Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 18, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #691 of 4,469

Quote:
Is there anywhere I can order just like, 1 pair? I'd hate to order 5-pairs only to find out they don't fit (specifically Shure Olives, Ety Tri-flanges...I'm going to get the trial pack of the Comply foams, they have 1 size of each)...

There's no ultimate fit kit, that's the problem. It would be awesome to just say what type of nozzle you have and you would get all types of tips there exists. Some vendors provides big enough collection with their IEM's, but I don't want another IEM, I like the DBA

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #692 of 4,469
The more I use the DBAs the more addicted I get!!
Sound stage is source dependant, but never too intimate. On some recordings soundstage expands beautifully.
Now, to attest how great imaging works with these little fellas I recommend anyone to try binaural recordings with DBAs. Truly awesome. Very distinct sounds floating on space. Life is good!! 

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #694 of 4,469

Quote:
There's no ultimate fit kit, that's the problem. It would be awesome to just say what type of nozzle you have and you would get all types of tips there exists. Some vendors provides big enough collection with their IEM's, but I don't want another IEM, I like the DBA

Ah, that kind of sucks...I guess I'll try the Comply foams first then, at least they have the different sizes in one pack. Hopefully, they don't change the sound at all (still debating wax guard vs no wax guard), and if they have a good fit, I'll just keep them. Does anyone know how to use the Comply foams? Do you have to compress them first like regular foam tips, or do you just insert them normally?

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #695 of 4,469
Yes, one must compress Comply foams, as they are basically an overpriced standard foamie with slightly different foam.

Jun 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #696 of 4,469
I've got a question for Pianist, natural_nut and others who have experienced dba02 and re0 ... I am very happy owner of the re0 (still in burn in phase, but I miss mids a bit), .. do u think the additional upgrade to dba02 will worth the cost? The detailed reproduction is the main concern. thank you :)

Jun 19, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #697 of 4,469

Quote:
I've got a question for Pianist, natural_nut and others who have experienced dba02 and re0 ... I am very happy owner of the re0 (still in burn in phase, but I miss mids a bit), .. do u think the additional upgrade to dba02 will worth the cost? The detailed reproduction is the main concern. thank you :)

I have not heard DBA-02, sorry. But I can tell you from my experience with the RE0 that the only two IEMs I tried so far which I would consider a real upgrade over the RE0 are Shure SE530 (now SE535) and EarSonics SM3. I suspect RE252 and the upcoming RE-ZERO may also be good upgrades.

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #698 of 4,469
I owned the RE252 and currently have the RE-Zeros, and the DBAs are preferred to me. In my view, you have nothing to lose, everything to gain by purchasing the DBAs. To me, the Fischers are just more balanced, bolder, more dynamic and best of all, never need an amp to sound their best (which is not my experience with HD IEMs). I have not heard the RE0, but my guess is I would prefer the DBAs to them as well. I think HD makes a very nice IEM, but in this case, the Fischers are better. They also cost $100 more than the RE0s.

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #700 of 4,469
It's been a while since I heard the RE0 but from memory the RE0 is the better buy but the DBA 02 is the better earphone.

Jun 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #701 of 4,469
Right now, I split time (65-35 SM3/DBA ratio) between the DBAs and the SM3s ... not a bad problem to have. The SM3s really overwhelmed the DBAs when using custom tips (in my view). Before that, it was somewhat closer. But again, the DBAs are very musical is the only way I can say it.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #704 of 4,469

Quote:

I have both of them. The details on the dba02 are definitely better. When i first got the dba02 I didn't really feel that it was much of an upgrade over my re0. But since my re0 was away on RMA i couldn't do a direct comparison. After listening to the dba02 exclusively for a few weeks and ab-ing them with the re0 when they were back from RMA, i realized i was wrong.

I always thought the re0 had one of the best reproduction of details, but the dba02 did it better. Like someone said before ( i think), listening to other phones after hearing the dba is like putting on an ill prescribed glasses. Everything seems less focused and ill defined. Violin notes on the re0 sounded somewhat fuzzy and blur as compared to on the dba. On the dba you can hear the friction between the bow and the strings which can get really addictive. The definition and detail reproduction is really on another level.

Whether you think they are worth the extra cost depends on you. You'll always encounter diminishing returns when moving upwards but imo the extra $60 was worth it for me as i really appreciate the added balance and definition among other improvements.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #705 of 4,469

Users who are viewing this thread

Back