Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Feb 6, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #3,721 of 4,469
Just auditioned them today.

Fantastic IEMs, and goes for a good price for the most part (mark up here in Singapore is close to US$50). The amount of microdetails these things throw at you is hard to keep track when you're not expecting it =O

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #3,722 of 4,469
A bit more on the DBA-02 vs. ER4p. Please note that I was listening unamped out of my portable players, so out of better sources the situation may change completely as one IEM may scale better than the other. I was ABing them last night for six hours and my ears are so sore! lol I couldn't stop listening to them - they are both so amazing, so engaging, so accurate that it's just pure heaven. I haven't had so many eargasms in ages lol So anyway:

Bass: ER4p wins here. DBA-02 has tight, detailed, full and fairly punchy bass that suits all types of music well. I would say the low end on DBA-02 is about on par or better than the best IEMs I've heard, except for the Etys. But the ER4p has absolutely phenomenal bass - it is super tight, super deep and laser sharp. It is the best quality bass I've ever heard in a headphone. It is also adequately punchy and full, but not quite as full as the DBA-02. I listened to some trance and electronic music last night and ER4p was a real pleasure to listen to with these tracks - the bass is jaw dropping. DBA-02 also sounded good with this music, but clearly less defined and boomier. On the other hand, with pop and jazz, the DBA-02 fares much better and it's richer, fuller bass gives it an edge over the ER4p in musicality. However, from a purely technical standpoint, the ER4p is the clear winner in the low end department.

Midrange: It's basically a tie here - in some tracks, I felt that the ER4 sounded better, while in others I preferred the DBA. ER4p mids are simply fantastic with a good fit - full, detailed and accurate. They are clearly dry, but this is not a flaw but a part of the Ety sound signature and makes the sound very clean and to the point so to speak. The mids here remind me a bit of Sennheiser HD25-1s mids although the Etys sound smoother, and more neutral. The timbre is also outstanding on the ER4p and all real instruments and vocals sound very natural and have a great sense of presence and realism.

The mids on DBA-02 are smoother, wetter, more laid back and fuller sounding than on the ER4p. They are still superbly detailed, but the detail doesn't quite jump out at you like it does with the ER4p. Timbre is also extremely accurate here and maybe even more accurate than on the Etys. With some instrumental tracks last night, the DBA-02 sounded astonishingly natural - real instruments have a very realistic weight to them and are portrayed with pristine clarity and definition. The clarity in the midrange is better on the DBA-02 than on ER4p and this often allows some instruments to have an even greater sense of presence than on the ER4p. The mids on DBA-02 also have a very unique quality that I haven't experienced in any other headphone yet - air within instruments. Typically airy sound is understood as a good sense of space between instruments, but with the DBA-02, there is also air withing each individual sound within instruments. It's as though the midrange is soaked in air, if that makes any sense. This creates a very refreshing sound - like taking a deep breath of fresh air on a cool spring morning in the countryside. lol It also makes the sound very light and effortless.

Treble: DBA-02 wins here. The Etys are of course famous for their excellent upper range and for a good reason. The highs are indeed very well extended, refined and detailed in comparison to most other headphone out there in that price range, or even more expensive ones. However, compared to DBA-02, they clearly lack detial and clarity. DBA-02 sounds bright (but not overly so), extremely detialed and lively up here. Really, the detail that the DBAs put out in the highs is unbelievable. This is easily the best treble I've heard in an IEM - every single cymbal crash is clear and distinct from the rest of the music while the upper end of instruments and vocals sound effortlessly natural and beautiful. Listening to nice female vocals through the DBA-02 is pure eargasm - the voices sound so light and airy, it's almost heavenly. The ER4p sounds dim, a bit dull and muddy in the highs by comparison. Switching from DBA-02 to ER4p makes it sound suffocantingly airless by comparison, although after a few minutes my ears adjust and they sound just fine again. On the other hand, switching from ER4p to DBA, can make the latter sound a little too bright at first, but after a few minutes my ears adjust once again. It's interesting that extension in the treble is actually better on the ER4, but the quality is clearly superior on the DBA-02 and thus DBAs end up sounding more open and natural as a result.

