REVIEW: Firestone Audio Tobby DAC
Jul 17, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #61 of 160
Curious that I do not see much mention of the Eastern Electric Minimax Plus Dac (their current version).  I wonder how the Tobby would compare. 

Thanks,
UL

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #62 of 160
Quote:
Curious that I do not see much mention of the Eastern Electric Minimax Plus Dac (their current version).  I wonder how the Tobby would compare. 

Thanks,
UL

Good question - I'd like to know that myself. I had the original Minimax DAC for a bit and didn't think very highly of it. The tube output just added noise, and the solid state was decent but nothing special. I'm at a loss to understand why so many people loved it. The new model looks to have some worthwhile improvements though. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #63 of 160
Thanks. I read a review a while ago where the Minimax Plus was put up against a number of much higher priced units in a blind test with a number of enthusiasts and acquitted itself very nicely. I think it came in 2nd. UL  

Good question - I'd like to know that myself. I had the original Minimax DAC for a bit and didn't think very highly of it. The tube output just added noise, and the solid state was decent but nothing special. I'm at a loss to understand why so many people loved it. The new model looks to have some worthwhile improvements though. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #65 of 160
Quote:
Great review. I picked up a Tobby off the forums and couldn't be happier. Thanks! When will your review of the Bobby be online? I'm looking for a good solid state balanced amp to compliment my WA2.

Working on Bobby now, hope to have the review up within the next month. It will be at InnerFidelity rather than HeadFi. Hint - Bobby is a very good match with Tobby, or most other DACs.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #67 of 160
I've read that "synergy is a key issue" with the HeadAmp GS-X, which tends to bring out the source. I'm loving the source quality of my Tobby, but wonder how it would pair with the GS-X and the 650s. Project86 points out that that the Tobby + GS-1 would go best with the LCD2 (or 650s, I assume). Thoughts (before I put down a deposit on the GS-X and complete my long journey for a new amp)?

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #68 of 160
Hmmmm..... good question. I haven't heard the GS-X in a long time but since you mention a deposit that means you'd be getting a new mk2 model anyway. I'd probably still say keep away from a really bright headphone on that system, just to be safe, though maybe it would be ok for an HD800 depending on your preferences. LCD-2 or LCD-3 would probably be killer. 

You'll probably have better luck checking the GS-X threads and seeing what DACs people tend to recommend. Tobby is not as bright as a Benchmark DAC-1 but somewhere in that ballpark as opposed to darker DACs such as Audio GD. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #69 of 160
I'm using HD650s and will trade up my ultra bright AKG702s for LCD2s at some point, so I took the leap and put down a deposit. I'll post listening impressions with the Tobby when I get the GS-X MK2 in five months :wink:

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #70 of 160
Quote:
I'm using HD650s and will trade up my ultra bright AKG702s for LCD2s at some point, so I took the leap and put down a deposit. I'll post listening impressions with the Tobby when I get the GS-X MK2 in five months :wink:

Nice! GS-X should be killer with HD650 and LCD-2 as well. The only problem I anticipate - you may later get the urge to move to a top tier headphone like LCD-3. There goes more money! Tobby seems easily good enough to support such a setup though, so you shouldn't need to upgrade that for a long while. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #71 of 160
Yep, your detailed review led me to that conclusion about the Tobby, and my listening impressions thus far have been quite positive.

Regarding the LCD3 urge - talk about a great problem to have. I'm reminding myself here to make a 'first world problem' meme based on this once I've had the GS-X for a while.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #72 of 160
Very reassuring that you think that Tobby is on the level to support even the LCD-3.  I have a brand new unit sitting here that I am selling. I'm itching to test it against my Minimax Plus but can't since that would make the Tobby used instead of new.  But if it doesn't sell, I may sell off my Minimax instead and pair the Tobby with a tube amp.  The detail of the Tobby may complement a tube and balance each other out.  Good to read your comment.

UL
Quote:

Nice! GS-X should be killer with HD650 and LCD-2 as well. The only problem I anticipate - you may later get the urge to move to a top tier headphone like LCD-3. There goes more money! Tobby seems easily good enough to support such a setup though, so you shouldn't need to upgrade that for a long while. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #73 of 160
Quote:
Very reassuring that you think that Tobby is on the level to support even the LCD-3.  I have a brand new unit sitting here that I am selling. I'm itching to test it against my Minimax Plus but can't since that would make the Tobby used instead of new.  But if it doesn't sell, I may sell off my Minimax instead and pair the Tobby with a tube amp.  The detail of the Tobby may complement a tube and balance each other out.  Good to read your comment.

UL

I think Tobby is on the level where it makes sense to spend more elsewhere before bumping up to a higher DAC. If someone had some cash burning a hole in their pocket, it would make more sense to go from HD650 to HD800, LCD-2 to LCD-3, that sort of thing, rather than upgrade Tobby to a more expensive DAC. You can of course find a better DAC, but it wouldn't be as appreciable until your system was pretty maxed out already. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back