Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jul 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #961 of 4,469

Quote:
Quick question for those who have the DBA-02.  How well do they respond to amping? 

really really well. crap player sounds like crap, etc, you hear the character of source/amp.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #962 of 4,469
Has anyone ordered from the ebay seller and had to go through the warranty with him? 

I have a nightmare scenario running through my head that he could be very picky about the warranty "looks like it was your fault - no warranty, sorry!" 

Also, in the US is there an import tax on the package he sends?  

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #963 of 4,469
There is no customs fee or anything for US :) I think in regards to warranty Fischer Audio has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with as well as the reseller I bought it from (Budgen Audio). I asked Fischer Audio some questions and they were very prompt. I would have no issues if there ever was an issue where warranty would be needed.

@mythless: I found the DBA02 more revealing of source than most earphones I've tried. I haven't amped them but they definitely do like better quality source and the crap in crap out phrase has never been more true for these.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #964 of 4,469

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcello /img/forum/go_quote.gif

really really well. crap player sounds like crap, etc, you hear the character of source/amp.

Quote:
@mythless: I found the DBA02 more revealing of source than most earphones I've tried. I haven't amped them but they definitely do like better quality source and the crap in crap out phrase has never been more true for these.

That's good to hear, I guess haha.  I guess I keep these DBA-02 on my gift list and wait to hear some more reviews with them amped.  But, so far they do sound very promising.

@Rawrster:  how does the DBA compare with the eQ7?  I've been always intrigued by the Ortofons for quite sometime, but the high price (back then) kept me for investing them any further. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #966 of 4,469
They are much more than promising to me. They are the real deal. Doubt you will get stronger endorsements using the DBA via an amp.

Quote:
Quote:

That's good to hear, I guess haha.  I guess I keep these DBA-02 on my gift list and wait to hear some more reviews with them amped.  But, so far they do sound very promising.

@Rawrster:  how does the DBA compare with the eQ7?  I've been always intrigued by the Ortofons for quite sometime, but the high price (back then) kept me for investing them any further. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #968 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:

I think Joker is supposed to review them sometime the next week so that's one more review to read.

In regards to the e-Q7 they are very different. As of right now in my lineup the e-Q7 is my favorite although it does not have my sound signature as strange as that may sound. Over time the e-Q7 definitely has grown on me. The bass and midrange quality is very good. The bass isn't monster bass but it is adequate. It is in the same neighborhood as the DBA02 or CK10 in bass quantity and impact. The highs could be better but they aren't too bad. They do have a rolloff at the top which I do not like but I could live with it. It is only noticeable if treble is the area of your preference or having something with a better treble to compare to.

The DBA02 are also very good and definitely bang for your buck. The highs are very good and definitely better than the e-Q7. I do like their midrange as well and it isn't forward like the e-Q7.. Their bass quality I find isn't as good as the e-Q7 but it isn;t behind by much. One thing I like about the bass of the e-Q7 is that it reaches quite low and gives you a nice low rumble although not bass monster like.

The better value is easily the DBA02 but both are very good in very different ways. After buying the DBA02 I still consider the e-Q7 worth the amount of money I paid for it. For build quality I would put a slight edge towards the e-Q7 mostly since the cable just looks fragile and the plug is really small and doesn't inspire confidence but in no way does that mean it is bad. If asked to choose I wouldn't be able to give you an answer and I like having them both for different reasons. If you wanted to do some kind of critical listening I would choose the DBA02 over the e-Q7 without hesitation. I think the e-Q7 would probably be a more popular choice due to the midrange capturing you right away but that ultimately depends on your preferences which I do not know.

Also comfort is better on the DBA02. It is the 2nd most comfortable earphone I have owned/tried. The e-Q7 is a hit or miss due to it's larger housing size. Once in a while I have to take a quick 10 second break since it hurts my ears but that's only on very long listening sessions (>4-5 hours) without a break.

I did try them with the uDAC as well as I felt it was a good combo but the uDAC is a bit colored but it was still very good.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #970 of 4,469

Quote:
I think Joker is supposed to review them sometime the next week so that's one more review to read.

In regards to the e-Q7 they are very different. As of right now in my lineup the e-Q7 is my favorite although it does not have my sound signature as strange as that may sound. Over time the e-Q7 definitely has grown on me. The bass and midrange quality is very good. The bass isn't monster bass but it is adequate. It is in the same neighborhood as the DBA02 or CK10 in bass quantity and impact. The highs could be better but they aren't too bad. They do have a rolloff at the top which I do not like but I could live with it. It is only noticeable if treble is the area of your preference or having something with a better treble to compare to.

