[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Aug 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #346 of 1,181

Quote:
I guess our ears are really quite different. I don't find the EX1000 to be treble-centric at all... In fact I don't find it centric-anywhere and that, to me, is the most relaxed and natural (effortless) IEM I have ever heard.

So that's all cool.

To whom shall I send my EX1000 for custom-tipping? What are the precautions that I should tell them?

Yeah, the Ex1000 objectively has a bump in its frequency response in the lower treble, the chart is somewhere in James444's thread (I believe). Once one's ears adjust, it sounds like that's just how things should sound. Only in comparison with another earphone would you notice how the Ex1000 is tuned. I liked the Ex1000 quite a bit and I think Sony did a great job. I heard the relaxed, effortless sound you did.

In terms of custom tips, I got a pair from 1964 Ears. I was one of the first custom tip customers. The first go 'round them it was poorly made and they replaced it with a better one that didn't quite fit--so they replaced that one with one of a better material which then spilt.... so I ended up getting a refund. Each iteration was better than the last by a big step. I think 1964 Ears takes care of their customers so in the end you'll be happy. Sensaphonics might be able to do it with a full sleeve (a full sleeve is recommended), you should write them. Since you're in the western hemisphere, those are probably your best bets. The others are either far, far away (long, long mail times) or have had customer service issues.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #348 of 1,181
Oh wow that is indeed nice.

First I need to solve the ear-impression problem. How much chance do I have screwing up my impressions if I use a DIY kit (ordered from Alien Ears)? Please understand that local audiologists charge very high prices (none under $100) for impressions.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #349 of 1,181

Quote:
Oh wow that is indeed nice.

First I need to solve the ear-impression problem. How much chance do I have screwing up my impressions if I use a DIY kit (ordered from Alien Ears)? Please understand that local audiologists charge very high prices (none under $100) for impressions.

You'd need a skillful friend to do it, you should use a 1" bit block and relax your jaw as much as possible.

I'd say you still have a pretty reasonable chance of screwing it up.
basshead.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #352 of 1,181

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ If you're based in Quebec, I'm sure you can get ear impressions for less then $75 - $100 if you look around - be patient!  :wink:

That's all cool, bird. Maybe I'll have something done in Montreal next time I go there.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #353 of 1,181

Quote:
Yeah, the Ex1000 objectively has a bump in its frequency response in the lower treble, the chart is somewhere in James444's thread (I believe). Once one's ears adjust, it sounds like that's just how things should sound. Only in comparison with another earphone would you notice how the Ex1000 is tuned. I liked the Ex1000 quite a bit and I think Sony did a great job. I heard the relaxed, effortless sound you did.

In terms of custom tips, I got a pair from 1964 Ears. I was one of the first custom tip customers. The first go 'round them it was poorly made and they replaced it with a better one that didn't quite fit--so they replaced that one with one of a better material which then spilt.... so I ended up getting a refund. Each iteration was better than the last by a big step. I think 1964 Ears takes care of their customers so in the end you'll be happy. Sensaphonics might be able to do it with a full sleeve (a full sleeve is recommended), you should write them. Since you're in the western hemisphere, those are probably your best bets. The others are either far, far away (long, long mail times) or have had customer service issues.

I think maybe this is what I'm experiencing somewhat. I'm reasonably sure I don't have a fit issue now (at least not a glaringly major one), because I do hear probably equal amounts of detail with the MG6Pro compared to the EX1000, it's just a different presentation. I think with the first day's worth of opening up, vocals have become placed very similar to the EX1000, and treble has opened somewhat, so the sound I'm getting is definitely full and nice. And when I intentionally push them in too far I get that cut off tunnel sound, but when I let go and they settle naturally where they want to (or I even pull them out a tad) the sound opens up again. Now whether it's the full amount you've observed in comparison to the EX1000 I can never know, but I can say the mids are much fuller and meatier than with the EX1000. By comparison the mids with the Sony's are rather thin sounding. It's like you notice their bass and treble mostly.

Anyway, before I contact David or Marty with any questions, I still want to spend a bit longer getting more accustomed to them. I did get some good listening sessions in over the vacation, and I'm getting more and more comfortable with them as I go. No more irritation at all in the left ear......

More to come.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #355 of 1,181

Quote:
A thicker midrange is good if it can still pull off great transparency.

Oh, they for sure do it with transparency. Because of the full midrange, and the amount detail of and transparency at the same time, they have more of a connected feeling across the whole frequency range than the EX1000's do. I think I'm getting used to these now, because the EX1000's seem lacking in the mids when I go back to them. 

ksc75smile.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #357 of 1,181
I think they're not quite as airy as the EX1000, but I'm starting to think the EX1000 is a little treble-tipped perhaps. The MG6Pro's have as much detail, but it's not as 'in your face'. And now I'm finding the soundstage at least as big as the EX1000 after the main hurdle with burn in has happened. The MG6Pro's sort of feel more 'connected' across the frequency range, and present music as more organic, natural, and flowing. 

For kicks I just did a quick demo with my Ultrasone Pro 900's, and man there was the recessed vocals everyone's mentioned! It was so unnaturally wayyyyyy back there in comparison to the FS customs. I much prefer the MG6Pro to the Pro 900 (as different of an experience as that may be). 

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #358 of 1,181
Reminds me of the MG7 so it does extend to the MG6pro. Good.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #360 of 1,181

Quote:
Oh, they for sure do it with transparency. Because of the full midrange, and the amount detail of and transparency at the same time, they have more of a connected feeling across the whole frequency range than the EX1000's do. I think I'm getting used to these now, because the EX1000's seem lacking in the mids when I go back to them. 

ksc75smile.gif

I'm surprised that burn-in did this for you! That's amazing, I really didn't notice much change with my set and comparing to a new set of drivers--I mean, they were different and better with burn-in but not as large a change as you've experienced. Huh, well, I'll be dipped in caramel (take forever to get it out of my fur). Based on what you were hearing, I was sure there was a serious fit issue, but you've seem to have come to hear the MG6Pro pretty much as it seems like it sounds to me and the others. Great news. It'll probably open up a bit more as you go. And it sounds like you've got the hang of the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back