[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Aug 24, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #406 of 1,181

Quote:
eric,

Yep, I've arrived in the customs world. Quite a different experience for sure. I'm *almost* looking forward to the next time I have to go to Asia, to see just how well they isolate. 

As for percussions (the whole range), well... I haven't heard any other IEM which can even give these a close run for the money. They reach so deep, while being textured and detailed, without bleeding at all into the mids. And since they do mids so well (if you could hear these while you still have access to the EX1000's, you'd hear the Sony mids as thin and sort of washed out believe it or not!!) smaller drum thwacks are very snappy and realistic. I mean all percussion is simply another level above anything else I've heard.

If you get a pair, you'll have to let me know how they stack up against your current quads. I don't think I'll be able to do any other custom sets for a long time. 

What you say doesn't surprise me at all buddy. Although I'm sure the sound signatures are somewhat different (although bass seems like it may be equal to the Quad based on who you described what you are hearing), I've said consistently that no universal beats my custom. And now you are pretty much saying the same thing about your custom - knowing that you and I both have pretty much heard the same top tier universals. Continue to enjoy with updated impressions here and there. Welcome to the magical world of customs again (although it doesn't negate some of the great sounding universals we have).

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #407 of 1,181
Right, a few of the top tier universals can definitely hold their own, although not quite at the same immersive level as the MG6Pro. Between the Gr07 and these, I saw no need for the SM3 anymore and sold them off right away... And recently I just sold the HFI-780's, so I've recouped a fair amount of the cost of the customs.... But now I've gone ahead and ordered a silver cable! I'm hoping it helps liven up the top end just a tad, because if I can find any fault at all with them it's that the top end is a touch dark. But then again before these I was using the EX1000's exclusively and they have that hugely sparkly and strong treble. Different presentations I guess!

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #408 of 1,181
I do love Atrio mids I don't even usually pay attention to the bass and bla bla bla it only shows up on some strong dub-step tracks. Where it reachs unflinchly low.

On another note I'm bouncing around in my seat right now and this is the cause.

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #410 of 1,181

Quote:

Lies, in a year or two you'll be entitled to a heavy discount for the MG6Pro successor... can't defeat upgrade-itis!

Oops, caught... Yep, I do fully intend to upgrade whenever they do so for their drivers. I don't think I'll be able to swing a fully new, different custom model though for a good while. Nor would I want to just for the sake of trying out various customs-- it would take a lot to sway me away from the sound of these.

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #411 of 1,181
Poisonous post
biggrin.gif
And you sold your SM3... dang!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
eric,

Yep, I've arrived in the customs world. Quite a different experience for sure. I'm *almost* looking forward to the next time I have to go to Asia, to see just how well they isolate. 

As for percussions (the whole range), well... I haven't heard any other IEM which can even give these a close run for the money. They reach so deep, while being textured and detailed, without bleeding at all into the mids. And since they do mids so well (if you could hear these while you still have access to the EX1000's, you'd hear the Sony mids as thin and sort of washed out believe it or not!!) smaller drum thwacks are very snappy and realistic. I mean all percussion is simply another level above anything else I've heard.

If you get a pair, you'll have to let me know how they stack up against your current quads. I don't think I'll be able to do any other custom sets for a long time. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #412 of 1,181
I have wanted a pair of FS customs for a long time, being a lover of the FS Atrio's.

I wont be able to get one for a while due to funding issues ATM. The question is though, if my music is not lossless and is not even 320kbps MP3, mostly 192 or 256 at the most, will the Customs blow me away or should I just stick to the Atrio's, which are more than capable of revealing everything in the track anyway.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #413 of 1,181
They'll still sound great: that 90% of people have to concentrate on subtle things during listening tests and quite a few can't hear the difference (not to mention most modern recordings not being dynamic or mixed/mastered well enough)... well that's just say I think it's not a big deal. Listening to music on YouTube on my Focal speakers is still better than listening with anything I had before them,  if you see what I mean.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #414 of 1,181

Quote:
I have wanted a pair of FS customs for a long time, being a lover of the FS Atrio's.

I wont be able to get one for a while due to funding issues ATM. The question is though, if my music is not lossless and is not even 320kbps MP3, mostly 192 or 256 at the most, will the Customs blow me away or should I just stick to the Atrio's, which are more than capable of revealing everything in the track anyway.

Every time I go to the Atrios for a day and then come back to the MG6Pro, I am surprised for a moment at how much better the Ear Monitors sound. I think that will hold true regardless of the source.

Just keep in mind that getting the fit right is big when going custom, so work with an audiologist who you can really trust.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #415 of 1,181
Another observation---

The MG6pro's take to amping very, very well. Plugging them into my stationary amp at work, the AMB M^3, they handle that huge power with amazing aplomb. The amp was just way too much for my SM3's, and they didn't show any benefit really, with their drivers crying uncle quite easily. Not so with the FS customs. Feed them more juice and turn up the volume, and the bottom end just gets more and more impressively controlled. My ears give out well before there's any hint of distortion. The drivers just pump out amazing, controlled deep bass without even breaking a sweat. It'll be fun to have my uHA amp back after its loan tour, to continue seeing how different amps affect the sound signature. Also, I can hear bigger stage space, and more detailed instrument layering, super easily with these. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #416 of 1,181
Good to hear. It's super OTT, but I'm thinking Fiio X3, E17 then the L7 adapter/cable to use a 3.5mm line-out and into that little Just Audio amp. When the former two are released, obviously (*hoping the firmware is polished*). Will probably be fine with just the X3 and E17 but I did dearly love that little amp.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #417 of 1,181

Quote:
Every time I go to the Atrios for a day and then come back to the MG6Pro, I am surprised for a moment at how much better the Ear Monitors sound. I think that will hold true regardless of the source.

Just keep in mind that getting the fit right is big when going custom, so work with an audiologist who you can really trust.

Sounds good, thanks! I will keep them on my wish list and get them when I can.

I don't know of any good audiologist in my area but I will ask FS if they can recommend one when the time comes.

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #418 of 1,181
I'm very tempted to get one of these, but I'm between the mg6pro and the UERM(that I found little about). Searching for a flat response and good soundstage, which is a better option?

Sorry, I didn't want to create a new topic.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #419 of 1,181
Heh, so, I leave my current job this Saturday and start my new one Monday. I have a load of company shares which I'm able to sell tax and national insurance free, as well as some more that aren't tax/NI free, and a load that are locked in. I believe as they are employee shares I may be forced to sell, but I might sell them anyway now, because... well, they'd more than pay for some MG6 Pros! May bite the bullet very soon...

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #420 of 1,181
Hey that's a good stroke of luck. Hope you get the chance to pick up a pair. David Gray at FS is a pleasure to deal with... be sure shoot him a few emails in the process. 

One suggestion... if you go for the clear monitor, think twice about getting the matching clear cable. Mine oxidized in a week, turning the part that wraps up around my ears a nice shade of teal blue inside the clear casing. Now I have black instead. Looks fine with the clear shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back