Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jul 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #856 of 4,469

Quote:
Just as an update to my DBA posts, I just sold my Earsonics SM3s for two reasons: One is I plan on upgrading to customs and figured the money I received for them would be an excellent start. At the same time, after a lot of listening and back and forth comparing, I just find the DBA sound signature (neutral, clear, clean, detailed and balanced) to be preferable to the SM3s, which I somehow could not hear on the same level as many others who love that IEM. I am not an audiophile, just someone who favors a certain type of sound in my portable phones.

I am in no way being critical of the SM3s, because some of my best HF friends love them (and some other members like them too). But as LFF so clearly laid out in his initial review that launched this thread, I just must be a sucker for the DBA sound sig. And if and when Fischer ever decides to launch a BA triple, I will be the first in line. I just hope I have enough left over to pay for the customs I decide to buy (JH13, UM Mage, etc.).

I am not sure many DBA owners feel as strongly as I do about them, but I know LFF remains as steadfast as his first post about the FA BAs.

Anyway, FWIW, I have owned dozens of IEMs, and I am really convinced the DBA sound sig was what I have been searching for. Could they be improved? Sure, but overall, I love these phones. Just to compare, apart from the SM3s, I have owned the MTP Gold/Copper, TF10s, ER4P/S, IE7/8, CK10, FS Atrios, Westone W2, PFEs, W3 and UM3X, and dozens of others, including Denons and assorted under $100 phones.

Have I said before I had found the phones that would end my search, sure. Who hasn't? But at their price point, the DBAs are the first ones below $200 that have earned that spot,

No problem w/ that.  Why should Grado get all the fanboys?  Let the Fischer signature get some love!

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #857 of 4,469
Not sure the DBAs will blow away the W2s, since I sold the W2s awhile ago and remember liking them okay. They are not bad at all. But to me, the DBAs are definitely preferred. I am thinking either UM Mage or JH13/16, but by the time I save enough $$$, who knows?

As for the DBAs, I found the stock tips caused harshness, but others do not. As you have seen me post, the Ety triples are the tip for me, no others work as well. But I may try using my custom UM56s with them again (sound was good, but fit felt uncomfy, I mean the fit outside the earpieces themselves).

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #858 of 4,469
i have a similar approach into this sentence, i dont know if i am an audiophile either since i cant hear major difference between each phones besides its bass-mid-treble sound sig but i do want to have a phone that just suites my taste no matter what the gimmick on it.

Quote:
I am not an audiophile, just someone who favors a certain type of sound in my portable phones.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #860 of 4,469
Lets hope so, on order.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #861 of 4,469

Quote:
Oh, I had the GR-8s too. LOL. I really think Fischer is onto something with its price to performance lineup. Time will tell.

Whats funny about the GR8's is how opposite they sound from the Grado signature. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #862 of 4,469
I know. I have owned a lonely pair of SR-80s (tape modded bowl pads and recabled) for 11 years, and I am happy with them since I hardly ever use full0-sized phones. But the GR8s did not sound a thing like the 80s.

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #863 of 4,469
While missing and waiting for my DBA’s replacement, I have been doing lots of reading (SM3, Westone,  and the like) and asking some guys here in the forum on what would be a backup or even an upgrade over the DBAs which I could get before the new unit arrives.
On this state of despair and insanity I even entertained the idea of going custom and there I went again lurking  the threads about JH13, Mages, and so forth.  Sure, those reviews / impressions about the big dog are really tempting, but too dangerous on my wallet. So, finally yesterday I came to my senses and decided to purchase a second  pair of DBA-02 as backups.
Call me coward but I don’t feel like expending $400 or more just to find out a slight performance improvement over the DBAs. I really would appreciate if someone proves me wrong!
Now I’m counting the days until I get to enjoy my DBAs again and keep my curiosity low until the day a manufacturer develops a terrific product way over DBA-02 that would make me $300 poorer at the most.  Maybe Fischer Audio ??? Or  I get crazy and send my backup DBAs for customs !!

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #864 of 4,469
Funny, I did the same thing. And mine aren't even broken. But to save a few bucks, I decided to get a second pair. I hope I never need them, and if not, we can always resell, or as you note, reshell, them.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #865 of 4,469
How do these compare to the UM3X and the Etys? I've heard the Etys and the UM3X get called the clearest, purest IEMs available, but I've also heard that they have a rather laid back sound to them, so I was hoping that these might have more of an "in your face" sound to them.

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #866 of 4,469
I've owned both the Etys (several models) and the UM3X, and the DBAs are much more fun, if that's the right word, or in your face, if you prefer that term. Just check out LFF's review at the beginning of the thread. He says it all. They are much more "musical" to me than wither the Westones or the Etys. I never cared much for the Westones, found them sort of dull, and I do like the new Ety dynamics (which are $79), but the DBAs, to me, are much more fun, musical experience.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #868 of 4,469
Remember, as with most IEMs, tips matter. I am among the DBA owners who find the Ety triple flange tips to work very, very well. Comfort and SQ-wise. With the regular OEM medium single flanges, I felt the DBAs were a bit harsh. But never a hint of sibilance with the Etys. Try the tips out of the box, and then if they don't work, check in with me via PM. I really want anyone buying these phones to get the best sound, because when you do, they excel.

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #869 of 4,469
Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me how the DBA-02 compare to the S4i.  Is there a big different in sound quality?  I am not good with audio and been reading alot of good things from both S4i and DBA-02 and they near the same price range. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #870 of 4,469
The S4 and DBA02 being in the same price range depends on where you live. I'm guessing you are not from the USA. DBA02 is around 160 and S4i is like 100? I would say that the DBA02 are overachievers while the S4(i) are more of underachievers.

The S4 is better in the following ways:
-it has a right angle plug
-it has more bass quantity
-cable does not seem as fragile
-it is cheaper

The DBA02 is better in the following:
-better quality mids, highs, bass and overall SQ
-slight edge in comfort depending on tips

The S4 might have harsh highs for you and has more bass quantity not lacking in quality in comparison. Their bass however did get boomy at times and sometimes a bit too much. They are very different signatures however. The DBA02 are more of a neutral type so might be bass light if you prefer bass heavy stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back