Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Oct 11, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #2,731 of 4,469
I have a pair with four months of heavy use (probably 300-500 hours) and a new pair from Ethan's most recent shipment. If there's a difference, the old ones are ever so slightly brighter and/or more efficient, which could be due to different resistance in the new (MEElec) cable on the later ones. And I find that sound (from both pairs) delightful.
Quote:
nah, BA's generally don't burn in.  its more your brain adjusting to that type of noise it makes.  like now, if you go to any "bass moderate" or "bass heavy" iem, you'll notice change in sound

I agree. When I go back to the NE-7M's that I really enjoyed for many months, they now sound too bassy, overly smooth and lacking in treble, but they do have an interesting presentation. I miss the balance, clarity, subtlety and detail that are the joys from the DBA's for me. I hear the IEM's (their coloration) with the NuForce. I only hear the music, and now feel that I hear all of it with DBA's.

One of the important revelations for me from such a comparison is how well joker, ClieOS, HeadphoneAddict and other experienced reviewers around head-fi are able to hear the differences between IEM's and describe (and compare) them so appropriately.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2,732 of 4,469
Just want to share what I did to the strain relief of my DBA-02. Many times I use my phones when I do some walking and hold my MP3 player by hand with the cord dangling around and I think this causes too much stress on the cord. I was worried that there might be breakage at the junction where the strain relief ends and so I came up with a solution. It's quite simple actually. I just inserted a spring wire (which I got from an old ballpen) and this will now provide additional protection to the cord, especially at the junction. I think it really works and it doesnt cause any problems in terms of ergonomics. 

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #2,734 of 4,469

Quote:
I have a pair with four months of heavy use (probably 300-500 hours) and a new pair from Ethan's most recent shipment. If there's a difference, the old ones are ever so slightly brighter and/or more efficient, which could be due to different resistance in the new (MEElec) cable on the later ones. And I find that sound (from both pairs) delightful.
I agree. When I go back to the NE-7M's that I really enjoyed for many months, they now sound too bassy, overly smooth and lacking in treble, but they do have an interesting presentation. I miss the balance, clarity, subtlety and detail that are the joys from the DBA's for me. I hear the IEM's (their coloration) with the NuForce. I only hear the music, and now feel that I hear all of it with DBA's.

One of the important revelations for me from such a comparison is how well joker, ClieOS, HeadphoneAddict and other experienced reviewers around head-fi are able to hear the differences between IEM's and describe (and compare) them so appropriately.

I think you're doing a good job hearing the differences too.  Moving from the DBA-02 to the NE-7M hits you in almost the same way as moving from a Grado RS-1 to a Sennheiser HD650.  It's a definite contrast.  And more interesting is how you could spend the whole day listening to the NE-7M and become accustomed to the sound, and by the end of the day not feel like they are missing a whole lot, until you switch earphones again.  Then the jump in detail and air and space hit you again.  

I must have missed why you have two DBA-02, but it would interesting to see if the new ones start to sound like the old ones over time and with burn-in.

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #2,735 of 4,469
Hi, does anyone know if the filters are sold / supplied separately?

I've started to notice an imbalance in the right earpiece, so I PM'd Ethan, and he thought they were probably from the first batch (which had filter issues?) He suggested poking holes (gently!) into the filter to see if the balance comes back. If it doesn't, he said he'd send out a replacement pair. But I'm not happy about poking holes in anything. I'd rather just get the updated filters from the newer batches, Anyway, I asked Ethan last week whether he could send some newer filters (if they exist as a separate accessory) but he hasn't replied yet. So, anyone know?
smile_phones.gif

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #2,736 of 4,469
Oh the first batch doesn't have issue with the filter, but how it is mounted on the IEM, which is close to the top and might get into contact with earwax. The second batch onward the filter is mounted on the inside which reduces the chance of earwax contact, though I would imagine it will also make it harder to fix if earwax did in fact get into the nozzle. FA should definitely consider on replaceable filter in the future. AFAIK, there is no filter sold separately atm.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #2,737 of 4,469

Quote:
Oh the first batch doesn't have issue with the filter, but how it is mounted on the IEM, which is close to the top and might get into contact with earwax. The second batch onward the filter is mounted on the inside which reduces the chance of earwax contact, though I would imagine it will also make it harder to fix if earwax did in fact get into the nozzle. FA should definitely consider on replaceable filter in the future. AFAIK, there is no filter sold separately atm.

I have one of the first original 20 DBA-02's and I haven't had any problem with earwax getting into the driver. I just keep my ears clean.
wink_face.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #2,738 of 4,469
Quote:
I have one of the first original 20 DBA-02's and I haven't had any problem with earwax getting into the driver. I just keep my ears clean.
wink_face.gif

You and me both
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #2,740 of 4,469

Quote:
Great idea there! Reminds me of the m50
How did you get the spring in? Force it over the jack?

Just open one end of the wire spring slightly enough to slip in the cord then slowly rotate the spring until the cord is fully in. Then press the distal end of the spring towards the strain relief to lock it in place. It's supposed to fit in snugly

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #2,741 of 4,469

Quote:
I hope someone can review the DBAs against the ES5s
biggrin.gif

Quote:
What would be the point of that

I'm just curious how will it stack up with the top guns
biggrin.gif

Quote:
HeadphoneAddict said:

No point at all.

^Waiting for your full review (ES5).

On a side note, Barenaked Ladies' Maroon and Stunt albums definitely showcase the DBAs ability to present deep and tuneful bass. Awesome!

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #2,742 of 4,469
Quote:

I must have missed why you have two DBA-02, but it would interesting to see if the new ones start to sound like the old ones over time and with burn-in.

The second set were ordered as spares since I like the DBA SQ so much, and its a long time between batches arriving. Then I decided to recable the second set with a mic/remote cable from MEElec (already had M9P's), so they now have the same functionality that I like about the NE-7M's.

The differences between the two sets at this point are extremely subtle, and could be ascribed to burn-in, cable resistance differences or filter affects. My old ones have outward mounted paper or cloth filters, one of which is missing, while the new ones are metal filters farther down the nozzles.

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #2,743 of 4,469

Quote:
LFF said:

wink_face.gif

So do I. Too clean. That's why I used to get repeat ear infections, because I was cleaning away the natural layer of wax that's supposed to stay put to prevent bacteria from entering the ear. It's not an earwax issue. I used the cleaning tool and there's not even a filter in the left earpiece. Poking holes in the right filter didn't seem to help, so I'm going to send them back for a replacement.

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #2,744 of 4,469
Ingenius! I just took apart a clicky pen and put on one. Simple! Thanks!

Quote:
Just want to share what I did to the strain relief of my DBA-02. Many times I use my phones when I do some walking and hold my MP3 player by hand with the cord dangling around and I think this causes too much stress on the cord. I was worried that there might be breakage at the junction where the strain relief ends and so I came up with a solution. It's quite simple actually. I just inserted a spring wire (which I got from an old ballpen) and this will now provide additional protection to the cord, especially at the junction. I think it really works and it doesnt cause any problems in terms of ergonomics. 

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #2,745 of 4,469
that's actually not why you get ear infections.  but w/e.

yeah, if you get an imbalance, its normally the phone.  not the filters.  it takes a lot of ear wax to plug it up.  like, unhealthy amounts.  haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back