[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
Apr 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #106 of 355
Yeah im with you on this. Looks and build do matter to me. Not like crazy but, id like a pair of cans to feel their price, just to make me feel more satisfied.

For example, would I love my ESW9 if I wasn't infatuated with appearance? No. Would I have even bought my AD700 or HD598 if I didn't find their looks sexy? No. And the blues cans of the HE-400 are off putting enough to me that I may pass them on even if I love the sound. If that makes me part fashionista and less of a headiophile, than so be it. That only covers sound/appearance too. My HD598 may go away because while I like the look and sound, they feel cheap and brittle to me.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #107 of 355
For example, would I love my ESW9 if I wasn't infatuated with appearance? No. Would I have even bought my AD700 or HD598 if I didn't find their looks sexy? No. And the blues cans of the HE-400 are off putting enough to me that I may pass them on even if I love the sound. If that makes me part fashionista and less of a headiophile, than so be it. That only covers sound/appearance too. My HD598 may go away because while I like the look and sound, they feel cheap and brittle to me.

Yeah!

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #108 of 355
[size=9pt]Well both the videos and the extensive talk on this thread has made me very informed, and very torn ahaha. I posted a thread looking for advise on my next purchase (replacing shure srh440) for open cans. my choices included the senn hd598 and ad900x. But now due to the wide range of music I enjoy I’m leaning towards the Sony’s. its only too bad the "love child" didn’t exist, the separation on layers is a must have for me, but the airy quality is also what I love about my Hifi... If only being informed made decisions easier..[/size]

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #109 of 355
Quote:
[size=9pt]Well both the videos and the extensive talk on this thread has made me very informed, and very torn ahaha. I posted a thread looking for advise on my next purchase (replacing shure srh440) for open cans. my choices included the senn hd598 and ad900x. But now due to the wide range of music I enjoy I’m leaning towards the Sony’s. its only too bad the "love child" didn’t exist, the separation on layers is a must have for me, but the airy quality is also what I love about my Hifi... If only being informed made decisions easier..[/size]

I've had the MDR-MA900 for about a week now, I've been listening with my new AD900X cans for about 15 minutes and I'm really satisfied with the AD900X.

Just a quick first impression:

Comfort:
The MDR-MA900 is more comfortable on my ears on the AD900X, however the AD900X while heavier seems to sit more comfortably on my head.

Sound:
AD900X sounds more fun (so far), I've haven't even listened to them for an hour but I can definitely feel like the signature suits my preferences better.  The MDR-MA900 probably will work with electronica better, the AD900X seems like it would be very fatiguing.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #110 of 355
The ma900 are still keepers in my book because of the clarity of the mids combined with great bass and so super light weight!
They are amazing yet since my preference in the treble is the audio technica I gave these to my mom so they can stay "in the family"
:)

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #111 of 355
After I get some money, I'm seriously thinking about picking up the MA900s. Seeing as I have a pair of heavily modified AD900s (AD2000 drivers with beyerdynamic gel earpads with cotton underneath), I'm curious as to how the MA900s sound compared to them. 

I'm also wondering what modifications I can do to this headphone too. I read that there's some kind of resistor on the headphones so it'll work better with high output impedance amps, and that when someone (can't remember the name) rerouted the cable, it opened up the sound much more. 

Plus, you have that hole in the headphones where the sound leaks out. I'm wondering that if you cover it up with some duct tape or something if it improves bass response. 

Then, you have the earpads that don't look like they'll seal very well, so if I were to transplant my beyerdynamic gel pads on there, I wonder if I could get a better seal around the headphone, thus improving bass response. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #112 of 355
I think all the mods you are suggesting would probably completely change the MA900 into another kind of headphone haha. I would be worried about making the large 70mm driver partially sealed as you propose. It will probably need more power (less sensitivity with more damping) and may distort because it was originally designed for a very open frame. But it's worth a shot!

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #113 of 355
Quote:
I think all the mods you are suggesting would probably completely change the MA900 into another kind of headphone haha. I would be worried about making the large 70mm driver partially sealed as you propose. It will probably need more power (less sensitivity with more damping) and may distort because it was originally designed for a very open frame. But it's worth a shot!

Nah, I highly doubt I'll run into any distortion issues. I'm thinking the side affects of what I'm going to do is I'll lose some airiness of the since they'll be more closed up. The upside is that it will most likely have a much improved bass response. The soundstage should be a bit wider too. Then again, everything I just said may be wrong. I'm just going of what I heard after I did what I did to my headphones.

The MA900 uses a variation of the XB1000 driver, so I know that there's some untapped bass potential in these headphones, a lot of potential.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #115 of 355
^ Did you post this in the wrong thread?

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #116 of 355
Yes, I concur the sony ps4 is definitely the way to go when compared with the alternatives.  When I put the ps4 on my head, the bass quantity and quality is amazing.  The on-ear xbox 720 is more resolving, but the always online drm really impacts the soundstage :wink:

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #117 of 355
^ lol!

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #118 of 355
Quote:
Yes, I concur the sony ps4 is definitely the way to go when compared with the alternatives.  When I put the ps4 on my head, the bass quantity and quality is amazing.  The on-ear xbox 720 is more resolving, but the always online drm really impacts the soundstage :wink:

L3000.gif
  Haha.  That lame Xbox DRM definitely messes with my glorious sound-stage.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #120 of 355
Quote:
On the gaming topic....Anyone use the MA900 for gaming?  How is the sound-stage and imagery for gaming?  (say compared to the AD700 if possible)

I've owned the AD700 and own the MDR-MA900.  For competitive gaming I would use the AD700, while I wouldn't say it has a larger actual sound stage, the AD700 seem to have better sound stage and imagery because of the almost non-existant lows.  The AD700 also seem to work better with VOIP (Skype, Teamspeak, Origin) while gaming as well.

The MDR-MA900 however win the the fun factor, you get good imagery and at the same time you're also feeling the impact of gunfire and explosions.  

Honestly the AD700 is one of the best competitive gaming headphones available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back