Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 10, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #2,266 of 4,469

Quote:
Guys....most violins are recorded rather thin, with a lot of the bass range chopped off and a lot of the high end chopped off as well.

Here is a good recording of a violin that has been properly mastered.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ulcgyp

This is very true which is why my classical collection is not as extensive as I'd like it.  Poor mastering.  Exactly the reason I sometimes used a colored phone like my MDs to fix things and bring them to life.  After all, Noel Lee said they were made to bring out the best of older, poorly mastered Jazz recordings.  With both the MD and DBA I feel like I have every base covered I could ever want with an IEM. 

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #2,267 of 4,469

Quote:
Guys....most violins are recorded rather thin, with a lot of the bass range chopped off and a lot of the high end chopped off as well.

Here is a good recording of a violin that has been properly mastered.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ulcgyp

Gosh you're right! These sound more natural than most of the recordings I have.

Quote:
I've done this before to my OK1 buds.  While it is useful, there are trade-offs too.  Looking at the frequency response of the earphone, it simply isn't emphasized.  There isn't a massive treble peak here or anything.  It is simply that the high end driver is quite dynamic.  I'm beginning to suspect the low end is more of an issue of the unit being very light.  The bass fills out and gains energy when the earphone is more constrained.  This is a very light earphone and there is noticeable vibration playing low frequency notes.  This unfortunately is lost energy, and it seems to have a sizable effect on the end presentation.  These earphones need to be heavier to counter the issue or possibly run a tip that more rigidly holds the earphone in the ear.  I think most of the dual bass driver units are mirrored setups that cancel out each other's motion.  This is why you don't feel bass vibration from earphones like the SE530 or Westone 3.  For a single driver unit, it can't be canceled out.  The earphone mass and ear tip attachment are the only methods to constrain motion and keep the energy in the output sound.

You may be right. I noticed something similar with the re0s. With the black tips and the re0 slightly loose (but with a good seal) in my ear, the bass seems lighter as compared to if I used the big bi flanges such that the large flange is snugly pressing against my outer ear and the driver is held more firmly in my ear. There was more rumble in the bass with a firm fit. I was guessing that it may be because when the driver vibrates and its firm in your ear, you will feel the vibration too which gives the rumbling effect.

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #2,268 of 4,469

Gosh you're right! These sound more natural than most of the recordings I have.

You may be right. I noticed something similar with the re0s. With the black tips and the re0 slightly loose (but with a good seal) in my ear, the bass seems lighter as compared to if I used the big bi flanges such that the large flange is snugly pressing against my outer ear and the driver is held more firmly in my ear. There was more rumble in the bass with a firm fit. I was guessing that it may be because when the driver vibrates and its firm in your ear, you will feel the vibration too which gives the rumbling effect.

IIRC this was the reason for the RE252's unique design, to help bring out all of that. Not sure how much it applies to the DBA, being a BA, but you never know.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I'm glad to know my efforts are appreciated. Most of you wouldn't believe the conditions I work under if I told you, but that's not important. No worries, it's nothing bad, just very, very time constrained.

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #2,270 of 4,469
the dba is one excellent iem but disappointed me due to discomfort. Had to shove them a lot deeper in order to get the best sound and also to fix the sibilance. bass was a bit lacking too. hoping dba04 would not dissapoint

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #2,271 of 4,469
Mine arrived yesterday, which I had on back order through Bugden. Before I read the last few pages of this thread, I was wondering what's going on with the bass issue. All is sorted now though after taking a few tips. Still burning them in, too.

The triple flange tips seem to go on and come off the nozzle very easily. So easy, infact, that one got stuck in my ear when I pulled it out, just before. That was the first time I've used them. I've got them back in my ears again, and I think that I'll probably have to stick my fingers in my ear once again and pull out at least one out, due to how easy they can come off. Is there any advice on how to make them stay on the nozzle?

edit: Ok so they didn't come off the nozzle this time...but, my question still stands :)

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #2,272 of 4,469
I had the same problem myself with the included triples. Not quite a solution, but if you like the triples, Ety triples fit much tighter and don't come out.

Quote:

The triple flange tips seem to go on and come off the nozzle very easily. So easy, infact, that one got stuck in my ear when I pulled it out, just before. That was the first time I've used them. I've got them back in my ears again, and I think that I'll probably have to stick my fingers in my ear once again and pull out at least one out, due to how easy they can come off. Is there any advice on how to make them stay on the nozzle?

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #2,273 of 4,469
well they can.... today I got tips stock in my ear I believe 6 times... 3 of those times I had to get a family member to take it out with tweasers 
eek.gif
.... Be careful kids

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #2,276 of 4,469
The micropore tape w/ a hole didn't sound so good. So I tried the T100s in reverse. No squishing, just plug them in and I think it's the best sound for me so far as the sibilance is not so irritating anymore and I'm not losing on the detailed highs this way.
Listening to the Fuze again, I could safely say that even the bass is very faithful to the recording. It's really a transparent pair of IEMs I guess :)

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #2,280 of 4,469

Listened to Mad About the Classics before I hit the bed and I must say these are very resolving IEMs. The DBA can easily extract those 'nuisance' like musicians preparing/playing/moving about and maybe audiences clearing their throat - that were caught on the recording.
It's the very first time that I've fully appreciated Track 18 In the Hall of the Mountain King, from the subtle playing of instrument until the grand finale - no pun intended.
I'm a sucker for Vivaldi's Four Seasons and I've never heard Spring|La Primavera this way before, the violins sounded like they should - friction (plucked or drawn) on the strings can be heard clearly with their own characteristics - like I can sense the sizes of the violins.
The DBAs can really present the orchestra clearly and without confusion and this is just using the Fuze as source. Impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back