Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Feb 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #3,691 of 4,469
Quote:
Demonic_Pope said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just use the smallest stock tips and push it in as far as it can go. And then, perfect seal. Weird thing is that I couldn't get a good fit with the smallest tips when I first tried it, which was why I got the Comply TX-100, which sounds good but now that I somehow got the smallest silicon tips to fit, the soundstage is noticeably wider and airier. FYI, I use the largest Sony hybrids while I was on the RE0, but since the DBA is deep insertion I had to use the smallest stock tips.

Interesting, I used medium to large on the RE0s as well. I will have to try out the small tips.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #3,692 of 4,469
Guys, I just got DBA-02 in a temporary trade with a local head-fi'er. They are AMAZING! MY GOD!! I never thought a dual driver BA could sound this good! More impressions to follow, but for now all I can say is that these are pretty much perfectly balanced throughout the spectrum. With the right fit, nothing sticks out and nothing is recessed. Soundstage and imaging are amazing for a dual driver BA - music sounds so holographic, it's almost like I am listening to top-tier full sized cans. Separation is jaw dropping - I can hear sounds I never heard before in songs I listened to a million times already through many great headphones. Detail is also really great. Timbre is very accurate. Bass is very tight like on Etymotic, but with more punch and so doesn't sound boring at all to me. Mids and highs blend together perfectly. Ergonomics are amazing - cable is super soft and so almost no microphonics are produced. Isolation is fantastic with triple flanges. IEM housings are very light and look nice to boot. So far, I like these better than any other IEM I ever tried except SE530. They beat SM3 in soundstage and separation.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #3,694 of 4,469
Quote:
Kind of saw this coming..Not the fact that I knew about the trade but the fact that you'll like them. 

lol I also knew I was going to like them, since I love my FA-003 and from what I read, the DBAs also have that Fischer Audio signature. But I never thought I would like them this much. They actually sounds a good deal better to my ears than FA-003 (when both are unamped). BTW, I also just received Etymotic ER4 p/s today, which I always wanted to try, so I am comparing the two right now. I think both the ER4 and DBA-02 are probably the two second best IEMs I've heard behind the SE530. Not as impressive as the Shures to my ears, but the DBA-02 comes closer and closer as I find tips that fit my ears better. The Etys have a different sound than the DBA - more hmm.... serious. I am surprised the Etys are mid centric. From most impressions I read online, I always got the impression that they are tipped towards treble, but not to my ears. They are mid centric, much like SE530, but the treble is better extended. They are also dry, fast, have extremely good stereo separation and that famous Ety tight bass with little impact, but otherwise perfectly adequate presence to my ears. The DBAs sound narrower, but more holographic with more realistic imaging. DBAs are also a bit smoother, have a bit more punch in the bass with perhaps a hair less extension, have better detail in the treble in my opinion, but a bit less in the mids. So far they are almost neck to neck for me. I feel that both will benefit greatly from better amps and sources. But the DBAs are definitely the more fun sounding IEM for unamped portable use. The ergonomics on the Etys are horrible by comparison, which is really too bad because they are such great sounding IEMs in their own right.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #3,695 of 4,469
Comply Ps are great with these from what I've read here and probably really comfortable. These are very tip dependent, so have fun with that. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #3,696 of 4,469
I vouch for the P series Complies. I lost the nice treble and highs the DBA-02s had after I wore in the triple flanges they came with. The P series brought all that back and kept the bass tight and impactful.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #3,697 of 4,469

Quote:
lol I also knew I was going to like them, since I love my FA-003 and from what I read, the DBAs also have that Fischer Audio signature. But I never thought I would like them this much. They actually sounds a good deal better to my ears than FA-003 (when both are unamped). BTW, I also just received Etymotic ER4 p/s today, which I always wanted to try, so I am comparing the two right now. I think both the ER4 and DBA-02 are probably the two second best IEMs I've heard behind the SE530. Not as impressive as the Shures to my ears, but the DBA-02 comes closer and closer as I find tips that fit my ears better. The Etys have a different sound than the DBA - more hmm.... serious. I am surprised the Etys are mid centric. From most impressions I read online, I always got the impression that they are tipped towards treble, but not to my ears. They are mid centric, much like SE530, but the treble is better extended. They are also dry, fast, have extremely good stereo separation and that famous Ety tight bass with little impact, but otherwise perfectly adequate presence to my ears. The DBAs sound narrower, but more holographic with more realistic imaging. DBAs are also a bit smoother, have a bit more punch in the bass with perhaps a hair less extension, have better detail in the treble in my opinion, but a bit less in the mids. So far they are almost neck to neck for me. I feel that both will benefit greatly from better amps and sources. But the DBAs are definitely the more fun sounding IEM for unamped portable use. The ergonomics on the Etys are horrible by comparison, which is really too bad because they are such great sounding IEMs in their own right.

