REVIEW: Firestone Audio Tobby DAC
May 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #46 of 160
Nice review!

Though, no comparison to Anedio :) You say that X-Sabre and Tobby are on the same technical level and earlier you mentioned that D2 outclasses X-Sabre, so it outclasses Tobby too?

May 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #47 of 160
Nice review!
Though, no comparison to Anedio :) You say that X-Sabre and Tobby are on the same technical level and earlier you mentioned that D2 outclasses X-Sabre, so it outclasses Tobby too?

May 29, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #49 of 160
Quote:
remilio - yes, I still find the D2 to be a better DAC, for my tastes anyway. Tobby and X-Sabre are not that far behind though, which is rather impressive. 

Yep, but don't forget about high quality amp built in anedio :wink: Thanks for the answer and sorry for triple ^_^ post, the forum was kinda lagging when I wrote it.

May 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #50 of 160
I'm having a little trouble getting this to work through USB. The driver installs but in the device manager it just keeps showing as "This device cannot start." And there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the device on the Device manager. Are there any special drivers that I need to install?

May 30, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #51 of 160
I'm having a little trouble getting this to work through USB. The driver installs but in the device manager it just keeps showing as "This device cannot start." And there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the device on the Device manager. Are there any special drivers that I need to install?

Did you download the driver from Firestone and install that? Windows will always try, then fail, for 24/192 capable DACs like this. So far your experience sounds normal for someone who hasn't installed the actual drivers. The disc might have come in the box, I don't recall - I always go to the website for the latest version.

May 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #52 of 160
May 31, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #53 of 160
Quote:
Yeah you're right. The issue was that Firestone has a couple websites and I couldn't find it on the first couple that I found on Google. The drivers can be found here for those looking in the future: http://www.firestone-audio.com/fsa_services/fsa_services_driverdownload.html

Agreed - it's kind of confusing. The USA site and EU site seem different from the one you linked to, which as far as I can tell is the "main" company website. Thanks for posting the link though. 

May 31, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #54 of 160
Quote:
  Agreed - it's kind of confusing. The USA site and EU site seem different from the one you linked to, which as far as I can tell is the "main" company website. Thanks for posting the link though. 

I'll try to ask FSA what the latest version of the Tobby driver is, and where it's best downloaded from when I get a chance.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #55 of 160
I had some time to listen to the Tobby. Just initial impressions so things may change, but I'm impressed so far. I think it is fair to say that this is pretty neutral, though I don't know if I would go as far as saying it is "analytical" because those have a lot of negative connotations that go along with it. Yes, the Tobby leans towards a more neutral and detailed sound, but is definitely not clinical.

There is a great sense of space and airiness that I was looking for in a DAC and that I felt the D100 I had before wasn't able to completely deliver. The D100 was a great unit and definitely an awesome value, but the sound was a bit too forward for my liking at times. The Tobby manages to be detailed and spacious without coming off as clinical; I did not detect any sibilance and the sound maintains a smooth natural character. I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough bass, but listening to some contemporary tracks quickly confirmed that my fears were unfounded. There isn't any coloration, but if the original recording calls for bass, you won't be disappointed.

This is kind of splitting hairs and more of an issue of personal preference, but if I had to pick at something I might bring up the mids. I kind of have a soft spot for forward and liquid mids (e.g. the RE262) and the Tobby doesn't deliver this. To be honest, this is probably a good thing since that means there isn't any coloration, but in my personal preference I wouldn't have minded if the mids were just a tad more forward. Splitting hairs, yes, but I'll get used to it and it's probably something that I can, and should, tweak with tube rolling.

If you're part of the camp that believes a DAC shouldn't color the sound then you should probably give the Tobby a good hard look.
The cherry on top would be if Firestone could somehow implement DSD through a future firmware update since the XMOS USB input should be capable (oh and not to mention, the USB implementation for PCM has been flawless so far).

