Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Apr 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #4,022 of 4,469

Quote:
I'm worried the drivers were abused.  All too familiar story about IEMs loaned out to friends.

Yup! More often than not that's the main reason for DOA IEM's from non-audiophile friends.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #4,023 of 4,469
Ohman just ran into a disaster with my DBA02s. Lent them to a friend for a week, he said he kept them in a dry box most of the time when they weren't in use. I got them back today and they were busted, extremely soft now. Sound still comes through but its as if its playing through water or a wall or something. Anyone knows what might have happened? :/ My friend says they were fine till he returned them me and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt :/

It does rather sound like your "friend" is trying to dodge financial responsibility for damaging your IEMs...

Is it one ear, or both?

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #4,025 of 4,469
Quote:
Nope, both filters still intact. A first gen version with the paper-ish filters right at the top, nothing can get in.  . . .

Quote:
Check if he stuffed some cotton or foam in the nozzle - he might tried to kill the 'sibilance' :D

There's probably a good chance that nothing is stuffed in the nozzle.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #4,026 of 4,469
Silly question, but how exactly would you go about "abusing" the drivers, or damaging the crossovers, or really harming anything but the cable? It's all passive. Unless they plugged it into a source with DC offset and something melted, can you really damage something other than the cable without damaging the enclosure as well? Sounds more like a failed unit., barring cable damage.

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #4,027 of 4,469

Quote:
I'm worried the drivers were abused.  All too familiar story about IEMs loaned out to friends.

Quote:
Silly question, but how exactly would you go about "abusing" the drivers, or damaging the crossovers, or really harming anything but the cable? It's all passive. Unless they plugged it into a source with DC offset and something melted, can you really damage something other than the cable without damaging the enclosure as well? Sounds more like a failed unit., barring cable damage.

As I am getting my second pair of nice IEMs and I want to keep them in a good shape for as long as possible, this is interesting to know. It sounds like this damage could be caused by wrong usage? What would that be?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. :)

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #4,028 of 4,469

Quote:

OK, put on some crap mastering like most of todays pop music.  Plug the DBA or any phone into your desktop receiver.  Press play and crank the knob to max volume and let the clipping and distortion do its work.  Comeback in a day or two and see how it sounds.  Better yet, plug your sensitive IEMs into the jack on your airplane seat and listen to in-flight music at max volume and wait for the Captain to make a few announcements.  Enjoy.

Electrical engineering is more than DC offset I believe.  

(On a side note, I don't get why a subject that involves quarks and quantum mechanics is always simplified.  Topic for another forum.)

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #4,029 of 4,469
Send it for warranty?

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #4,030 of 4,469

Certainly with conventional speakers and crossovers, too much power can cause damage. You can directly damage the crossovers, and if there's also clipping from the input source you will generate higher frequency harmonics which, along with too much power (which is more likely to occur with clipping), can overheat and kill tweeters.

Can't say I know how BA's work, but the crossover is certainly suspect if nothing else.

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #4,033 of 4,469
Hmm thing is he IS an audiophile, he took my DBAs while I got his SM3s. Only difference is that his SM3s went back they way he got them.. And actually the thing about the tweeters being damaged sounds quite accurate, the sound IS dull with a lack of any attack in the sound whatsoever. But the queer thing is that the trebles are still there, sort of. :/ AFAIK he only plays music out of his iPod though, so how in the world could they have been damaged? Also, considering that both filters are still intact that kinda eliminates any possibility of things going down the nozzle yes? Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! 

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #4,034 of 4,469
Filters may be dirty. If the tips fit is different than his sm3s, he may have waxed yours. The filters may be clogged and that's what folks mean by checking them. From your description, it shouldn't be the drivers but stuff happens. Weren't people having moisture issues with these where drying them out helped?

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #4,035 of 4,469

Quote:
Filters may be dirty. If the tips fit is different than his sm3s, he may have waxed yours. The filters may be clogged and that's what folks mean by checking them. From your description, it shouldn't be the drivers but stuff happens. Weren't people having moisture issues with these where drying them out helped?

You, my good sir, are a genius. I thank you for clarifying, cleaned em out and they sound great now. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back