Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
Aug 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #242 of 416
What tube combinations have people tried in the Taboo?  I read Steve's description of the benefits of using a pair of SV83.  I haven't tried the pair that came with the unit.  Also, have people tried 5751s instead of the 12ax7?

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #243 of 416
There's a reasonable amount of info scattered through this thread - check out the Decware forums too.

I'm still definitely in the experimental stage of tube-rolling and can't contribute much of value. Currently I'm using the stock 6N1Ps (edit: oops, of course I meant) 6P15P-EVs (SV83s) and have no thoughts of changing them.

I like neutral, but did find certain driver tubes (e.g. a NOS brimar CV4033 from Tubedepot) to have harsh upper mids with the stock rectifier. This has changed with the Tung Sol 5Y3GT rectifier recommended by Frank I and others. A NOS Tung-Sol 12AU7A sounded fantastic with this on some (well-recorded) jazz material, but maybe was a hint too warm for my liking otherwise. My initial impression is the amp is much (or even) more transparent and revealing of detail with the 5Y3 across the Brimar CV4033, Tung Sol 12AU7A and a GE6414 (1957-60 vintage) - maybe just because the 5Y3 is a better tube than the stock one.

However, it has also made it clear there is a multitude of sounds achievable.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #244 of 416
Quote:
What tube combinations have people tried in the Taboo?  I read Steve's description of the benefits of using a pair of SV83.  I haven't tried the pair that came with the unit.  Also, have people tried 5751s instead of the 12ax7?

I did and did not care for the 5751 and the best tube I liked was the Mullard 12 AT7 with the Sylvania el84 blackplates. Try the SV83 that was what was in the amp when I had the meet here. Nice tube

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #245 of 416
I've been using 5751 / 12Ax7 in my Taboo ever since. Haven't it changed it one bit. Stuck on a Sylvania Gold Pin 5751 and Sylvania El84 Black plates right now. Haven't felt the need to change them out. 

Also, congrats on getting your CSP2 Aidee. Also anxious to hear the comparison between the Leben and Taboo Dminches...

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #246 of 416
Quote:

dminches, any perspective on Cary's SLI-80 vs Decware gear?

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #247 of 416
I don't think they are comparable as a speaker amp. The SLI-80 is much more powerful. I will eventually compare all 3, including the Leben, as headphone amps in the next month or so.

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #248 of 416
I would expect the Taboo to work well with high efficiency speakers (Decware, Zu, Teresonic, etc.) But I would say that they are generally for a different low watt SET audience than the SLI-80. I have spent several hours with the SLI-80 and my HD650's and it has been a lot of fun. That said, I have the CSP2+ and Taboo on order right now and am (somewhat) patiently waiting. I would very much enjoy a comparative review. The Leben makes the pot even sweeter! Thanks in advance for taking the time and doing the comparison!

popcorn.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #249 of 416
I am driving a pair of Nola Boxers with the SLI-80. I have the Taboo hooked up to them now to break in the taboo. They will not play very loud with the Taboo which I guess isn't unexpected. The Boxers are 90 dB.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #250 of 416
Thanks for the congrats on the CSP2 SemiAudiophile...it arrived yesterday and... 
L3000.gif

This comment is more relevant to the CSP2 thread but - wow!

I've tried it with the Beyer T1 phones so far and everything head-fiers such as Skylab said about the Beyer/CSP2 combination is true. Previously I found the T1s bland and understated. Not any more...

Once I've had time to pick myself up off the floor and adjust, I'll hook up to the Taboo and add to the comments already posted about the CSP2/Taboo/LCD2 combination.

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #251 of 416
Quote:
Thanks for the congrats on the CSP2 SemiAudiophile...it arrived yesterday and... 
L3000.gif

This comment is more relevant to the CSP2 thread but - wow!

I've tried it with the Beyer T1 phones so far and everything head-fiers such as Skylab said about the Beyer/CSP2 combination is true. Previously I found the T1s bland and understated. Not any more...

Once I've had time to pick myself up off the floor and adjust, I'll hook up to the Taboo and add to the comments already posted about the CSP2/Taboo/LCD2 combination.

