Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Apr 13, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #4,051 of 4,469
Btw no burn in on the DBA, what you hear is what you get. But when you get used to the 'phone's sound signature it gradually gets easier on your ears. Also, deeper insertion from trip/bi flanges = more bass = less percieved piercing highs.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #4,052 of 4,469
I got my DBA-02's.The sound out of the right earphone is fantastic but the left one is lower volume and very dull with no details. I have to send them back to Russia so these are not looking to be very cost effective by the time I get a working pair. The pre release of the Brainwavs version are looking very inviting.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #4,053 of 4,469

Quote:
Btw no burn in on the DBA, what you hear is what you get. But when you get used to the 'phone's sound signature it gradually gets easier on your ears. Also, deeper insertion from trip/bi flanges = more bass = less percieved piercing highs.

I disagree. I took the frequency response of mine after 2 days and then again after 10 days. It might have just been my pair but it was a lot flatter after 10 days. Listening to it, I noticed improved bass and tamer highs. The highs didn't change much on paper but the bass definitely went up, and the dip around 200Hz (the crossover?) disappeared.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #4,054 of 4,469
This seems to be a recurring problem. I have a similar problem and read a couple more from other owners on previous comments on this thread. I think Fischer should know and do something about this

Quote:
I got my DBA-02's.The sound out of the right earphone is fantastic but the left one is lower volume and very dull with no details. I have to send them back to Russia so these are not looking to be very cost effective by the time I get a working pair. The pre release of the Brainwavs version are looking very inviting.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #4,055 of 4,469
I bring you Fischer Audio's DBA-04

http://fischer-products.ru/news/dba-04-novye-dvuhdrajvernye-armaturnye

Anyway, any ideas how to keep my dba-02 nice and white? its getting abit yellowish im afraid. use them everyday.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #4,056 of 4,469

Quote:
I disagree. I took the frequency response of mine after 2 days and then again after 10 days. It might have just been my pair but it was a lot flatter after 10 days. Listening to it, I noticed improved bass and tamer highs. The highs didn't change much on paper but the bass definitely went up, and the dip around 200Hz (the crossover?) disappeared.

That.. would be interesting, considering the rather accepted knowledge that armatures with no moving parts generally don't burn in. Anyone with more knowledge than I happen to possess (which is next to none) care to comment?

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #4,057 of 4,469
This seems to be a recurring problem. I have a similar problem and read a couple more from other owners on previous comments on this thread. I think Fischer should know and do something about this

mmm....count me in. I was too busy dealing with the fit problem and giving up on one of the ears not fitting completely. Today I had a listen and I realized that one of the earpieces is about 2x louder (swap tips and or ears and it's still there.)

This is just epically sh!@. I had to wait for a month for GD to get stock and then for 2+ weeks for the shipping itself. Now it will take at least 2 to return.

%#*#*^%#*%

Good thing I caught it before reselling it. That would've been very embarrassing. Pity GD doesn't screen them before shipping when they know there's a problem with some units.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #4,058 of 4,469

Quote:
That.. would be interesting, considering the rather accepted knowledge that armatures with no moving parts generally don't burn in. Anyone with more knowledge than I happen to possess (which is next to none) care to comment?

Yeah.  Armatures do have moving parts as well as crossovers in some Multi BA cases.  If armatures didn't have moving parts you wouldn't hear anything.  
blink.gif

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #4,059 of 4,469

Quote:

I realize it's strange and I definitely wasn't expecting it. I was planning on just taking the frequency response and posting it for people who are curious, but since it sounded different a few days later I decided to check again, and sure enough it was not the same curve.

Before: http://imgur.com/cH3u8 (dashed lines indicate what I think are the lowpass and highpass on each driver)
After: http://imgur.com/1nqb2

Both graphs are normalized to 104dB at 440Hz, and the before chart was taken with silicone tips. I realize it's not the same scale (I didn't keep the first excel file so I couldn't correct it) but the 180Hz dip disappeared and there seems to be less bass rolloff (-10dB compared to -20dB). It's possible that I didn't maintain the same insertion depth into the sensor but I don't think that would explain the dip at 180Hz. Maybe a bit of methodological error and minor burn-in?

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #4,061 of 4,469

Quote:
heh. sent my DBA-02 to Dmitry for a refund or replacement with DBA-04 (maybe smaller = better fit and hopefully no dead drivers). The shipping was $30
frown.gif
. By now my pair cost me around $200.
I'm guessing this will all take about a month when I have to wait for my SM3x6 and use ER-6i
frown.gif
mad.gif

Now I understand your construction concerns in another thread. The dba-04 looks like it should be comfy enough. Hope it works for you sonically.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #4,062 of 4,469
I've read a bit and am seriously considering the DBA-02 for my next purchase. I am a bit hesitant though because of the quality issues I've been reading about (channel volume imbalance, build quality, etc.). Are there still a lot of faulty ones delivered, does it happen often?

If I want to order, will it be better to order from this "Dimitri" I keep reading about (from MusicaAcoustics.com, right?) instead of GD-Audiobase? GD-Audiobase is ~ $15 cheaper. Maybe I'd better shell out that extra cash for better/faster customer service if something is wrong with the DBA-02 I'll receive. Right?

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #4,063 of 4,469
I don't think anyone's had an issue with GD. More with the NA distributor. I doubt there are even 2% that get shipped with a problem of some sort. It's almost always going to be clogged filters, moisture, forced nozzles and tugged cables. Perhaps some of these happen too easily with the DBA and could be avoided with a different build but you get what you pay for and these issues can still be tallied to user error. It wouldn't stop me from buying them.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #4,064 of 4,469
I don't think anyone's had an issue with GD. More with the NA distributor. I doubt there are even 2% that get shipped with a problem of some sort. It's almost always going to be clogged filters, moisture, forced nozzles and tugged cables. Perhaps some of these happen too easily with the DBA and could be avoided with a different build but you get what you pay for and these issues can still be tallied to user error. It wouldn't stop me from buying them.

That's all fair enough. Still, IDK, about the 2% thing. My order from GD was in the low 300s, seems like we shouldn't be conjuring stats out of remote places.

Look, I'm not saying don't buy, I'm saying, know there are QA issues (and it will take about a month +1-2 weeks to send them back to Russia) and delays with getting stock/potential fit issues.
No one can quantify the risk for your set of circumstances, ears, time budget and wallet, but yourself.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #4,065 of 4,469

Definitely not a user error, clogged filters, moisture, etc. in my case. Either the drivers or the crossover is defective. I guess it's the risk that one has to take
Quote:
Quote:

That's all fair enough. Still, IDK, about the 2% thing. My order from GD was in the low 300s, seems like we shouldn't be conjuring stats out of remote places.

Look, I'm not saying don't buy, I'm saying, know there are QA issues (and it will take about a month +1-2 weeks to send them back to Russia) and delays with getting stock/potential fit issues.
No one can quantify the risk for your set of circumstances, ears, time budget and wallet, but yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back