Soundstage: DBA-02 does this better in my opinion, although it may be a matter of preference. Many people consider Etys to have a narrow, in the head soundstage, but I disagree. I think they image and space out instruments extremely well. In fact, soundstage width/stereo separation is amazing on the ER4p, especially for a single driver BA based IEM - better than on pretty puch any other IEM I've heard and easily rivals that of many full sized cans! Depth, on the other hand, is a bit lacking on the ER4p. With amping, this may change though. Vertical staging is also surpirisingly good on the Etys and overall I would describe the soundstage of the ER4p as very large for an IEM and fairly dimensional, but with some lack of depth.

DBA-02 has a narrower soundstage, but significantly better depth and dimensionality. The height of the sound image is really impressive here. Combined with the full sounding bass and mids, I get an impression of listening to really good full sized headphones with the DBA-02, something that ER4p can't quite provide. ER4p also has a great soundstage, but it is different from that of full sized headphones. I think ER4p has a more realistic stereo separation, showing what is there on the recording and source, while DBA-02 sounds a bit more artificial, but not in a bad way, providing a better sense of dimensionality in exchange for a bit of accuracy.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #3,723 of 4,469
I find the 4p a bit too etched at the very top though I think it a great IEM overall. Is the DBA as etched or just more amplitude. I get the air stuff as I think the ETs could have a bit more texture on top but it's picking nits as they've got a fine set of trade offs. What are you using for a DAP and file type?

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #3,727 of 4,469

Excellent job, Pianist !!
with a laser review like this, i am already regretting selling my dba2 today....
there must have been alot of wax in my ears..lol.
DBA2 is definitely one of the more delightful armature iems around, big bang for the $$. 
NOBODY sells his dba2 k....NOBODY from now on!!
beerchug.gif
Quote:

A bit more on the DBA-02 vs. ER4p. Please note that I was listening unamped out of my portable players, so out of better sources the situation may change completely as one IEM may scale better than the other. I was ABing them last night for six hours and my ears are so sore! lol I couldn't stop listening to them - they are both so amazing, so engaging, so accurate that it's just pure heaven. I haven't had so many eargasms in ages lol So anyway:

Bass: ER4p wins here. DBA-02 has tight, detailed, full and fairly punchy bass that suits all types of music well. I would say the low end on DBA-02 is about on par or better than the best IEMs I've heard, except for the Etys. But the ER4p has absolutely phenomenal bass - it is super tight, super deep and laser sharp. It is the best quality bass I've ever heard in a headphone. It is also adequately punchy and full, but not quite as full as the DBA-02. I listened to some trance and electronic music last night and ER4p was a real pleasure to listen to with these tracks - the bass is jaw dropping. DBA-02 also sounded good with this music, but clearly less defined and boomier. On the other hand, with pop and jazz, the DBA-02 fares much better and it's richer, fuller bass gives it an edge over the ER4p in musicality. However, from a purely technical standpoint, the ER4p is the clear winner in the low end department.

Midrange: It's basically a tie here - in some tracks, I felt that the ER4 sounded better, while in others I preferred the DBA. ER4p mids are simply fantastic with a good fit - full, detailed and accurate. They are clearly dry, but this is not a flaw but a part of the Ety sound signature and makes the sound very clean and to the point so to speak. The mids here remind me a bit of Sennheiser HD25-1s mids although the Etys sound smoother, and more neutral. The timbre is also outstanding on the ER4p and all real instruments and vocals sound very natural and have a great sense of presence and realism.

The mids on DBA-02 are smoother, wetter, more laid back and fuller sounding than on the ER4p. They are still superbly detailed, but the detail doesn't quite jump out at you like it does with the ER4p. Timbre is also extremely accurate here and maybe even more accurate than on the Etys. With some instrumental tracks last night, the DBA-02 sounded astonishingly natural - real instruments have a very realistic weight to them and are portrayed with pristine clarity and definition. The clarity in the midrange is better on the DBA-02 than on ER4p and this often allows some instruments to have an even greater sense of presence than on the ER4p. The mids on DBA-02 also have a very unique quality that I haven't experienced in any other headphone yet - air within instruments. Typically airy sound is understood as a good sense of space between instruments, but with the DBA-02, there is also air withing each individual sound within instruments. It's as though the midrange is soaked in air, if that makes any sense. This creates a very refreshing sound - like taking a deep breath of fresh air on a cool spring morning in the countryside. lol It also makes the sound very light and effortless.