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #56 of 160
Quote:
I had some time to listen to the Tobby. Just initial impressions so things may change, but I'm impressed so far. I think it is fair to say that this is pretty neutral, though I don't know if I would go as far as saying it is "analytical" because those have a lot of negative connotations that go along with it. Yes, the Tobby leans towards a more neutral and detailed sound, but is definitely not clinical.

There is a great sense of space and airiness that I was looking for in a DAC and that I felt the D100 I had before wasn't able to completely deliver. The D100 was a great unit and definitely an awesome value, but the sound was a bit too forward for my liking at times. The Tobby manages to be detailed and spacious without coming off as clinical; I did not detect any sibilance and the sound maintains a smooth natural character. I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough bass, but listening to some contemporary tracks quickly confirmed that my fears were unfounded. There isn't any coloration, but if the original recording calls for bass, you won't be disappointed.

This is kind of splitting hairs and more of an issue of personal preference, but if I had to pick at something I might bring up the mids. I kind of have a soft spot for forward and liquid mids (e.g. the RE262) and the Tobby doesn't deliver this. To be honest, this is probably a good thing since that means there isn't any coloration, but in my personal preference I wouldn't have minded if the mids were just a tad more forward. Splitting hairs, yes, but I'll get used to it and it's probably something that I can, and should, tweak with tube rolling.

If you're part of the camp that believes a DAC shouldn't color the sound then you should probably give the Tobby a good hard look.
The cherry on top would be if Firestone could somehow implement DSD through a future firmware update since the XMOS USB input should be capable (oh and not to mention, the USB implementation for PCM has been flawless so far).

Awesome post - thanks! Maybe I wasn't clear enough in calling the "analytical" aspect of the Tobby a minor character trait... sorry if I made you expect some super detailed, cold, boring thing. Because as you've now discovered, this DAC is not like that. But I understand what you mean about the liquid mids - tube rolling - and maybe opamp rolling in the Tobby - could be the answer.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #57 of 160
Quote:

Awesome post - thanks! Maybe I wasn't clear enough in calling the "analytical" aspect of the Tobby a minor character trait... sorry if I made you expect some super detailed, cold, boring thing. Because as you've now discovered, this DAC is not like that. But I understand what you mean about the liquid mids - tube rolling - and maybe opamp rolling in the Tobby - could be the answer.

No don't worry, you made it pretty clear in your review that this is anything BUT "analytical and clinical". I just wanted to drive that point home for others who may have had second thoughts about it.

I wouldn't have actually bought it if I was expecting it to be extremely cold, detailed, and boring. Thing about DACs is that the differences can be quite small and when you attach certain words to it, it's very easy for it to be lost in translation and blown out of proportion, especially on forums. Happens quite often on head-fi with not only DACs, but also headphones, amps, etc.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #58 of 160
Quote:

No don't worry, you made it pretty clear in your review that this is anything BUT "analytical and clinical". I just wanted to drive that point home for others who may have had second thoughts about it.

I wouldn't have actually bought it if I was expecting it to be extremely cold, detailed, and boring. Thing about DACs is that the differences can be quite small and when you attach certain words to it, it's very easy for it to be lost in translation and blown out of proportion, especially on forums. Happens quite often on head-fi with not only DACs, but also headphones, amps, etc.

Agreed! We focus on these minor differences, because we are really into this stuff. But ultimately the differences are not huge in a lot of cases. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #59 of 160
John:
I always enjoy your reviews. You have a very nice writing style: clean accessible, not too wordy yet plenty of color and detail. I also appreciate the balanced, even-handed manner you bring to subjective reviewing. Thanks for another fine effort.  Jeffrey

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #60 of 160
Quote:
John:
I always enjoy your reviews. You have a very nice writing style: clean accessible, not too wordy yet plenty of color and detail. I also appreciate the balanced, even-handed manner you bring to subjective reviewing. Thanks for another fine effort.  Jeffrey

Thank you sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back