The DBA02 are also very good and definitely bang for your buck. The highs are very good and definitely better than the e-Q7. I do like their midrange as well and it isn't forward like the e-Q7.. Their bass quality I find isn't as good as the e-Q7 but it isn;t behind by much. One thing I like about the bass of the e-Q7 is that it reaches quite low and gives you a nice low rumble although not bass monster like.

The better value is easily the DBA02 but both are very good in very different ways. After buying the DBA02 I still consider the e-Q7 worth the amount of money I paid for it. For build quality I would put a slight edge towards the e-Q7 mostly since the cable just looks fragile and the plug is really small and doesn't inspire confidence but in no way does that mean it is bad. If asked to choose I wouldn't be able to give you an answer and I like having them both for different reasons. If you wanted to do some kind of critical listening I would choose the DBA02 over the e-Q7 without hesitation. I think the e-Q7 would probably be a more popular choice due to the midrange capturing you right away but that ultimately depends on your preferences which I do not know.

Also comfort is better on the DBA02. It is the 2nd most comfortable earphone I have owned/tried. The e-Q7 is a hit or miss due to it's larger housing size. Once in a while I have to take a quick 10 second break since it hurts my ears but that's only on very long listening sessions (>4-5 hours) without a break.

I did try them with the uDAC as well as I felt it was a good combo but the uDAC is a bit colored but it was still very good.

Thanks for the quick comparison, I'll wait for joker's review.  It's still a tough decision.  Now, I have read on the sizing issue on the eQ7 but haven't trying it out makes it really difficult to know whether or not it's worth the effort.  I generally use small to medium tips dependent on the IEM's design.  RE0 I think I use the smaller one of the two biflange they provide.  NE7m/PL50 I use small.  And RE252 well that just sits in it's case, haha I use the large biflange due to serious fitting issues.

For myself, I enjoy a nice mid range (grado love haha) but, I prefer balance (RE0) throughout the ranges more than anything else but I would like something just as balanced but more "fun, involving and capturing" if that makes any sense.  I don't think bass is a huge issue since the Pico Slim can probably fulfill the low end punch and fullness but, rumble I'm not to sure.  Guess I'll read up on the eQ7 amping prowess and listen to some of LFF's music he listed on his review so I can get a better understanding.

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #972 of 4,469
If you enjoy the RE0 type sound then the DBA02 is a more natural progression than the e-Q7 is. The housing is also much smaller and comfort is top notch so I suspect smaller ears would not have as much of an issue with the e-Q7. I think the DBA02 is a great choice and it doesn't cost as much as the e-Q7 if budget is a concern. $160 is definitely easier on the wallet than $300. If you do get them I would invest in some tips since I did not care for the stock ones. I settled for triple flange tips by Shure but those are the only other smaller nozzle tips in my collection so I didn't have much choice :p

The only thing I don't like about the DBA02 is that their chin slider slides all the way down a lot so it isn't a very effective slider. I'll probably make my own eventually so that the chin slider actually works.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #973 of 4,469

Quote:
And oh please don't quote posts out of context, I took a look at that post and he was commenting on their low-end 20$ range products. You as an informed buyer should very well know that at that range headphone quality is vastly different from higher-end flagship models. In fact right after he said that, he DID mention:
..and the DBAs are even higher-level than those mentioned. Case in point.

I specifically included the link to the original post so that anyone could take a look at it--as you seem to have done--and take it in context. Had I wanted to obfuscate, I would not have provided the link to the original post. My point was that I appreciated a Russian poster commenting on a Russian brand. I have nothing to hide. I have no hidden agenda. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to buy these or to buy some other brand. I'm doing due diligence for my own purchase.

At any rate, we have plenty of time to discuss as these are not in stock for anyone to purchase right now.
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #974 of 4,469
Good news. My problem on TREOO has finally been resolved. Because it was their mistake, they offered a refund on the headphone excluding the huge 100 SGD tax i paid and shipping charges. What does that mean? It means i get to keep the dba's for free. I feel very relieved on their effort to solve this problem and will look forward to buying more from them in the future. They have excellent customer service and i am very pleased with their fast communication

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #975 of 4,469
Quote:
Good news. My problem on TREOO has finally been resolved. Because it was their mistake, they offered a refund on the headphone excluding the huge 100 SGD tax i paid and shipping charges. What does that mean? It means i get to keep the dba's for free. I feel very relieved on their effort to solve this problem and will look forward to buying more from them in the future. They have excellent customer service and i am very pleased with their fast communication

eek.gif

You...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back