Treble: DBA-02 wins here. The Etys are of course famous for their excellent upper range and for a good reason. The highs are indeed very well extended, refined and detailed in comparison to most other headphone out there in that price range, or even more expensive ones. However, compared to DBA-02, they clearly lack detial and clarity. DBA-02 sounds bright (but not overly so), extremely detialed and lively up here. Really, the detail that the DBAs put out in the highs is unbelievable. This is easily the best treble I've heard in an IEM - every single cymbal crash is clear and distinct from the rest of the music while the upper end of instruments and vocals sound effortlessly natural and beautiful. Listening to nice female vocals through the DBA-02 is pure eargasm - the voices sound so light and airy, it's almost heavenly. The ER4p sounds dim, a bit dull and muddy in the highs by comparison. Switching from DBA-02 to ER4p makes it sound suffocantingly airless by comparison, although after a few minutes my ears adjust and they sound just fine again. On the other hand, switching from ER4p to DBA, can make the latter sound a little too bright at first, but after a few minutes my ears adjust once again. It's interesting that extension in the treble is actually better on the ER4, but the quality is clearly superior on the DBA-02 and thus DBAs end up sounding more open and natural as a result.

Soundstage: DBA-02 does this better in my opinion, although it may be a matter of preference. Many people consider Etys to have a narrow, in the head soundstage, but I disagree. I think they image and space out instruments extremely well. In fact, soundstage width/stereo separation is amazing on the ER4p, especially for a single driver BA based IEM - better than on pretty puch any other IEM I've heard and easily rivals that of many full sized cans! Depth, on the other hand, is a bit lacking on the ER4p. With amping, this may change though. Vertical staging is also surpirisingly good on the Etys and overall I would describe the soundstage of the ER4p as very large for an IEM and fairly dimensional, but with some lack of depth.

DBA-02 has a narrower soundstage, but significantly better depth and dimensionality. The height of the sound image is really impressive here. Combined with the full sounding bass and mids, I get an impression of listening to really good full sized headphones with the DBA-02, something that ER4p can't quite provide. ER4p also has a great soundstage, but it is different from that of full sized headphones. I think ER4p has a more realistic stereo separation, showing what is there on the recording and source, while DBA-02 sounds a bit more artificial, but not in a bad way, providing a better sense of dimensionality in exchange for a bit of accuracy.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3,728 of 4,469
I had the ER4p and now have the DBA-02.  ER4p bass, to my ears, was very lacking with the grey foam tips compared to the DBA-02 with comply P's.  As a all around performer, DBA-02 is both better sounding and cheaper to boot.

Quote:

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #3,729 of 4,469
At the moment, I'm listening to Thunderball's "12 Mile High" .. iPhone 3GS >> {HQ LOD} HeadStage Arrow 3G HE >> DBA-002 = EARGASM.

I've found the DBAs make a more significant improvement when amped vs the 003 when amped.. or at least it's easier to hear the difference.  Both definitely take it up a notch when fed the right amount /quality of power.. but the DBA's simply HOWL with pleasure when amped well.

Soundstage improves a fair amount in all directions.. but the degree to which the sound gets crisper, more detailed, and gains depth definition when amped is astonishing.  You'll never know what the DBAs are capable of in the mids & treble unless you amp them.  I'll say it again.. they get so crisp and come alive with so much power.. every cymbal crash makes you feel like you're going to crack the housing !!!

Pianist did a great job describing what I find to be a very addicting, unique quality of the DBA : the mesmerizing midrange.  Describing the mids as "soaked in air" sounds odd but it's actually a very good way to put it.. the excellent timbre coupled with the air and space around instruments in the midrange is just hypnotizing.. it feels like everything is suspended in space, if you will.. almost floating because the midrange is so well rounded, authoritative, and accurate.  If you listen to the DBAs un-amped vs amped.. it makes this this peculiar quality very apparent.. you will be able to tell right off the bat.

As I've said before, the DBA are fantastic unamped, but to shine.. you must ABSOLUTELY amp them properly.. you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't.  And on that note, the Headstage amp pairs sinfully well with them... especially the tight, well implemented bass boost (if you're so inclined to use it).  I don't actually use the bass bost cause the Arrow bring out the perfect amount of bass quantity, extension, and impact with all the settings off (crossfeed turned to 1 though).

When I'm home, I simply refuse to listen to the DBA any other way.

