Review: Head-Direct RE0
Jun 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #46 of 69
I tried an ibasso t2 with the RE0. The t2 was supposed to be warm, but didn't make the sound better, but rather worsened it by making it "dirtier" and more muffled. I haven't had any experiences with the Fiio E3 coupled with the RE0, although it wasn't too bad with Yuin G1.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #49 of 69
I use a Sansa Fuze, so it seems I might need an amp. But if the E3 will do just fine, I don't think I should miss out on the great price the RE0's are at now. I know I can't be underwhelmed by it, since it will be my first IEM if I do buy it.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #51 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the RE0 combined with the FiiO E3 be enough for bassy music, but also satisfy my needs for Classic Rock etc.?

I have the RE0 with the E5, which has a bass boost switch. I honestly, can't tell if the E5 does improve the sound or just boost the volume. I do use the bass boost on my '60-70's classic rock which was almost all recorded and mixed at lower volumes and flatter EQ. On modern loud music, however, the E5 bass boost does make the bass fuller, but a bit muddier and boomy, IMO.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #52 of 69
I can say for sure the E5 does not improve the RE0 at all. Depending on the attached MP3 player, it might even make the sound worse. After all, they're 64 Ohm and don't suffer from bass roll-off, crosstalk, hiss, or other issues that plague lower impedance phones on portable MP3 players.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say for sure the E5 does not improve the RE0 at all. Depending on the attached MP3 player, it might even make the sound worse. After all, they're 64 Ohm and don't suffer from bass roll-off, crosstalk, hiss, or other issues that plague lower impedance phones on portable MP3 players.

Yeah, the weakest link in my 320kbps mp3->Zune 30gb->E5->RE0 link is probably the E5, given how the RE0 exposes poor sources and boosts/amps.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #56 of 69
Another heads-up people,

I just ordered the RE0's from head direct 'directly', (rather than through ebay/amazon) and got them for $89 shipped to the UK, that came out at just shy of £60...... what a bargin!!

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the RE0's from head direct 'directly', (rather than through ebay/amazon) and got them for $89 shipped to the UK, that came out at just shy of £60...... what a bargin!!

Yeah, you are going to be amazed at what a great deal that is when you start listening to them!

Couple of things you may know about them already: 1) be sure to be patient with them the first 40-60 hours as they loosen up; and 2) if you have a decent portable amp, it will really help the RE0 shine to its best potential. My iBasso T3 really helps it.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another heads-up people,

I second point (1) "patience" from "kmhaynes".
When you first get them the clarity of mids and highs will knock your socks off.
After 50 hrs you should notice the bass quantity improving.
After 100 hrs i felt the mids to highs got a little smoother, but still retaining the clarity.
200 hrs i choose them over my x5s which costed me $239aud.
These are great value for money.
beerchug.gif

ps: dont forget to eq that bass
happy_face1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second point (1) from "kmhayne".
When you first get them the clarity of mids and highs will knock your socks off.
After 50 hrs you should notice the bass quantity improving.
After 100 hrs i felt the mids to highs got a little smoother, but still retaining the clarity.
200 hrs i choose them over my x5s which costed me $239aud.
These are great value for money.
beerchug.gif

I won't say they change drastically, but the highs will definitely get a little tamed, the bas was always there, it only means your ears will get accustomed to their signature.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't say they change drastically, but the highs will definitely get a little tamed, the bas was always there, it only means your ears will get accustomed to their signature.

I really don't agree, the RE0 has almost no bass at all when new, the bass does slowly gain in quantity with burn in IMO. I get my iBasso P2 tomorrow, I am pretty excited to hear how much they improve with amping and also bass boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back