Welcome.
Yes, they are amazing, and yes, they trump the SM3 in "soundstage and separation", but in other ways  as well.
I've never owned the SE530, but I think the DBA-02 is superior to the SE535 in several ways:
1) the upper end is more clear, clean and extended. (as you said)
2) the bass is more extended and has more weight. (could be attributed to fit as the SE535 were ergonomically difficult)
3) the mids are not as pronounced (sort of an effect of #'s 1 & 2), and so less 'tubey or nasal'.
4) greater transparency, clarity and speed (also as you said).

Glad you got a chance to try them out! Enjoy.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #3,698 of 4,469

Quote:
I vouch for the P series Complies. I lost the nice treble and highs the DBA-02s had after I wore in the triple flanges they came with. The P series brought all that back and kept the bass tight and impactful.

Indeed.
P-series is what I use 99.999% of the time with these. They are perfect for my ears for seal and insertion depth (a manditory ability).
I use the kwkarth method of trimming the overhang flat to the core for eliminating the reduction of the upper registers.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #3,699 of 4,469
I'm also not surprised that Pianist likes them considering how much he liked the RE0. Also Fischer Audio doesn't really have a signature imo. They have different signatures for different sounds hence the DBA-02 and something like the Eterna. He should have gotten them months ago :p

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #3,700 of 4,469
Better late than never and at least he now knows the RE262s and Ortofons won't be for him because it's tempting otherwise.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #3,701 of 4,469
He could always get the CK10 :)

I think I was one of the earlier members to have the DBA-02 and they definitely are a staggering value although their products do need to have great value. They are not a well known company and small companies typically need to have the bang for the buck factor or people would just rather buy a big name company for the same value.

The only thing I didn't like about the DBA-02 was the bass extension and the cable was a bit annoying.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #3,702 of 4,469

Quote:
I just use the smallest stock tips and push it in as far as it can go. And then, perfect seal. Weird thing is that I couldn't get a good fit with the smallest tips when I first tried it, which was why I got the Comply TX-100, which sounds good but now that I somehow got the smallest silicon tips to fit, the soundstage is noticeably wider and airier. FYI, I use the largest Sony hybrids while I was on the RE0, but since the DBA is deep insertion I had to use the smallest stock tips.

Same and exact experience with me here with regards to the RE0 and DBA's. With the DBA, i used the small black tips and insert them really deep, that will really bring out the bass and open up the soundstage. In contrasting manner, I use a larger tip with the RE0 to seal my outer ear since it's impossible to get a deep insertion with the REOs due to their larger housing

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #3,703 of 4,469
YOU GUYS MAKE ME MISS MY DBAs D:

thoroughly enjoying my SM3. And my ER4P.

but.. sometimes i feel that the SM3s are too thick.. and ER4P too thin..

DBAs would be a welcome addition i guess. XD

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #3,704 of 4,469
Quote:
YOU GUYS MAKE ME MISS MY DBAs D:

thoroughly enjoying my SM3. And my ER4P.

but.. sometimes i feel that the SM3s are too thick.. and ER4P too thin..

DBAs would be a welcome addition i guess. XD

No! Make sure you are getting a good fit. It is absolutely crucial with the Etymotics to get the full sound they are capable of reproducing. With a good fit using tri flanges, I feel that the Etys sound full and rich in the lows and the rest of the spectrum. Dynamics are also surprisingly great for a single BA. Honestly, I think that with a good source and amp the ER4 and the DBA-02 will easily outperform the SM3. But especially the Etys.

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #3,705 of 4,469
Agree 100%, small companies are usually the ones providing more value for your money (based on experience outside of head-fi). I also completely agree about the flaws of the DBA02 though it seemed too treble focused when I tried it but I think it was due to the fit and not having enough time with them. Pianist, CK10s should be on your radar now, I highly recommend them even though it's not 100% my signature of preference. Those Etys are classics, performing the way they do for a single BA is outstanding. 
He could always get the CK10 :)

I think I was one of the earlier members to have the DBA-02 and they definitely are a staggering value although their products do need to have great value. They are not a well known company and small companies typically need to have the bang for the buck factor or people would just rather buy a big name company for the same value.

The only thing I didn't like about the DBA-02 was the bass extension and the cable was a bit annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back