[REVIEW] Fanny Wangs On Ear Wangs: Aurgasm In Your Ears?
Jan 15, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #17 of 66

Quote:
Excellent review, I'm thinking of getting a pair when they are available, no doubt they will trash any upstart like the D2000 or the HD650.

Thanks! But this is far from my final review, just wanted to get something out because I'm probably the only regular head-fier (I'd be surprised if Jude doesn't have a pair) here that has a pair, unless Joker's keeping secrets, and I wanted to confirm that they are real and that they should be taken as seriously as any other manufacturer.

And wait what was that last part? The HD650's chew these up and spit them out from a good system, and as much as I dislike the D2000's from my brief demo of them, they do some things better, like soundstage. The frequencies are a tossup though. The D2000's mids were more recessed than these, the Wangs aren't sibilant, at least from everything that I've thrown at them (and I've thrown A LOT at them) and the bass is a bit of a tossup. I have pretty bad auditory memory for anything that I haven't listened to more than an hour or two. From what I remember about the Denons, the Wangs' bass is a bit more controlled though, and there's less of it. I could be totally off so take that with a grain of salt.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #18 of 66
The last part was merely  jesting, I simply named 2 of the best reputed headphones on head-fi and said the Fanny Wangs would trash them, I didn't want to make the sarcasm too obvious by adding smileys.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #19 of 66

Quote:
The last part was merely  jesting, I simply named 2 of the best reputed headphones on head-fi and said the Fanny Wangs would trash them, I didn't want to make the sarcasm too obvious by adding smileys.

frown.gif
I probably should have caught that, but I'm exhausted and didn't process that...
redface.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #20 of 66
Updated the original post. Not looking too good.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #21 of 66
if you can spring for a portibal can, try for the sennherier HD 25 II, I HEAR they are good.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 66

Quote:
if you can spring for a portibal can, try for the sennherier HD 25 II, I HEAR they are good.

They are good!  Mine have finally burned-in a bit.  The bass in particular has really opened up.  They need to be driven by an amp or a pretty good sound card though.  The laptop and ipawd alone just couldn't do it.

I've not been able to put mine down!  The real bad part is that I can't listen to music any other way now.  It just sounds awful and is totally unsatisfying... :\

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #23 of 66
yea.... welcome to head-fi, I finally got my trifecta going Grado sr80i, Ultrasone HFI-580, and AKG k500.....this is going to keep me happy for some time.......

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #24 of 66

Quote:

Was this directed to me? I think I'm set with portables. I have a 2 pairs of Smeggipucks in fake ESW10JPN housings and an Audio Technica ATH-2 I plan on modding the crap out of so they actually sound good. I have better things to buy for $150
wink_face.gif
These were just an experiment if anything, and sadly, they fail to impress stock. I really want to mod these because these seem to have potential, but these are just a loaner pair.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #25 of 66
Okay...I finally have most of my review posted. Still need the comparisons to the K4 and VSH-5 and a conclusion. And tons of pictures. I just wanted to let people know I'm still continually working on it. If anyone has any questions, just ask. I'm exhausted and I know I'm missing some things.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #26 of 66
Review done, pictures to be added...whenever. Some time this week before I mail them back to Fanny Wang.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #27 of 66
Just when I though that names couldn't get any more unfortunate than Woo Audio, these things come along.  I think their name is intentional though.

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #28 of 66
Pics added. C'mon, hardly any interest? They're actually pretty good...

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #29 of 66
Great review Ish!  I hope Fanny W. can resolve their legal troubles with Monster, though they were kinda asking for trouble when they decided to go with a design that is 99% like Monster's.  I understand that they went that route to attract would be Beats shoppers and to stand out from the crowded marketplace, but with a name like Fanny Wang they would've stood out no matter what style they chose.  Still can't get over the name on-ear Wangz..heh heh...Ahem!  Anyway keep up the great work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back