Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
Jun 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #136 of 686
I have the Music and it tangles pretty darned easily. Last weekend Jude was telling me about a new cable coming from them that's completely self coiling and nearly tangle free. He didn't remember the actual name of the version but it was demoed at one of the Japan meets. I'd be interested in picking up a cable that doesn't tangle, that'd be the pinnacle cable in my book.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #137 of 686
  I have the Music and it tangles pretty darned easily. Last weekend Jude was telling me about a new cable coming from them that's completely self coiling and nearly tangle free. He didn't remember the actual name of the version but it was demoed at one of the Japan meets. I'd be interested in picking up a cable that doesn't tangle, that'd be the pinnacle cable in my book.

I've seen a video of it on youtube and I thought that it was available now....I'm going to ask CE if they can postpone shipment until they get this version.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #138 of 686
It's the BaX I have for both the 2 pin and the MMCX cables. Neither of them tangle any more than any other cable I have. If you coil them properly before storing them, they uncoil just as easily and I don't find they tangle in use.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #140 of 686
I have the BAX and really do not pick up a difference in tangle from the other cords I have.  They all can be a pain at times.  One plus for the BAX is a really useful cinch.  When putting away, I try to remember to cinch it up to the CIEMs.  This reduces the tangle factor a lot.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #141 of 686
  I have the BAX and really do not pick up a difference in tangle from the other cords I have.  They all can be a pain at times.  One plus for the BAX is a really useful cinch.  When putting away, I try to remember to cinch it up to the CIEMs.  This reduces the tangle factor a lot.

That\s exactly what I do. Cinch up to the shells and coil round three fingers and then tuck the end around the coiled loop. When using again, untuck the end and just let the coil drop out under the weight of the shells.

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #142 of 686
I sent a link to the video to CE and they say they do have this feature. Have you guys seen this video? Maybe it doesn't quite work this well or something. The guys
at CE said that the bax tangles the least (but the music and vocal versions supposedly are the only ones with this tangle-free feature). Still trying to figure it all out.

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #143 of 686
  I sent a link to the video to CE and they say they do have this feature. Have you guys seen this video? Maybe it doesn't quite work this well or something. The guys
at CE said that the bax tangles the least (but the music and vocal versions supposedly are the only ones with this tangle-free feature). Still trying to figure it all out.

I don't know what people are doing with them. The BaX is fine. Are people just stuffing them in their pockets or something?

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #144 of 686

I don't know what people are doing with them. The BaX is fine. Are people just stuffing them in their pockets or something?

Regarding tangling, the thin diameter/gauge and soft material of the cable makes it more prone to tangling, as opposed to the thicker, kevlar-sheathed stock Shure SE846 cable - which does a much better job keeping the tangle gremlins at bay.  That said, the tangling wasn't the main issue for me, it was more the MMCX connector cutting in and out if I moved it a little bit, and of course, the sound is slightly muffled.  People may not hear a difference based on what earphones/IEM's they are using, but I can say with the stock Shure SE846 cable, there is undeniably a difference in sound, and not for the better.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #145 of 686
Those MMCX connectors just seem so unreliable - I've read about this issue with a wide variety of iems. I'm waiting to hear back from CE to find out when the self-coiling versions will be available and might get one of these. Otherwise, I'll probably just go with the bax if the wait is going to be very long.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #146 of 686
  Those MMCX connectors just seem so unreliable - I've read about this issue with a wide variety of iems. I'm waiting to hear back from CE to find out when the self-coiling versions will be available and might get one of these. Otherwise, I'll probably just go with the bax if the wait is going to be very long.

I think since the MMCX connection needs to be 'just right', the connection needs to have either an OEM spec device attached to the corresponding earphone, or a really really well created hand-made cable to have the best seal and very little connection issues.  

The Linum has that hand made look/feel, and the connectors are not flush to the earphone ring and does not come with a very little washer, so the connection is not strong and the connector does not have the same spec (Linum connector is longer) that the stock Shure SE846 connector (shorter, perfectly flush) has.  If you take a look at my Sensaphonics Custom Sleeve in Crystal Blue review, it shows how the Linum is not flush with the Shure SE846 housing, but the stock Shure SE846 connector is perfectly flush.  The stock Shure SE846 cable is a perfect fit for the earphone, which has a little washer as well to help with the very strong connection, and is of assembly line quality, which means the stock Shure SE846 cable has very little (none for myself) MMCX connector reliability issues. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #148 of 686
I guess there was some misunderstanding on my part - CE says the vocal and music versions have the self-coiling feature now, so I told them I'll take the latter.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #149 of 686
Maybe a little bit of topic. But I would like to have a cable with microphone for use with my Iphone. Does any one know of a 2 pin connector cable (JHA standard) that has remote control and microphone? Does Estron make a cable like that?

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #150 of 686
Mine just arrived in the mail (BaX) and it's ridiculously lightweight and small. It has fairly good ergonomics and doesn't tangle easily at all imo. The sheathing is ever so slightly tacky - it's not as smooth as most cable housings. Everybody who says that they worry about its durability make total sense to me now. This thing doesn't seem much stronger than a piece of dental floss (exaggeration), but so far I've heard no complaints from anybody. Very impressive stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back