REVIEW: DARKVOICE 3322
Jun 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #91 of 492
Resisting temptation is over-rated. Give way to the temptation.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #93 of 492
No comparisons as yet. The old 332 gave you about 90% of the sound quality of the 337, and that came from people who had heard both.

The 3322 is better than the 3322, so maybe that percentage is up tp 95%. The only problem is that DV have released the 337SE. So perhaps that takes us back to how things were: the 3322 offers you 90% of the sound quality of the 337SE.
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #94 of 492
A couple of people have mentioned the dual volume knobs saying it's no big deal. Can anyone else weigh in on this? Do you use a dB meter and mark where they're the same, or is it easy enough to just do it "by ear" while you're listening?

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #95 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by xodeuce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of people have mentioned the dual volume knobs saying it's no big deal. Can anyone else weigh in on this? Do you use a dB meter and mark where they're the same, or is it easy enough to just do it "by ear" while you're listening?

well as long as the imbalance is not too big, i previously got a set that the imbalance was up to 50% differences and i totally was unable to accept it and got an exchange.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #97 of 492
Hey guys.
Today I ordered one!
I hope will be good one. Under the shell the amp is looking dam good! Hope
it will sound as good.
I will now order some lamps! Which combination has a good analytical, dynamic, clear, charming sound? What would you suggest?

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #99 of 492
Hi, good to hear another 3322 owner has entered the world.
beerchug.gif

The sound you want could be achieved by the use of 403Bs (small, signal tubes) and SVETLANA 6S19P-Bs (large, power rectifying tubes). The 403Bs will give you the clarity and dynamism, while the SVETLANAs will add richness, expansiveness and a touch of warmth.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #102 of 492
Thanks ever so much on the review.

I saw this while peeking around the Head-Direct site for $hi%s and giggles and then I started peeking at amps of course and looking for ones that could power some 600 ohm Beyerdynamics that I am contemplating.

Then this thing looks kinda FAB. So I look it up on head-fi and come across your glowing review!

gah. Thing is, I JUST yesterday decided to pursue getting or choosing the iBasso D10 Cobra opamp rollable optical AMP/DAC and obtaining an iRiver iHP120 or 140 with 32GB CF or SDHC card... because its the only FLAC capable player with an optical out.

Ah well, this Darkvoice LOOKS Fantastic, and it seems like it will sound wonderful...

HOW do tube amps work? I'm UNINITIATED. I don't understand A THING about them... I know they are analog, electricity vibrates a filament blah blah i remeber that from electronics class and thats ALL.

SO what's with the 2 knobs one left, one right? what do they do?... What is the deal with tube rolling, and what are the good tubes to put in this amp??

Please be nice! ;-D

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #103 of 492
You're right, the 3322 does sound fantastic, and it excels with high impedance cans like the Beyers (I own the DT880s) .

The 3322 uses two 6J1s, a pentode, and two 6C19s, a triode. These are the stock Chinese tubes and, to tell you the truth, they don't sound very good. The first thing any DARKVOICE owners does is to get shot of the stock tubes and replace them with a good quality US or European version: the 6AK5W, 5654, 403B, M8100 or CV4010. These tubes are fundamental to the sound reproduction as they amplify the signal itself.

The larger of these tubes are the 6C19s. No direct Western equivalent, so 3322 owners have to use Soviet 6S19Ps, made by the SVETLANA and ULYANOVSK factories. Excellent tubes, but aren't as crucial to the sound: they are power rectifying tubes which basically stabilise the power supply.

Almost forgot: two volume controls, one for left and right channels.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #104 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right, the 3322 does sound fantastic, and it excels with high impedance cans like the Beyers (I own the DT880s) .

The 3322 uses two 6J1s, a pentode, and two 6C19s, a triode. These are the stock Chinese tubes and, to tell you the truth, they don't sound very good. The first thing any DARKVOICE owners does is to get shot of the stock tubes and replace them with a good quality US or European version: the 6AK5W, 5654, 403B, M8100 or CV4010. These tubes are fundamental to the sound reproduction as they amplify the signal itself.

The larger of these tubes are the 6C19s. No direct Western equivalent, so 3322 owners have to use Soviet 6S19Ps, made by the SVETLANA and ULYANOVSK factories. Excellent tubes, but aren't as crucial to the sound: they are power rectifying tubes which basically stabilise the power supply.

Almost forgot: two volume controls, one for left and right channels.

WHY a volume control for each channel??? Why Why Why? can they be ganged? that will be irritating... *sigh* however its a beautiful amp... ooh i don't know. that will really really irritate me. Does Darkvoice have a similar model without the dual volume thingy?

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #105 of 492
I did see a rather attractive 336Classic... but its not as nice by a mile. So I will just have to put up with the quirk for the pretty i suppose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back