[REVIEW] Edited Shure SE215 IEM REVIEW
May 12, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #20 of 61

Quote:
Very nice review, this will most likely be my next purchase!

And by the way, how would you compare them to the Meelec M6?

Yes i know i said earlier that i was going to compare them to the Meelectronics M6, but i don't think it was necessary. The SE215's absolutely destroy the M6 in every aspect imaginable. The SE215's bass surpasses the M6's, the Mids are more detailed and joyful unlike the M6, and the SE215's beat the M6 in treble as well. The fit is better, build quality, everything except for the price. Yes the M6 is such an amazing deal, but you get so much more if you pay more for the SE215's.

Quote:
how is the clarity from the shure compared to both etymotics?

Again, i promised to compare with the Ety MC5 as well but i didn't want to waste time comparing the two in depth. I think the MC5 has a more warmer tone than the cold HF5, but that said, the Shure is the warmest of the three. In order from most clear to least clear has to be HF5, MC5, and SE215's. Its quite difficult achieving clarity when you have such boomy bass coming from the SE215.

Quote:
Great review. I was on the fence about buying these but your review just sold me.

But one more thing, how's the instrument separation and placement with these?

Oh thank you and you just made me realize that i didn't go into much depth with soundstage. Well, like i said, the trebles on the SE215's aren't amazing. While listening to rock music, i find that the Hi-Hats on the drums and ride sound quite far away when compared to the guitars and bass. Especially while listening to Metal, i noticed the Double Kick overpowering the accompanied Hi-Hat/Ride. Hope i answered your question correctly o_o

May 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #21 of 61
Quote:
Oh thank you and you just made me realize that i didn't go into much depth with soundstage. Well, like i said, the trebles on the SE215's aren't amazing. While listening to rock music, i find that the Hi-Hats on the drums and ride sound quite far away when compared to the guitars and bass. Especially while listening to Metal, i noticed the Double Kick overpowering the accompanied Hi-Hat/Ride. Hope i answered your question correctly o_o

Sorry, I should've been more specific. Do you have a problem finding where each instrument is in the soundstage? Like, for example, is the guitar clearly alone to the right, the bass guitar alone to the left, the drums and hi-hats in the center (but the hi-hats are above the drums)?

May 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #23 of 61

Quote:
To me, the lack of treble is a deal breaker.  I like good, sparkly highs. :p

If anything, you are probably better served than the vast majority on Head-Fi, at least FWIR. Many here seem to associate the word 'bright' with the word 'icepick' ....

May 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #25 of 61

Quote:
Sorry, I should've been more specific. Do you have a problem finding where each instrument is in the soundstage? Like, for example, is the guitar clearly alone to the right, the bass guitar alone to the left, the drums and hi-hats in the center?

well if you put it that way, its not difficult but it takes some time. I find the Hi-Hats relatively difficult to spot on occasion because of the weaker highs. The Guitar and Bass are very easily distinguishable while the Drums hi hats and ride are more difficult to find. Hope that helps

May 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #26 of 61
Just be aware of one thing - once you go Grado you never go back. I've had several pairs, including the Alessandro MS1, and I have come back to the modded SR60i : they are a tough habit to kick. Just steer clear of the 125i and 325is first time out of the gate.

Only the Senn mafia are more fiercely loyal to a brand, and we all know how that ends - live by the phone, die by the phone.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #27 of 61
Thanks planx, I've got no more questions. By the way, I can't stress how much I liked your review. I read a lot of reviews here and yours is easily one of the best. You should try write more, if it's not too much work
tongue.gif

May 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #28 of 61

Quote:
Just be aware of one thing - once you go Grado you never go back. I've had several pairs, including the Alessandro MS1, and I have come back to the modded SR60i : they are a tough habit to kick. Just steer clear of the 125i and 325is first time out of the gate.

Only the Senn mafia are more fiercely loyal to a brand, and we all know how that ends - live by the phone, die by the phone.
very_evil_smiley.gif

mhmm i always wanted to try Grados... Never had the opportunity to try them out. maybe when new models come out i will do a review on that as well xD

Quote:
Thanks planx, I've got no more questions. By the way, I can't stress how much I liked your review. I read a lot of reviews here and yours is easily one of the best. You should try write more, if it's not too much work
tongue.gif

Thank you!! I'm planning on writing more reviews in the future so stay tuned xD If you still have questions, feel free to ask! They dont bug me at all :D

May 13, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #29 of 61
I admit, i could have made the layout better and grammar is an issue here and there. In the future, i will make sure i will fix those problems

May 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #30 of 61

Quote:
Haven't burned mine in much yet, but I feel there's a bit of blanketing/ dip at 3kHz. Hoping this improves with a bit of time, sometimes when instruments cross into the 3khz region they become more difficult to hear/separate. Anyone noticed this as well in the early stages?

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HfQcOSkXY0 around 1min 20. Guitar clarity muddies up a bit. Solo is fine as it goes higher freq (2min 20)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXjWcJNkjTs Hexstatic-vector  sweet filter approaching 30s. Particularly effective with a bit more treble

(i'm actually a complete novice at analytical sound quality, mostly just seeing how people's opinion might match up here)

Hi transcendent12,

This is the main reason why I am thinking to sell them after a replacement (defective left earpiece) with a new pair. More than the recessed trebles. After a while I am used to the trebles, and I think I can pass on them. But I find these SE215 unable to resolve the congested music that I listen. I started to enjoy them because they are very detailed and full of dynamics with low congested tracks. And the bass started to sound to me more equilibrate with the time. But I cannot forget how they congested my metal/rock music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back