Direct RE2 IEM and Fiio E5 amp
Jun 6, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #76 of 89
Hmmm. Great sound quality. Problem is; my right earpiece just crackled, hissed then promptly died on the spot about 3 hours ago
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #77 of 89
I need new IEMs and the RE-2 have caught my attention. I have a Sony NWZ-A729 which doesn't have a line out, so if I used an amp I would have to use it though the headphone out. Will the E5 will be useful with the RE-2 out of the headphone out? If so, for best results should the DAP have the volume all the way up, using the amp for the volume control? (If that is the case I'd guess that this would mitigate DAP any battery life advantage of using an amp).

I'll probably end up getting the E5 just for the heck of it since it's only $10 more, but it would be nice to get some advance info on using it.

Also, since some time has passed since they were introduced, how are the RE-2's holding up? Has build quality proven to be pretty good?

Thanks for any help!

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need new IEMs and the RE-2 have caught my attention. I have a Sony NWZ-A729 which doesn't have a line out, so if I used an amp I would have to use it though the headphone out. Will the E5 will be useful with the RE-2 out of the headphone out? If so, for best results should the DAP have the volume all the way up, using the amp for the volume control? (If that is the case I'd guess that this would mitigate DAP any battery life advantage of using an amp).

I'll probably end up getting the E5 just for the heck of it since it's only $10 more, but it would be nice to get some advance info on using it.

Also, since some time has passed since they were introduced, how are the RE-2's holding up? Has build quality proven to be pretty good?

Thanks for any help!

I am finding the E5 doesn't make the signal sound worse after it amplifies it, like the E3 did. So, use the best signal you can feed it and you should be okay amping the RE2 off the Sony.

I am using my Westone 3 and ES3X, and have the kids doing the torture tests as they use the E5 and RE2. They have been holding up well - my 11 yr old son has failed to break the E5 and my 14 yr old daughter has failed to destroy the RE2 as well. So far so good...

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #79 of 89
This review finally pushed me over the edge to register - no more lurking for me!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Thank you for the review. I just received my RE2's, and to be honest, I am initially disappointed. The light bass is killing me while listening to bass monsters like Daft Punk and Boys Noize.

However, being relatively new the the Audiophile game, I have neglected to account for burn-in
tongue_smile.gif

I will burn-in these phones over the weekend (while plugged into my Fiio E5, of course) and give them another try! I also intend to make my first attempt at a mini comparison between these RE2s, the EP-630s and my beloved (but soon-to-be-dead-left-channel) Creative Zen Aurvanas after a decent burn-in (at least 50 hours)!

P.S. Thanks in advance for your concerns about my wallet
jecklinsmile.gif

P.P.S. If anyone can recommend me a burn-in technique that will target bass, please let me know! For the time being, I'm just playing bass-heavy music with my source (Sony Ericsson Xperia) media player's bass boost on in addition to the Fiio E5 bass boost on.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #80 of 89
I am planning to buy the RE2 but without the Fiio because I am using my Samsung P2 for jogging and Skiing so adding the fiio...
redface.gif

Some of you said that the RE2 are made for Jazz and Classic music,now I am afraid that they will not be the best for my kind of music (Trance,Psytrance,Rock...) because I will not use the fiio5 and I don't know if the Samsung P2 can boost the Bass enough!
I am very tempted to take the new CX300 II even if I don't like extrem bass either,help!!

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #82 of 89
Yes but amazon charges about 23$ alone for standard shipment to my country and the waiting of 25 days is way too long,and no they dont have an EMS option...weird! While HD charges only 15$ for EMS via google checkout
confused_face(1).gif

The CX300 II are available in two shop here in case...

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidcorpo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This review finally pushed me over the edge to register - no more lurking for me!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Thank you for the review. I just received my RE2's, and to be honest, I am initially disappointed. The light bass is killing me while listening to bass monsters like Daft Punk and Boys Noize.

However, being relatively new the the Audiophile game, I have neglected to account for burn-in
tongue_smile.gif

I will burn-in these phones over the weekend (while plugged into my Fiio E5, of course) and give them another try! I also intend to make my first attempt at a mini comparison between these RE2s, the EP-630s and my beloved (but soon-to-be-dead-left-channel) Creative Zen Aurvanas after a decent burn-in (at least 50 hours)!

P.S. Thanks in advance for your concerns about my wallet
jecklinsmile.gif

P.P.S. If anyone can recommend me a burn-in technique that will target bass, please let me know! For the time being, I'm just playing bass-heavy music with my source (Sony Ericsson Xperia) media player's bass boost on in addition to the Fiio E5 bass boost on.

That is how I would burn them in - loud bass heavy music but not loud enough to damage them (if they sound clean without clipping when you test the volume you are probably okay)

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #84 of 89
I'm 75% sure I'll opt for a Fiio E5 now. Maybe if everything works out the cMoy will be my new headphone amplifier.

If I can't find anything better of comparable I''ll go for the E5.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ get the ne-7m instead.

x2. The RE2s will not be your bass phones, no matter what you do with the amp.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #87 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 75% sure I'll opt for a Fiio E5 now. Maybe if everything works out the cMoy will be my new headphone amplifier.

If I can't find anything better of comparable I''ll go for the E5.

lol skip the E5 and go with cmoy, but I guess I might be too late :p

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #88 of 89
i just got these are was not impressed at all. They were replacing my vsonic R02Pro2 that were lost. I was kicking myself for not buying the same pair again as the bass was poor and the sound was worse then my stock zune headphones. i could also hear this airy sound in the background in

after reading this thread i have decided to give them a good burn in with the fiio amp and give them a 2nd chance. I have them plugged into my zune with the amp playing cool kids - bake sale. Is there any advice to burn these headphones in?

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #89 of 89

Quote:
i just got these are was not impressed at all. They were replacing my vsonic R02Pro2 that were lost. I was kicking myself for not buying the same pair again as the bass was poor and the sound was worse then my stock zune headphones. i could also hear this airy sound in the background in

after reading this thread i have decided to give them a good burn in with the fiio amp and give them a 2nd chance. I have them plugged into my zune with the amp playing cool kids - bake sale. Is there any advice to burn these headphones in?

I just play electronic music at moderately loud levels for a week (or more if needed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back