Lorspeaker.. I can't believe you sold your DBAs.. you're crazy! LOL.

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #3,730 of 4,469
I've sold my DBA-02 in preference of the Etymotic ER-4P. My quest is now over. The reason I did is following:

Fit, after a while the DBA-02 started to hurt. There was a very small margin by inserting them that they sounded the way they should. If I moved my head the good fit was gone already. Had to refit them over and over again. If the proper fit was gone, well, there was no bass at all anymore.

Sibilance, if the fit was OK they were good but not fantastic. The bass was OK after EQ-ing, same thing I have to do with the ER-4P but then I get great bass on the ER-4P's. Mids, not much to complaint. Don't hear a difference with the ER-4P's. High tones, sibilance and a lot of it. Could not stand this and had to EQ the highs down and lost detail because of it.

Now they are gone and I'm sure the new owner will like them as the most of you do. For me my quest is over with the ER-4P.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #3,731 of 4,469
Just to let others know that zococity.es have these and do sell them to mainland europe(their website says Iberia only), I have got them from them and I'm in Ireland.
http://www.zococity.es/product/233/0/0/1/1/Fischer-Audio-DBA-02.htm

It's probably worthwhile using google translate just to help if your Spanish isn't the best. The order precedure is a little complex when I ordered as I had to pay via the 'Seur' delivery method (€8) and pay an additional €4 via paypal. From the email I received, here are the details:

1. Shipping to Ireland would be 12 euros with Fedex and its a fixed price. That means that no matter how many things you order it will be 12 euros. To make your order and get it shipped to Ireland just enter in our site (www.zococity.es), select the product/s and while processing put a spanish post code and city (for example, Valencia 46020), select shipping through 'Seur' (which costs 8 euros) and payment with credit card or Paypal. Afterwards, send me an email telling me your real adress and send the the 4 euros missing of the shipping to our Paypal account info@zococity.com.

When entering in customer details here is what I used for signing up to this page http://www.zococity.es/customer_data.aspx

Email: your email address
Cliente: Particular
Nombre: Your First Name
Apellidos Empressa: Your Surname
NIF/CIF: 000000
Direccion: Irish Street Address
C.P.: 46020
Localidad: IRELAND
Pais: Espana
Provincia: Valencia
Telefono: Irish phone number
Telefono Movil:

It's probably worthwhile contacting them directly and see if the above procedure still is correct or if there is other methods of payment. Also there might be different shipping costs to other countries so best contact them above to clarify.

I haven't been able to reach a full judgement on them as I've an ear infection but in my one good ear they surpass my re0 with less microphonics than them and have very good isolation better than my shure olive tips on my se110. They are a bit awkward to get into that sound sweet spot of the ear and stay there but I haven't tried all the different tips included to see which works best for me, failing that I will try some of the tips mentioned here.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #3,732 of 4,469
Ok, I did some more AB'ing yesterday between the DBA-02 and ER4p. Whoever says the bass on the Etys is lacking must be crazy! To my ears, it's insanely deep and powerful - listening to trance music is a blast with these! Also the mids on ER4p are absolutely superb - as good if not better than on Shure SE530 and RE262, but with a different presentation. They are dryer and flatter with less coloration than the Shures or Hifiman, but man - the timbre is insanely accurate! Everything just sounds so freakin right through the Etys, but especially the voices - I can't help but sing along because the voice sounds so present and realistic!
biggrin.gif
Now, the DBA-02 also impresses with their mids and the mids here are every bit as good as on SE530 or RE262, or the Etys as well. I am also totally addicted to the wonderful treble sparkle that the DBAs have. Oh, I am such a happy man right now with the Etys and DBAs in my possession!
biggrin.gif
Either of these two IEMs is all I will ever need for audio bliss, although if I was only forced to keep one for some reason, it would be the Etys, because IMO they do treble better than DBA does bass. 

Quote:
dutchguy2 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've sold my DBA-02 in preference of the Etymotic ER-4P. My quest is now over. The reason I did is following:

Fit, after a while the DBA-02 started to hurt. There was a very small margin by inserting them that they sounded the way they should. If I moved my head the good fit was gone already. Had to refit them over and over again. If the proper fit was gone, well, there was no bass at all anymore.

