[REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R
Dec 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #46 of 113
Quote:
Tremendous effort and absolutely gorgeous reviews. Thanks a lot for your time. Love your style and looking forward to more from you.
K267 when they get released, perhaps? I know, you already made up your mind, etc. (ish)
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the nice comments! At this point, I don't think I can afford to try anymore options haha. Otherwise I would have tried hard to get my paws on a Philips L1 as well. Right now I have to get around to making a classified for my UE6000, since I really don't need all of these heh.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #47 of 113
So you got the 1R's for <$150?! Whoa man. Just blown away by that statement since they're practically new. Man, you got one heckovadeal. Great to see that you're happy with them, and thanks for the impressions!

Edit:
I also just saw your inventory of phones :0 you could've burned that money on a flagship w/ an amp/dac. But if you did that, we wouldn't have your impressions lol 

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #48 of 113
Quote:
So you got the 1R's for <$150?! Whoa man. Just blown away by that statement since they're practically new. Man, you got one heckovadeal. Great to see that you're happy with them, and thanks for the impressions!

Edit:
I also just saw your inventory of phones :0 you could've burned that money on a flagship w/ an amp/dac. But if you did that, we wouldn't have your impressions lol 

That list needs some serious culling, but there are lots of items there that I keep (even if I don't use them all that much) for kind of sentimental reasons. I guess that's what it means to be a collector and not just 'find one headphone to rule them all'. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #52 of 113
How would you compare the mids of the Z1000 and the 1R? I've heard that the 1R is a bit more unclear there. Also, assume that they cost the same (to me they do).

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #53 of 113
Quote:
mention the prices please .

I just added the prices, but the problem is that the RRP price and the street price of these headphones is very different, and very different across different territories. Every single one of these headphones I purchased for well below RRP, and in the case of the TMA-1, MDR-1R, purchased at below 50% of RRP. If you are interested in any of these headphones you are better off doing a research of street prices, since I cannot really give a good idea here.

Quote:
How would you compare the mids of the Z1000 and the 1R? I've heard that the 1R is a bit more unclear there. Also, assume that they cost the same (to me they do).

I just added some notes and a conclusion to the MDR-1R section to give my thoughts about how it compares to the z1000. The MDR-1R sounds similar to the Z1000 but is a darker headphone overall, with treble slightly subdued and the bass increased compared to the z1000. This might mean that vocals appear to be slightly less clear, but actually the MDR-1R is cleaner to me in sound overall, with less of the honky / brassy note of the Z1000. I would only choose the Z1000 if the build was really important to me (and even then I'd take the Momentum's) but the MDR-1R is a definite improvement, and much better value.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #54 of 113
Quote:

I just added the prices, but the problem is that the RRP price and the street price of these headphones is very different, and very different across different territories. Every single one of these headphones I purchased for well below RRP, and in the case of the TMA-1, MDR-1R, purchased at below 50% of RRP. If you are interested in any of these headphones you are better off doing a research of street prices, since I cannot really give a good idea here.

thanks for mentioning the prices , would you do a short shoot out between momentum and 1R for me ?

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #55 of 113
Quote:
     thanks for mentioning the prices , would you do a short shoot out between momentum and 1R for me ?

Um, most of my comments about the MDR-1R are directly compared to the Momentums in the review lol...

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #56 of 113
Quote:

I just added some notes and a conclusion to the MDR-1R section to give my thoughts about how it compares to the z1000. The MDR-1R sounds similar to the Z1000 but is a darker headphone overall, with treble slightly subdued and the bass increased compared to the z1000. This might mean that vocals appear to be slightly less clear, but actually the MDR-1R is cleaner to me in sound overall, with less of the honky / brassy note of the Z1000. I would only choose the Z1000 if the build was really important to me (and even then I'd take the Momentum's) but the MDR-1R is a definite improvement, and much better value.

Thank you! Looks like I'll probably have to try it for myself since they seem close. I really use that the 1R had the build quality of the Z1000 with the same looks.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #57 of 113
Great reviews and comparisons a_recording! Are you able to update with a Pro700Mk2 comparison as mentioned? Would be much appreciated!

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #59 of 113
Quote:
Great reviews and comparisons a_recording! Are you able to update with a Pro700Mk2 comparison as mentioned? Would be much appreciated!

Thanks Jonny! I'll see if I can do that - I thought no one was actually very interested in the Pro700MK2 comparison. Actually, I have the 50th Anniversary version, which apparently does have some sound differences to the standard model. (When I tried them both I did feel like there was a slight difference in the treble, and actually, the normal Pro700MK2 is vented whereas the ANV does not appear to be so. 

Is there any headphone in the comparison that you'd like me to focus on comparing against the Pro700? I no longer have the UE6000's...

Quote:
How are the mids on the Momentum vs the M100s? 

This is a question that I am literally not equipped to answer but perhaps someone else in this merry thread can :3

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #60 of 113
Thanks mate, probably the TMA-1 and the MDR-1R are the ones I'm most interested in a comparison of, keep up the top work
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back