Review: Fiio E12 (comparison to C&C BH + JDS Labs O2 + JDS Labs C421)
Apr 9, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #137 of 233
Just got my e12 - I'm a complete newb and this is the first time I've listened to my dt770s with an amp. I'm literally trying not to cry they sound so sweet. 1 audiophile recruited for life. :D Certainly in my opinion the e12 works just great with the dt770s! :D

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #139 of 233
Quote:
Just got my e12 - I'm a complete newb and this is the first time I've listened to my dt770s with an amp. I'm literally trying not to cry they sound so sweet. 1 audiophile recruited for life.
biggrin.gif
Certainly in my opinion the e12 works just great with the dt770s!
biggrin.gif

What was your source when you ran them unamped and what differences does the e12 make?

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #140 of 233
I've been using my E12 with a pair of 600 Ohm DT880s.

Sweet!
The amp has more than enough output for 600 Ohm DTs. Had to set gain to 16 dB. Not big on the bass boost though..........

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #141 of 233
Quote:
I've been using my E12 with a pair of 600 Ohm DT880s.

Sweet!
The amp has more than enough output for 600 Ohm DTs. Had to set gain to 16 dB. Not big on the bass boost though..........

V1 or V1 bass boost, and what are you not liking about it?

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #142 of 233
Forgive me if I missed it... 
Is there a teardown of the E12? 
Or at least comments about the gain device?  

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #143 of 233
Just got my E12 and am trying it with my B&W P5's and Sennheiser Momentum's ( running off an iPod classic and Samsung Galaxy S3). loving the improvement in all areas already and will run it like this for a while before experimenting with other settings.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #144 of 233
V1 or V1 bass boost, and what are you not liking about it?

It is V2, I just picked it up a few days ago.

Just too much bass for me, but maybe I'm not the right person to ask, I,m not really a bass head.
Some folks are, that's cool with me, it's just not my thing.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #145 of 233
You'd like v1 bass boost then I bet. And I bet you could trade for one.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #146 of 233
Quote:
What was your source when you ran them unamped and what differences does the e12 make?

I ran them straight from my iphone 4s and my macbook pro.  Unamped, the sound was just 'weak' - I can't really think of a better way to describe it.  It wasn't bad, just wasn't anything to write home about and it felt lacking - my shure se215 IEMs beat my unamped dt770s hands down.  Not surprising really - they simply weren't getting enough power.

With the amp - different story.  Forgive me, I don't have the technical lingo, but I *think* that what I find so breathtaking is the added soundscape the amp gives the sound.  It's like the music is all around you and things like swells in strings or echo are overwhelming - they just sound beautiful. The sound is much fuller too - warmer, smoother and generally more 'fulfilling'.  I spent 4 hours solid this morning sitting on a sofa, staring into space and doing nothing besides listening to music because I couldn't believe how good it sounded :D

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #147 of 233
Quote:
You'd like v1 bass boost then I bet. And I bet you could trade for one.

Yeah, I tried to get FiiO to stick with the V1 bass boost.
I'm sure the V1 owners don't want to give their V1s up!

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #148 of 233
Quote:
I ran them straight from my iphone 4s and my macbook pro.  Unamped, the sound was just 'weak' - I can't really think of a better way to describe it.  It wasn't bad, just wasn't anything to write home about and it felt lacking - my shure se215 IEMs beat my unamped dt770s hands down.  Not surprising really - they simply weren't getting enough power.

With the amp - different story.  Forgive me, I don't have the technical lingo, but I *think* that what I find so breathtaking is the added soundscape the amp gives the sound.  It's like the music is all around you and things like swells in strings or echo are overwhelming - they just sound beautiful. The sound is much fuller too - warmer, smoother and generally more 'fulfilling'.  I spent 4 hours solid this morning sitting on a sofa, staring into space and doing nothing besides listening to music because I couldn't believe how good it sounded :D

I've read some wildly varying opinions on amping the DT770 80 ranging from tightening up the bass to having no audible effect other than loudness. From what you describe, it sounds like amping them made them an entirely different headphone.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #149 of 233
Quote:
Did you do any kind of ABX testing to rule out placebo? I've read some wildly varying opinions on amping the DT770 80 ranging from tightening up the bass to having no audible effect other than loudness. From what you describe, it sounds like amping them made them an entirely different headphone.

I don't think discussions of ABX testing are allowed in this forum as per Head Fi rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back