Sibilance, if the fit was OK they were good but not fantastic. The bass was OK after EQ-ing, same thing I have to do with the ER-4P but then I get great bass on the ER-4P's. Mids, not much to complaint. Don't hear a difference with the ER-4P's. High tones, sibilance and a lot of it. Could not stand this and had to EQ the highs down and lost detail because of it.

Now they are gone and I'm sure the new owner will like them as the most of you do. For me my quest is over with the ER-4P.

Well, congrats. If I was to keep only one IEM, it would also be the ER4, because it is indeed true that DBA-02 is not better than the Etys and it comes down to which IEM's flaws you can tolerate more. I personally would rather give up a bit of treble detail than give up some bass definition, but it's just a matter of preference. And not that DBAs have bad bass - they have great bass! But with IEMs of this level of sound quality, every little extra bit of accuracy matters and even if the DBA-02 comes really close to the Etys in bass, it's not quite up there it that's what matters.

Quote:
MasZakrY said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the ER4p and now have the DBA-02.  ER4p bass, to my ears, was very lacking with the grey foam tips compared to the DBA-02 with comply P's.  As a all around performer, DBA-02 is both better sounding and cheaper to boot.

Quote:
Pianist said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I knew this was coming! lol Yes, I know I am in the minority, but I stand firmly in my belief that the bass on ER4 is the best bass of any universal and maybe even most customs. Yes, it doesn't have much impact, but once you get used to it, you will notice and appreciate its incredible quality. It hits really, really dip and is ultra tight and refined and that's what really matters. In most cases, for people with normal hearing impact is just a matter of preference - crave for it is just a habit - and if you put some effort into it, you can break that habit.

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #3,733 of 4,469
Got those today (finally!) from GD Audiobase. The mids are really good, the best I've heard in my limited experiences besides the UM3X. The bass is decently detailed and has enough quantity, good and does not distract from the music. The high on the other end bothers me. I haven't read a whole lot of complains in this department but the thing is really sibilant with the small black tip that I'm using (best fit for me, will try the foam tip suggested later when I figure out which model I need to get, don't know if that will improve things or not). Sibilance has never bothered me in the past (and I've owned TF10 and Westone 3, 2 phones with a lot of sibilance complains) but this pair of DBA just has the sharpest high I've ever heard. Does anybody else have the same experience?

Overall the phone is great if I ignore the sibilance and the constant hiss on older tracks. Very coherent, very good soundstage, very good mids. I just wish there's a way to get rid of the sibilance.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #3,734 of 4,469
The DBAs are extremely transparent. I am now using the Archos 70 8GB as a source and I am now able to listen to the highs with all its glory. Try changing your source if you find it offensively sibilant or lacking in bass. And it musr be repeated all over again, play with the fit to be amazed with the bass!

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #3,735 of 4,469

i finally got mine in today too!

first impression were the mids and bass. the only analytical experience ive had is the RE0 and Etymotic MC5 and these easily beat those two out altogether. the only thing that i noticed right away was that the highs on the DBA's aren't as crisp and extended as the RE0. they are still very bright and clear however. i did an A/B comparison after about 45 minutes with these and the RE0 and i was very surprised at how much more balanced the DBA's are compared to the RE0. these IEM's really are pretty amazing.

second impression...right now im currently using a Rockboxed Fuze with an E5 amp and the settings are pretty neutral for the most part with no EQ, 100% Stereo width and the bass/treble up 1 notch. this setting works well with my RE0, Miles Davis and regular Turbines well with no distortion at max volume if i need it. however, the bass on the DBA's distort pretty easily when i play most HipHop tracks and when the volume is about past 80-85%...with that said, theyre still pretty loud at lower volume settings and i have the Miles Davis IEM's specifically for HipHop anyway. the DBA's are def more suitable for my Rock, Techno and Latin music than the Tributes.

last impression...i took Shanes advice right away and used some trimmed P-400 Comply's and they really do sound as amazing as he described. one issue though, with the DBA's inserted so deep, and i believe that its necessary for such a deep fit for the best sound, is that they start to get uncomfortable after about an hour of continuous listening. i took them off for about 5 minutes and tried again and that helped for another 30 minutes or so.

someone just posted about sibilance. i havent experienced any except for maybe one song i listened to, maybe Linkin Park?...not sure. but yeah, sibilance hasnt been an issue for me so far.

btw, i love these iems already despite the discomfort ive experienced with them. to me they are a perfect compliment with my Miles Davis Tributes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back