[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
Jul 15, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #241 of 1,181

Quote:
@HiFlight, I'm curious: What are the other customs you've owned? I think you mentioned a Westone custom?

Besides the MG6Pro, I currently own the Westone ES3X (balanced) and FreQ FreqShows;  in the past, the Westone UM2 with the UM56 custom insert.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #243 of 1,181

Quote:
I think my post was probably poorly worded.  I didn't mean to imply that my EX800ST was lacking in that ability, but most of the other buds and IEM's that I have owned over the years suffered from a lack of timbral accuracy to a greater or lesser degree.   Of everything I have owned to date, I would rate the EX800 as my favorite universal IEM, of which I have owned many,  and the MG6Pro as my favorite custom IEM, of which I have owned 4. 

Today I received the EX800ST (aka MDR-7550) and it is indeed a mighty fine IEM - best mids I've heard to date (along with the ES3X's).

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #244 of 1,181
The latest reviews of the Merlin (1 custom, 1 demo) are not promising.  The reports of subdued and boring treble are a big turn off.  The guy who tried the demo said it did have more treble than the 1964Q (but that was his friends Q that he shoved in his ear).  Based on that both of those are a big turn off for me.

My only worry with the mg6pro is the treble but I really have no interest in an all BA custom.  I definitely don't want the treble to be hidden like on the SM3.  As much as I loved the Atrio sub bass, I have to imagine it's awesome with these.  It will definitely be this fall/winter before I can get them.  Hopefully there will be another review or impression or two before then.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #245 of 1,181
Issue with highs on the Atrios or Future Sonics? I myself dont think there is any issues. Yep the sub bass is there and so are the meds and highs if not well Having a REAL EQ such as in the Cowon's, I am able to play and raise or lower everything.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #246 of 1,181

Quote:
I definitely don't want the treble to be hidden like on the SM3.  

No, not at all. The whole sound is well balanced, that includes the treble, which is excellent to my ears. It's not recessed at all, it sparkles and has great energy but doesn't add any harshness. Look at how I compare it to the Atrio and mtpc to get a good sense of it (third post from the beginning of the thread).

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #247 of 1,181
I think I'm about to take the plunge on these, but wanted to be sure there's an appreciable gap over the stock Atrios. I emailed David Gray from FS with a couple questions, and to ask what the main differences are between the Atrios and the pro monitors.... and he said it's basically just an extension of the Atrio's house sound (they didn't want to mess with that). Sort of weird and a bit downplayed I think, considering the glowing praise here from Kunlun and HiFlight. If they are HiFlight's favorite custom over several of the other multi-driver offerings, there would indeed be an immense jump in sound over the Atrios. I just want to be sure they really are significantly superior, and not closer to the Atrios (because in owning the EX1000's, the gap over the latest Atrio is large enough that there are aspects to the Atrio sound I find unacceptable now, and I hope the MG6Pro corrects those things too).

In reading over HiFlight's and Kunlun's recent comparisons to the Sony earphones, I think I do get an understanding of the improvements over the EX1000/800, so I do in the end feel pretty confident ordering a pair, and will probably do so very soon so I can enjoy something nice on my upcoming trip to China/Thailand.

Edit:
Kunlun- I'm going back and re-re-re-reading your comparisons on the first page... They're sounding good to me, and like the next logical step up in my earphone journey.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #249 of 1,181

Quote:
I think I'm about to take the plunge on these, but wanted to be sure there's an appreciable gap over the stock Atrios. I emailed David Gray from FS with a couple questions, and to ask what the main differences are between the Atrios and the pro monitors.... and he said it's basically just an extension of the Atrio's house sound (they didn't want to mess with that). Sort of weird and a bit downplayed I think, considering the glowing praise here from Kunlun and HiFlight. If they are HiFlight's favorite custom over several of the other multi-driver offerings, there would indeed be an immense jump in sound over the Atrios. I just want to be sure they really are significantly superior, and not closer to the Atrios (because in owning the EX1000's, the gap over the latest Atrio is large enough that there are aspects to the Atrio sound I find unacceptable now, and I hope the MG6Pro corrects those things too).

In reading over HiFlight's and Kunlun's recent comparisons to the Sony earphones, I think I do get an understanding of the improvements over the EX1000/800, so I do in the end feel pretty confident ordering a pair, and will probably do so very soon so I can enjoy something nice on my upcoming trip to China/Thailand.

Edit:
Kunlun- I'm going back and re-re-re-reading your comparisons on the first page... They're sounding good to me, and like the next logical step up in my earphone journey.

Awesome, look forward to reading your review! Still using the Just Audio amp? That should make for a very nice setup!

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #251 of 1,181

Quote:
Awesome, look forward to reading your review! Still using the Just Audio amp? That should make for a very nice setup!

I am still using the Just Audio amp quite a bit. Mostly at home in the evenings when I have some freelance stuff going on, and I need to concentrate. I mainly use it with my Ultrasone Pro 900's. I continue to be impressed by that amp. Currently it's out on a loan to another HF'er though. I look forward to trying it out with the MG6Pro's once I get them in- I think that will be a very nice sounding setup. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #252 of 1,181

Quote:
Haha, I know the story behind your avatar.  Lol.

Everything about it amuses me.

At first I was like

But then I was like

biggrin.gif

Ah, crackup. Anyway, back to IEMs and stuff.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #255 of 1,181
I'm sure people were doing them the day the article(s) came out. Anyway... er... FutureSonic! Question for Kunlun, you said in the review you get a big discount when upgrading to future models once you become a custom-customer. How much is this exactly? If there's another positive review I may become a loyal customer!

EDIT - LMAO! I need to do that to my avatar now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back