[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
Apr 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #76 of 355
I am pretty sure that the MA900 is built solidly. It's probably less fragile than most headphones just because it's so light and flexible; if it were dropped it would absorb shock easily. All the pieces seem to fit together well and fit and finish is up to Sony's usual standard for mid-fi gear.

I just doesn't FEEL nice. It feels flimsy. The Audio Technica cans feel marvellous in comparison.

I very much agree with this. The MA900 just feels too light and flimsy while the AD900x has some good weight while not being heavy at all. Its very solid. I'd be more afraid to drop the MA900 but idk exactly how sturdy it is.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #77 of 355
Is anyone of you willing to do a crash test? :p

Seriously, is it all aluminium like the AD900?

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #78 of 355
Quote:
Is anyone of you willing to do a crash test? :p

Seriously, is it all aluminium like the AD900?

I've dropped it before, but its a carpet floor *shrug*

It's all plastic, but the actual design is moulded out of only a few pieces of plastic which seems to make it stronger, except for parts of the headband made of magnesium alloy. It's pretty well thought out but feels light and insubstantial. I really wouldn't worry about breaking it unless you either sat on it or twisted the headband for some crazy reason.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #79 of 355
How about I have a big head? I'd say I have an XXL head size. AD900 and K550 are perfect for me. Some headphones like the HD598 feel weird on my head for some reason.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #80 of 355
great review...nice haircut :p
wink_face.gif

i tot i hated audio technicas....
but this ad900x is getting my attention without irritating me with its soundstage..lol. 
ksc75smile.gif

anyone tried using a LYR amp on the sony900?
would that give it more life at the top end...
and control the 70mm diaphragm better.. jus wondering. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #81 of 355
Can anyone comment specifically on which one is better for classical music? In the "battle of the flagships" post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#post_8827188), DavidMahler writes of the AD900: "CLASSICAL MASTER: For under $300, I cannot think of a headphone which is truer to the sound of a real concert-hall than that of the AD900. It may not look like much, but the AD900 is a classical music wizard." I imagine that the AD900X maintains this good quality. How does the MA900 compare?

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #82 of 355
I'd prefer the AD900X for classical really. I actually just got the AD1000X (which is also under $300) and I'd recommend that over both!

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #84 of 355
Eventually I'd do a review yeah haha. Got to really adjust to them first though.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #85 of 355
Quote:
I'd prefer the AD900X for classical really. I actually just got the AD1000X (which is also under $300) and I'd recommend that over both!

I already have the AD700. I wonder whether it is sufficiently close to the AD900(X) for classical music that I should get the MA900 for a different sound signature.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #86 of 355
Eventually I'd do a review yeah haha. Got to really adjust to them first though.

Well I'm going to just grab some MDR ma900s! Everyone's been bragging so much about their comfort that it seems impossible to dislike them! Thanks!

P.S.: On a totally different note (not sure if its appropriate) I've heard some really great things about the ATH WS99. They're said to be considerably better than the common portables (MDR 1R, MOMENTUM, M100). You should check them out.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #87 of 355

Well I'm going to just grab some MDR ma900s! Everyone's been bragging so much about their comfort that it seems impossible to dislike them! Thanks!

P.S.: On a totally different note (not sure if its appropriate) I've heard some really great things about the ATH WS99. They're said to be considerably better than the common portables (MDR 1R, MOMENTUM, M100). You should check them out.

Oh and how well do they respond with amping? (MDR ma900)

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #88 of 355
That's interesting. Can you give me some links to these opinions? :3

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #90 of 355
A fantastic comparative review, well written and layed out as usual. An the vids are very finely cut as well. 
biggrin.gif

I've had the AD900 in the past, I certainly feel the MA900 is technically better in most respects, number one would be the bass response (duh) but no less improtant is the improved(!) sense of oppeness and the out-of-head coherent imaging. AD900 had "bigger" sound but less defined. I'd never decribe AD900's treble as agressive tho, Do you think the AD900x is brighter?

One thing I don't agree with is your assesment of the build quality and design:
"The MA900 is quite literally one of the most dismally uninspiring builds I’ve ever seen on a headphone. The super light weight, the flimsy way the earcups flop around in their cradles, the all plastic design (apparently there is actually some metal hiding the headband), the ill-proportion of the massive driver size to the tiny headband. The cable is thin but the plug is okay. Almost everything about it seems flimsy and cheap."

Well first, While i don't own the MA900 anymore (I liked them but i've became a spoiled SQ brat:)) i was absolutely postive that the arms and yokes are magnesium, not plastic, As the driver frame itself clearly is. It's just a differnt material and was colder to the touch during winter. Possbly the outer grilles as well, Not sure about that. You sould check that again, Maybe put them in the fridge for a coupla mins. :)

Second, You've ascertained yourself that one of the design goals was to minimize the overall frame in favor of wearing comfort. Do you think there's a better approach to achieve this that to err... minimizng the frame? In comparison to the F1, Tho objectively i think it's still comfier than MA900-due the the supperior weight distribution of the self adjusting headband- i did feel the MA900 was somhow less intrusive on the head because it's so slim... I dunno, it's somehow psychologically made me less aware i'm having them on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back