[REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R
Dec 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #16 of 113
Very nice review/comparison.

I was also in a similar search for a very good closed circumaural,for portable use.

I ended up choosing the MDR 1R. (I also own shure 840 which I love it's sound but it's not so portable,and krk kns 6400,which also looks a bit weird on head.I owned K550 too which I though it sounded really nice,but returned it due to some built issues.)

It would be very interesting to hear your opinion on 1R,both amped and straight of the iphone,compared to the UE 6000 and momentum.

But be carefull because it needs many hours of burn in. 4-5 hours of burn in are not enough.
So it will be also interesting to hear your take on these,before and after a burn in of 100+ more hours.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #17 of 113
Quote:

I reckon the TMA-1 is more style over substance compared to some of these other cans, but then they are fun. The Momentum's I can imagine are pretty different from the DT1350's, at least based on my memory of the Beyers...

Did you try the ES10? I'm always curious about those, I've only heard them once and briefly.

I'm afraid I haven't. I honestly didn't like the thought of walking around with mirrors around my ears in public, so I went to try out the woodies. My friend who tried it said it was very bright. That was all he said, so I'm guessing that's the main feature of the sound sig. The ESW9's I would say are very warm while the ESW11JPN is very refined and balanced.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #18 of 113
I just got a pair of the Sony Z1000 and I have to say I like it a lot. It's quite similar to the SM3 and ESW9 -- a nice coloration over the mids to make female vocals particularly nice. Yeah, soundstaging is a bit poor and the bass isn't the tightest (with some peaky treble too), but it plays beautifully with lots of music. I'd call it an upgrade over the ESW9 sound; maybe a closed HD600?

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #19 of 113
Quote:

I was also in a similar search for a very good closed circumaural,for portable use.

I ended up choosing the MDR 1R. (I also own shure 840 which I love it's sound but it's not so portable,and krk kns 6400,which also looks a bit weird on head.I owned K550 too which I though it sounded really nice,but returned it due to some built issues.)

It would be very interesting to hear your opinion on 1R,both amped and straight of the iphone,compared to the UE 6000 and momentum.

But be carefull because it needs many hours of burn in. 4-5 hours of burn in are not enough.
So it will be also interesting to hear your take on these,before and after a burn in of 100+ more hours.

Second that, at the very least give them overnight treatment with high volume pink noise.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 113
I just realised that comparing the graphs of the Sony MDR 7550 IEM's and the Momentums, they are quite similar except for the treble regions. They actually sound somewhat similar to, though the 7550 sounds a bit drier and raw in the upper frequencies.

It makes sense why I like the Momentum's then, considering that the 7550's are also my favourite all round IEMs...

It's great that you have the 7550 IEMs too since that's the only common ground I have with you. That said I am now interested in the Momentum with your comment. Would you also mind doing a concise comparison of the others with the 7550? I'd understand it if you don't want to, though.

Love the way you post the pictures. Looking forward to the 1R impressions!

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #22 of 113
Quote:
to the 1r? i did not notice any significant changes during one week.

I also didn't notice big changes at the first 80-100 hours,because I did the burn in at low volumes out of my ipod.

After this,I gave them many more hours of burn in high volumes (not when listening to them of course)

The sound now is clearly more balanced across the frequency spectrum,more transparent and airy,while maintaining this warm and slightly coloured timbre.
My pair was too coloured and veiled when new,but now is not that bad anymore.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #23 of 113

In excited about getting the MDR-1 as well. I'm keen to see where they went with the Z1000 know how...

It's great that you have the 7550 IEMs too since that's the only common ground I have with you. That said I am now interested in the Momentum with your comment. Would you also mind doing a concise comparison of the others with the 7550? I'd understand it if you don't want to, though.
Love the way you post the pictures. Looking forward to the 1R impressions!

Ill see if I can make some notes about it :) and finally, someone says something nice about the pictures haha. That's honestly a fun bit for me...

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #26 of 113
For a portable phone, the UE6000 for sure. It's just more practical.

Otherwise in terms of sound quality it's a bit more of a preference thing. I feel the M50 is a bit darker.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #27 of 113
Oh wow I had imagined that the M50 had the brighter and more aggressive sig with its treble emphasis vs. what I have read about the UE6000 (there have been accounts of some treble roll-off). Hopefully I'll get to hear the UEs at some point for myself.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #28 of 113
Oh wow I had imagined that the M50 had the brighter and more aggressive sig with its treble emphasis vs. what I have read about the UE6000 (there have been accounts of some treble roll-off). Hopefully I'll get to hear the UEs at some point for myself.

Agree. Does anyone know if ue6000 are ready to be demoed at best buy

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #29 of 113
Quote:

The M50 definitely has a more aggressive signature with peakier treble; however the bass also hits harder than the UE6000 which is more polite in comparison. So to me the headphone sounds overall darker, whereas the UE6000 is quite mellow.
---------

Also, haven't had a chance to really give the MDR-1R's a good listen in the past few days, but they sure are comfortable!

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #30 of 113
The M50 definitely has a more aggressive signature with peakier treble; however the bass also hits harder than the UE6000 which is more polite in comparison. So to me the headphone sounds overall darker, whereas the UE6000 is quite mellow.
---------

Also, haven't had a chance to really give the MDR-1R's a good listen in the past few days, but they sure are comfortable!

What exactly does darker mean? I am new to the whole headphone thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back