REVIEW: DARKVOICE 3322
Jun 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #108 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dual volume controls are a gimmick, I suppose. But it's not a big problem to match the level of the two controls.

Well Godkin, It sure is gorgeos physically as the pics I will throw link to in a sec will prove for the others, gut let me jokingly ask you this: does the sonic and musicality performance of this stunningly laid out and lourvely (read : lovely with slurred from a punch drunk affectation) machined bodice overcome any possible inconvenience of the seperate volume on the Left-Right channels?

Aslo do they easily sync to each other in practice? Meaning what is the friction/tension of them? great? medium? moderate? low? slight? fluid? feather-light?? very curious now. certainly they don't look stepped, which would be ideal. then you could have click stops work in your favour. Oh well. Looking forward to your response!

Thanks!

Let there be pix! :

2009Jan191540393322-1.jpg

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...ml#post4840169

And the link to the sweet sweet set of pics by DaMnEd... !!!

Really cool images!!

Can't wait till next year!

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #110 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could set levels then stretch a large elastic band around both volume knobs, so when you adjust the volume, both channesl would change at the same time.

That's a cute trick! I wonder if it would work in real life?? HUH. LOL!

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #111 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Godkin, It sure is gorgeos physically as the pics I will throw link to in a sec will prove for the others, gut let me jokingly ask you this: does the sonic and musicality performance of this stunningly laid out and lourvely (read : lovely with slurred from a punch drunk affectation) machined bodice overcome any possible inconvenience of the seperate volume on the Left-Right channels?

Aslo do they easily sync to each other in practice? Meaning what is the friction/tension of them? great? medium? moderate? low? slight? fluid? feather-light?? very curious now. certainly they don't look stepped, which would be ideal. then you could have click stops work in your favour. Oh well. Looking forward to your response!

Thanks!

Let there be pix! :

2009Jan191540393322-1.jpg

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...ml#post4840169

And the link to the sweet sweet set of pics by DaMnEd... !!!

Really cool images!!

Can't wait till next year!

i dont find having 2 knobs any problem in balancing the volume on left and right. and no offense please but i feel you are asking a very no sense question.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #112 of 492
I was just really really shocked by the whole idea of seperate channel volume controls. That's all. I suppose by your reaction, I realize I will get used to it QUICK!! Thats encouraging!

Now as for something constructive... what can you tell us uninititates about tube amps? what about these tubes you are running? what are their audio characteristics?? If you know of a better thread to refer to please post links. Thank You so much!

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #113 of 492
Yes, the sound of this amp does overcome, and overcome easily, any possible inconvience with the dual volume controls. Inconvience is far too strong a word actually. There's no inconvience at all, just the reality of a great amp with two volume controls.
bigsmile_face.gif

I think I mentioned in my initial review, and on Page 7, about the tubes: but basically the 3322 uses, in its stock form, 2X6J1s and 2X6C19s, all of Chinese origin. But these tubes, while OK, are far from brilliant or exceptional. So whip them out and replace them with a high quality US or European equivalent. The western versions of the 6J1 are 6AK5, 6AK5W, 5654, 403A, 403B, EF95, M8100 and CV4010, all made by various manufacturers. With the 6C19 (or 6S19 in English) you are limited to Soviet made tubes: 6S19P and better quality 6S19P-B, made by SVETLANA and ULYANOVSK. Both excellent tubes, but sonically slightly different in presentation: the SVETLANA is marginally richer and warmer.

For further info, it's always good to consult to the 332 thread. Lots of good stuff as the 3322 is an upgraded version of 332 and uses the same tubes.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #114 of 492
I've got a DV336 and HD650 since a few years which I'm quite happy with, certainly after tube rolling, but I do sometimes hear the dreaded veil.
Recently I started thinking about getting some expensive tubes to get the most out of my DV336. That is one approach, but a dangerous one. What if one of those tubes dies on me. That would suck.
So I realised there's another approach: why don't I upgrade my amp.
Duh you say, but I don't like to upgrade often so until now it wasn't really an option although I can easily afford it.

I found the new DV3322 and I must say, it looks really nice and looking at your comments I quickly realised I was done searching.
I placed an ad for a used one.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #116 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you find one, AS1.

Yeah. It might be a long shot trying to find a used one so soon...

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #117 of 492
I have one for about two weeks now. The sound is just amazing. After burn in of maybe 70-80 hours I replaced the really **** chines tubes whit two 6s19p-b ulynovsk and two cv4010 tubes. This amp really has a soul, every music I play is more realistic, more alive.
The soundstage is big and the bass deeep and articular. But the biggest attribute in my opinion is the dynamic of sound. Whit my AKG K701 I am listening all my music on 8.30 o clock volume and I can notice every detail of music played. I love it. I never taught a chines tube amp would sound so delicate.
I future I have a lot of tubes to experiment whit, but for now I like this signature.

For owners of low impedance headphones I fully recommend it.

I have just noticed the upper plate is getting very hot. I mean I know this is a tube amp, but is this normal?

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #118 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just noticed the upper plate is getting very hot. I mean I know this is a tube amp, but is this normal?

what's your voltage?

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #120 of 492
Already answered this in a PM, Marko, but for other potential owners out there, the 3322 does get hot. In my experience of DV amps and tube amps generally, they all get hot - the 332 got extremely hot. The only exception was the AUDIOTAILOR HM-1 which remains remarkably cool.
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back