My HD650's can't wait. I am in the "Parts Pulled" stage with my CSP2+....

popcorn.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #252 of 416
I'm about eight days into my new Taboo burn-in. The results so far are... interesting. The HD800 sounds noticeably less lively and interesting than a pair of Grado SR-225i 'phones. With the Taboo, I'd describe the HD800 as sounding more like a recording whereas the Grados are much closer to live music. Something must be amiss.

For comparison's sake, I fitted my Mapletree HD Ear+ with an identical vintage gold label blackplate JHS 5751 and ran through the same tracks. Surprise, surprise... the HD800 finally edged past the Grados.

Bringing the Mapletree into the mix illuminated a few important points. First, the Decware Taboo pumps out some really nice bass. It must be due to the fully tube-rectified circuit. It's very nice. In fact, it's just the ticket for Grados. They really kick on the Taboo. Another difference is the aptly-named "Lucid Mode", a kind of natural tube crossfeed which expands the soundstage. It's noticeable, it's interesting, I like the effect, and again... it's just the ticket for Grados which typically have a soundstage about the size of a frozen pea. It could very well be that the Taboo ends up being my new favorite Grado amp. I'll keep the HD800's plugged into the high-Z port on the Mapletree until I solve what appears to be an impedance issue.

In terms of enjoyment at this point...
Mapletree + HD800, then
Taboo + Grado SR-225i, then
Mapletree + Grado SR-225i, and lastly
Taboo + HD800 (sacre bleu!)

Seems like an impedance mismatch or something. I've read about some folks shorting the Taboo speaker jacks with resistive loads. Haven't tried that yet. Maybe it will tighten things up for the HD800... who knows? Anyone here use them?

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #253 of 416
The Taboo is meant for low-impedance 'phones, and has the current to drive orthos. HD800 is high Z isn't it (IDK, never found out)? If so, your findings are exactly as advertised 
wink.gif

For high imp. phones there is Decware's CSP2+, which also provides the 4V output the Taboo likes to see.

I drive my LCD2 off the Taboo. Must admit I haven't tried my Grados yet - now I will, thanks to your post.

The shorting of the Taboo speaker jacks - in the absence of authoritative input from Steve Deckert - appears to only be needed if the particular Taboo lacks a speaker/headphone switch. Some do, even recent (2012) builds. An alternative is to connect speakers.

Taboo's bass is indeed very nice!

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #254 of 416
Quote:
The Taboo is meant for low-impedance 'phones, and has the current to drive orthos. HD800 is high Z isn't it (IDK, never found out)? If so, your findings are exactly as advertised 
wink.gif

For high imp. phones there is Decware's CSP2+, which also provides the 4V output the Taboo likes to see.

I drive my LCD2 off the Taboo. Must admit I haven't tried my Grados yet - now I will, thanks to your post.

The shorting of the Taboo speaker jacks - in the absence of authoritative input from Steve Deckert - appears to only be needed if the particular Taboo lacks a speaker/headphone switch. Some do, even recent (2012) builds. An alternative is to connect speakers.

Taboo's bass is indeed very nice!

The HD800 is 300 ohm.

My Taboo was just built and doesn't have a speaker switch, per se. Just a switch to engage/disengage Lucid Mode. Is this the same thing?

Well shoot. If the Taboo won't do the HD800 justice, then... hmmmm. A new plan.

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #255 of 416
Sseparate switch. Lucid switch is standard. Speaker/phones switch is on the opposite side if you have it - (Edit: Oops RHS) LHS viewed from the front.

Decware has four amp builders Steve D told us recently. It appears they build slightly differently!! A mark of hand-built, individual craft perhaps.

You might benefit from appropriate resistors, not sure. Chris J is an EE and might chime in... Chris?

For comparison, I briefly plugged my Beyer T1s into the Taboo when I first got mine (January this year). This combination sounded pretty ok - different but about level with my SS amps (Meier Concerto, Meier Classic, Violectric V100 - which I guess would be considered good midrange amps) and hybrid (Schiit Lyr, Matsu' 6922 tubes).

Whereas my LCD2s reached a completely new, higher level (detail, resolution, vividness) with the Taboo.

Less than two weeks ago I got the CSP2+... it has done for the T1s what the Taboo did for the LCD2.

I guess you could get an LCDx 
evil_smiley.gif

I jest - I understand HD800 and LCD are different as chalk and cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back