Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
Jul 17, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #151 of 686
  Everybody who says that they worry about its durability make total sense to me now. This thing doesn't seem much stronger than a piece of dental floss (exaggeration), but so far I've heard no complaints from anybody. Very impressive stuff!

The strength comes from aramid fibres. So we should not worry about it.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #152 of 686
I can't feel them at all when walking around, almost as if my CIEMs have bluetooth - it's a pretty cool sensation I must say.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #153 of 686
Mine just arrived in the mail (BaX) and it's ridiculously lightweight and small. It has fairly good ergonomics and doesn't tangle easily at all imo. The sheathing is ever so slightly tacky - it's not as smooth as most cable housings. Everybody who says that they worry about its durability make total sense to me now. This thing doesn't seem much stronger than a piece of dental floss (exaggeration), but so far I've heard no complaints from anybody. Very impressive stuff!

I can't feel them at all when walking around, almost as if my CIEMs have bluetooth - it's a pretty cool sensation I must say.

Congratulations on your new cables. I wear glasses, so these would be a godsend if the SQ were as good as the ergonomics. I'd appreciate if you could answer a few questions:
1. In your opinion, does the BaX affect the sound signature of your IEMs in any way?
2. Where did you order from, and how was the packing for shipment?
3. How much did you pay for import duty, customs etc. (that's relevant since I'm living in Vietnam too)?
4. How do you find the quality of the connectors?

I'd love to hear some of your impressions on this cables. Thanks.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #154 of 686
Congratulations on your new cables. I wear glasses, so these would be a godsend if the SQ were as good as the ergonomics. I'd appreciate if you could answer a few questions:
1. In your opinion, does the BaX affect the sound signature of your IEMs in any way?
3. How much did you pay for import duty, customs etc. (that's relevant since I'm living in Vietnam too)?

1. No difference in sound quality.
2. http://www.cosmicears.com/shop/linum-2pin/
3. I paid 21,000VND.
4. The connectors were too big for recessed sockets on UM Miracles, so I used a very fine nail file to file the connectors just a little bit. Now they fit perfectly.

You will probably forget you even have cables - it's almost like having bluetooth CIEMs. Anybody with glasses should really appreciate them.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #155 of 686

What IEM are you using the BaX cables with?  If you use Cosmic Ears, you won't hear a sound difference because the Linum is from what I have read, the stock cable.  If you are using a high end IEM, such as the Shure SE846, you will hear definitely difference in sound quality and not for the better with the BaX cable.

The connectors are okay, but since they didn't fit my earphone housing port as well as stock, would have connection (cutting in and out) issues if I moved the cable any.

Not saying you won't like them, but the cutting in and out and the recessed sound signature compared to the stock cable was the deal breaker for me.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #156 of 686

What IEM are you using the BaX cables with?  If you use Cosmic Ears, you won't hear a sound difference because the Linum is from what I have read, the stock cable.  If you are using a high end IEM, such as the Shure SE846, you will hear definitely difference in sound quality and not for the better with the BaX cable.

The connectors are okay, but since they didn't fit my earphone housing port as well as stock, would have connection (cutting in and out) issues if I moved the cable any.

Not saying you won't like them, but the cutting in and out and the recessed sound signature compared to the stock cable was the deal breaker for me.

I'm using UM Miracles (certainly high-end) and there is no difference in the sound whatsoever. No connection issues here (mine is the 2-pin version, not MMCX type), ergonomics are unbelievable.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #157 of 686
I'm using UM Miracles (certainly high-end) and there is no difference in the sound whatsoever. No connection issues here (mine is the 2-pin version, not MMCX type), ergonomics are unbelievable.

I second this opinion. The erganomic improvement with my Linum Music was almost unreal. As a glasses wearer this cable is what I had been looking for all along. I also have the 2-pin and it's paired with my 1964-Q.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #158 of 686

I second this opinion. The erganomic improvement with my Linum Music was almost unreal. As a glasses wearer this cable is what I had been looking for all along. I also have the 2-pin and it's paired with my 1964-Q.

I guess we agree to disagree.  Maybe the differences are slim to nil for both of you but with the SE846 (and other's opinions on this thread), there is difference (to my ears) in the entire audio spectrum, and not for the better.  The atom like weight is nice, but the sound difference was just too different for me to just shrug it off and not give it any care.  Hence, it was returned.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #159 of 686

I guess we agree to disagree.  Maybe the differences are slim to nil for both of you but with the SE846 (and other's opinions on this thread), there is difference (to my ears) in the entire audio spectrum, and not for the better.  The atom like weight is nice, but the sound difference was just too different for me to just shrug it off and not give it any care.  Hence, it was returned.

Could be the 846, not sure how to account for the change in sound. I've no idea what the impedance characteristics of the stock 846 cable are, either. There is no maybe on this end, though - exactly this much change in sound for me:

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #160 of 686
Could be the 846, not sure how to account for the change in sound. I've no idea what the impedance characteristics of the stock 846 cable are, either. There is no maybe on this end, though - exactly this much change in sound for me:

The SE846 has very low impedance ~9 ohm, so any cable, especially with different thickness (like I mentioned before, the Estron is thinner so impedance is automatically different than stock cables that are thicker) will have an impact. How much depends on the earphones and the person's ability to discern the sonic differences and/or not just giving in and making up the mind that there is no difference in sound, when in fact, there is (at least for low impedance IEMs and some posters earlier in this thread).

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #162 of 686
doublea71, moedawg140, AxelCloris & tomscy2000

Thanks everyone, for your feedback. I'm currently using the UE900, mostly. I think the potential comfort of the BaX would make the gamble worth it ... If not for the negative feedbacks regarding their MMCX implementation (loose, sound cutting off). I wonder if some DeoxIT would do it. My stock cables had a bit of a similar issue and a dab of DeoxIT on each connector did the job. Just applied once and the connection's been flawless for over a year.

Anyhow, still mulling over the MMCX issue .... hmmmmm what to do? Would be great if I could try out the cables before pulling the trigger, but the odds of that in Vietnam would probably be "zero point zero" percent :frowning2:

Next up would be a Noble CIEM .... Maybe wait till then and get the 2-pin?

Decisions, decisions ..... Arghhhhh! I blame this forum. I was so contented with my Shure E2G for over 15 years. Then I stumbled on this forum & lost my musical zen....

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #163 of 686
doublea71, moedawg140, AxelCloris & tomscy2000

Thanks everyone, for your feedback. I'm currently using the UE900, mostly. I think the potential comfort of the BaX would make the gamble worth it ... If not for the negative feedbacks regarding their MMCX implementation (loose, sound cutting off). I wonder if some DeoxIT would do it. My stock cables had a bit of a similar issue and a dab of DeoxIT on each connector did the job. Just applied once and the connection's been flawless for over a year.

Anyhow, still mulling over the MMCX issue .... hmmmmm what to do? Would be great if I could try out the cables before pulling the trigger, but the odds of that in Vietnam would probably be "zero point zero" percent
frown.gif

Next up would be a Noble CIEM .... Maybe wait till then and get the 2-pin?

Decisions, decisions ..... Arghhhhh! I blame this forum. I was so contented with my Shure E2G for over 15 years. Then I stumbled on this forum & lost my musical zen....

Yeah, I don't think they're available here. Are you in HCMC? I'm over in Phu My Hung fwiw.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #165 of 686
Not sure, but it feels like a piece of dental floss. Only a slight exaggeration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back