Review: Head-Direct RE0
Dec 17, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #16 of 69
Some sparse thoughts:

-Head-Direct RE0 vs Klipsch Image X10 comparison

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say that the X10 and RE0 are equally good, but for different needs. The RE0 have wonderful treble and speed, clarity and smoothness, something hard to find in highly detailed IEMs. They are very balanced, I'd say flat. I would have preferred a more forward midrange, but other than that they are very neutral. The bass lacks depth, so sometimes one feels like the sound lacks body. It's not a volume thing, but more depth related. There are some vibrations missing. The bass is very clean though.

The Image X10 are very different. They have wonderful bass to start with, body and depth are all there. It also has more volume. Tonally, they are lush, dark, full sounding. People more knowledgeable than me at assessing instruments timbre consider the Image to have a very good timbre for a IEM. I can't confirm this with my words, but it deserves to be mentioned. The Image fall short to the RE0 at treble. While the RE0 have the best treble I have found in a IEM, treble on the Image is subdued and lacks some excitement, as well as percussions power. Certain songs suffer from it.
The Image have bigger soundstage than the RE0.

Bottom line: neither is perfect, they are both great for different needs. The Image X10 were a good purchase at 175$.
The RE0 are a very good purchase at the price they are being discounted now (159$).

-Bringing deep bass out (tips vs amps / foam tips experiment suggestions)

Quote:

Hey, some quick answers for you:
I am not interested in trying to remove the filters to do that "treble mod", as the RE0 treble is about perfect and it would be screwed up.
I quite liked the Mini^3 amp with the RE0, but the overall improvement was negligible compared to the hassle of carrying a portable amp. The first day it's fun, then it starts to be annoying.
Anyway, I am not sure if I have to suggest an amp with bass boost for the RE0. Most bass boost features would spoil the balance and add unneded volume and bloat to the RE0 bass. For example, it's what happened when using the darkish and bloated iBasso T4, which detracted from the overall sound.
What the RE0 seriously lack is bass depth. The best way to fix it would be to experiment with tips. I don't have any at hand, but if I had to bet my money on a pair of tips, they would be Etymotic black foamies (otherwise considered gray, but they are pretty dark gray... anyway, you get the picture). These are wonderful sounding tips, and the only one to make justice to the deep bass Etys have. Olives and Complys, in comparison, suck at reproducing deep bass.
They also add some sharpness to the sound compared to the Olives, at least with the ER4, but it's not something I would worry about when adapting them to the RE0.
You need to adapt these tips since the nozzle diametere between the RE0 and the Etys is different. So you would have to remove the inner tube of the ER4 foamies (easy), and add insert in the foam the tube of Comply T400 tips (easy). It's not a hassle of a process like removing the Olives plastic tubes (that would have been hard).
As to durability, Ety foamies used to last a couple of weeks a pair to me. The first week they are wonderful fit wise, the second week they start to suck and are not so "full" in the ear like the previous days.
It's very likely that the midrange comes more forward too. This was another headfier's impression (jlingo) when adapting the Etys black foamies on his Triple.fi 10 Pro.

As said, tips are your best bet. Otherwise, you can try something with a mild bass boost, applied to the deepest regions. The Xin Supermini IV should apply there.

-Bringing the mids out (eq hints)

Quote:

In my opinion the RE0 would need some boost at the lower-center midrange, especially 1kHz, not in the upper midrange. The boost I am considering would make vocals closer, add presence and some volume to them. 3dB would be fine, I guess... a bit more would be pleasant too, but I wouldn't go over 4-5dB. After that point, there isn't much need for a boost.
Anyway, these are thoughts for anyone wanting to equalize them.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #17 of 69
antony,

What is the RE0 like without an amp? Would the earphones decrease in value? Without amplification, what earphones could you place it with in overall sound quality.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #18 of 69
RE0 without an amp is great, as much as with an amp. When I used to own the Mini^3 and iBasso T4, it was a short time before I decided the amp was unneeded.

I have done an approximate headphone ranking in my profile.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

I don't know if the commercial product has also an extention cable.

The commercial product did come with a Extension Cable..
regular_smile .gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #24 of 69
This just made my headphone shopping a lot harder. Can anyone recommend sub 75 buck portable amps for this? How does the e5 work? I assume the MiniBox-F portable headamp would sound good since it made by some of the same people.

Also does anyone have the phonak pfe's and these both? How do they compare?

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reviving an old thread because these phones are now priced at $99 on Head-Direct, which is a major discount.

That does it! Thanks for the heads-up. I now have RE0 on the way.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #26 of 69
If I had any cash left, I'd buy one too. Just out of money right now. I wish I had not gotten those new NuForce phones. Wonder if I can cancel the order, since they haven't shipped yet? Hmmm.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by casper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This just made my headphone shopping a lot harder. Can anyone recommend sub 75 buck portable amps for this? How does the e5 work? I assume the MiniBox-F portable headamp would sound good since it made by some of the same people.

Also does anyone have the phonak pfe's and these both? How do they compare?

It comes with a free E3, which isn't saying much, but it's something.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had any cash left, I'd buy one too. Just out of money right now. I wish I had not gotten those new NuForce phones. Wonder if I can cancel the order, since they haven't shipped yet? Hmmm.

I suggest to cancel it, then buy the RE0, then wait until you are able to buy the new NuForce headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif
Or get the NuForce one and wait until you're able to afford the RE0. The whole summer, they will be on sale.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've seen this deal a few hours ago and I might get these if I'm able to get them. Head Direct has very nice sales.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #29 of 69
Might get them, but have been turned away slightly by the descriptions of a lackluster headstage. Soundstage seems to be a hallmark weakness for many IEMs and canalphones.. they just have that distinct IEM/canalphone feeling to them.

I'll probably pick them up in late July or August if the sale's still around.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #30 of 69
I thought these were great deal at 170 bucks, but now 100 bucks is just crazy!
eek.gif

I see that they no longer come with the nice case though, and the cable has been changed to the cloth type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back