Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 20, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #706 of 4,469
Oh right. Texture was the word i was looking for. It seems the dba02 also scores better in terms of reproduction of timbre

And i forgot to mention that the headstage on the dba is also an upgrade over re0's relatively small and congested headstage. There is greater width and more noticeably height. The instruments feels better spaced which also makes the music sound more layered.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #707 of 4,469
Can someone compare the DBA-02 with TF-10? I'm getting my TF-10 Remolded and may consider and extra iem just incase. For around 160 its a great price and everyone seems to be happy with their DBA-02. I just saw in an earlier post that ClieOS took pics of DBA-02 and TF-10 together. Can you compare these 2?

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #710 of 4,469
Well I'm able to fit the Shure triple flange with no issue so it should be that nozzle size..not sure what comply tip size that is but it's not too hard to find out

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #712 of 4,469
Is the triple flange like the Etymotic ER6-i triple flange eartip? If it is then the fit is the same... I'm just curious because I have a collection of Comply tips for my W2s and the W2 tips and I'd like to know if they fit the DBA-02s.

Quote:
Well I'm able to fit the Shure triple flange with no issue so it should be that nozzle size..not sure what comply tip size that is but it's not too hard to find out

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #713 of 4,469
Out of the two which sounds better? DBA-02 retail is about 160 while TF-10 retail is around 400 but can be bought for around 220. I read through all 48 pages and some people here says it seems to be close to JH-13 tier. The only thing I don't like about the design is that it doesn't have detachable cable and that it is white cabling, which can get dirty easily.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #714 of 4,469
I'm somehow unable to get the Westone comply tips on my DBA (and I don't want to push even harder than I already am for fear of breaking the nozzle), but the shure olives somehow fit O.o.

But anyway, my two cents on the DBAs that I've been listening to for the whole day after getting them. First off, the clarity is amazing. Soundstaging and instrument separation likewise. But the amazing-ness of this phone stops there. I've read every comment on this thread, and while some people have said that it might not be good for people who prefer one thing or another, I've never seen a single negative comment about this earphone. So err here goes. The clarity and "sparkle" of the trebles is noticed, but imo it's way too much. I'm a musician and in a violin concerto wonderful 1million dollar instruments are so harsh they sound like they were made in China. Likewise with drum rides/hi-hats, which just sound shrill and thin. Voices lack body, which shouldn't be attributed to the tips (substituted olives for the stocks, should I be trying tri-flanges?) The bass is present but it lacks a punch of any sort, which is annoying (regardless of having been weaned off my basshead-ness by previous BAs) because it gets overpowered by the trebles, e.g. Muse's hysteria where you hear more of the distortion than the actual bass. The bass quantity on the whole COULD have been slightly increased, because contrary to popular belief, lack of bass doesn't mean neutrality in the sound (see http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/96-house-curve-what-why-you-need-how-do.html) But that having said, for the money paid the earphone is excellent. Love the mids, and for a BA this thing is surprisingly enjoyable on the whole. :)

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #716 of 4,469
Nightslayer, what setup did you try for testing? DBA is very source dependent and I hate my sansa Fuze with it, the trebles are like low quality mp3 with it, a proper amp with good source and good seal will improve those things I think.

That's why I'm waiting for s:flo2.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #717 of 4,469
Hmmm I'm reluctant to change my iPod touch to anything else, and even with the DAC from my HP laptop the SQ isn't much altered. The seal with the olives is perfect for me, not a question of seal. Admittedly the only amp I have is a cheapo Hippo amplifier which suited my Westones admirably cos it boosted trebles and improved instrument separation, but obviously I don't want to boost the trebles on these any more than I need to.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #718 of 4,469

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #719 of 4,469
Thanks for your insight. I guess the overall body of sound of the DBA-02 is a little too lean for large scale symphonics like Mahler symphony no. 9 and electronicas like Massive Attack. I still might get them for small scale jazz and classic rock. I think that's where the DBA-02 really shine.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #720 of 4,469

Quote:
Thanks for your insight. I guess the overall body of sound of the DBA-02 is a little too lean for large scale symphonics like Mahler symphony no. 9 and electronicas like Massive Attack. I still might get them for small scale jazz and classic rock. I think that's where the DBA-02 really shine.

yeah, from the day I got DBA's I listen to jazz more and more
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back